testtest

Must-Have Spice Blends That Culinary Experts Swear By

Thanks Bob M I love to cook do you live in mo. If you do they have a steak shack over there they sell a spice combo that’s great on everything and if you like curry if you have a Trader Joe’s out where you live this time of year only they have a pumpkin spice curry the best absolutely delicious try it

South Indian Vegetarian is my favorite cuisine. The Indians use combinations of spices, nuts, roots, seeds, leaves and herbs that produce flavors found no where else. It is the only cuisine that I never need a salt or pepper shaker on the table. Many of the spices I've made from scratch, first, require a slight roasting, (intensifies the flavors) just enough for a color change in a small iron skillet, then processing in mortar/pedestal. Compared to other cuisines, Indian food preparation requires the most time, equipment, ingredients, and clean up. It is labor intensive and expensive but OH is it worth it. Many Indian buffets cater to the "western client" and are not really authentic Indian cooking; these are found only in areas where a concentration of Indians live. I'd like some cilantro/mint chutney with popadams right now!
There's a great Nepali and Tibetan restaurant not too far from me in St. Paul. Maybe a 30 minute drive. It's fantastic. I don't know about south Indian but it sounds good.

Thanks Bob M I love to cook do you live in mo. If you do they have a steak shack over there they sell a spice combo that’s great on everything and if you like curry if you have a Trader Joe’s out where you live this time of year only they have a pumpkin spice curry the best absolutely delicious try it

You're welcome Javbike, Nope, no Trader Joe's around here, only Aldi. - is close relation of Trader Joe's if remember right? I do curry, usually get bulk packs of that and other spices when available. Pumpkin spice curry steak sounds good, haven't tried it yet though.

Have had many different and good steaks and steak sandwiches over the years from all over the country. Texas is full of good steak shacks, too many to name each one. Sonny's BBQ is a favorite when down south. Is a down home style kick butt restaurant chain that has all kinds of good sliced BBQ meat. Meals usually come with some great garlic toast, made steak sandwiches there out of the bread and meat before they were on their menu many moons ago.

Many Tony's Italian restaurants have steaks and sandwiches that come with ground or sliced steak, tomato sauce on or with Italian bread, those are good too. "Tony's" the name, by the way and off the wall is or was the most common name used in restaurants across the country. Are many variations of just Italian restaurants. Some use sliced while some use ground meat. Curried meats are usually good stuff!

You're welcome Javbike, Nope, no Trader Joe's around here, only Aldi. - is close relation of Trader Joe's if remember right? I do curry, usually get bulk packs of that and other spices when available. Pumpkin spice curry steak sounds good, haven't tried it yet though.

Have had many different and good steaks and steak sandwiches over the years from all over the country. Texas is full of good steak shacks, too many to name each one. Sonny's BBQ is a favorite when down south. Is a down home style kick butt restaurant chain that has all kinds of good sliced BBQ meat. Meals usually come with some great garlic toast, made steak sandwiches there out of the bread and meat before they were on their menu many moons ago.

Many Tony's Italian restaurants have steaks and sandwiches that come with ground or sliced steak, tomato sauce on or with Italian bread, those are good too. "Tony's" the name, by the way and off the wall is or was the most common name used in restaurants across the country. Are many variations of just Italian restaurants. Some use sliced while some use ground meat. Curried meats are usually good stuff!
Damn I am hungry and I just had dinner ha ha

1. Emmeril's essence
2. Memphis Dust
3. Garam Masala

All 3 recipes easy to find with a google search, all 3 use items you probably have in the spice shelf. First for creole, second for all meats on the smoker (dry rub), third is used in most Indian dishes like butter chicken, for example. Got all 3 in small tupperwares in the kitchen right now....

Slap Ya Mamma

Old Bay

And most Meat Church products. The holy cow hmmmmm

1. Emmeril's essence
2. Memphis Dust
3. Garam Masala

All 3 recipes easy to find with a google search, all 3 use items you probably have in the spice shelf. First for creole, second for all meats on the smoker (dry rub), third is used in most Indian dishes like butter chicken, for example. Got all 3 in small tupperwares in the kitchen right now....

Yup, Mixing your own spice recipes is like basic cooking recipes in many ways. The spices used in a steady combination most often is usually a time saver if they're already premixed ahead of time like Allspice, ones mentioned by others here and article are. Most anything edible can be used as a spice.

Slap Ya Mamma

Old Bay

And most Meat Church products. The holy cow hmmmmm

Thanks XD, hadn't heard of those two brands, could be good ones to try. They've both got some good sites too. Have to keep an eye out for them.

Yah, good Old Bay is a great one have around for most anything. Have used for years on many various dishes.

Cavenders is one of my favorites, though I try to avoid msg and other chemicals. Indian (India) is definitely my favorite food regionally. I've never had bad Indian food. The spices are culinary magic!

Isn't always so easy, avoiding MSG is added by many countries for flavoring just like spices are. Have heard some Asian people and countries are kinda hooked on it.

Isn't always so easy, avoiding MSG is added by many countries for flavoring just like spices are. Have heard some Asian people and countries are kinda hooked on it.
Oh believe me, as a person who reads the labels and has worked to avoid chemicals, not only in foods, but in soaps, cleaning products, hygiene products, etc (basically anything that contacts my body) over the years, it's a daunting and occasionally mentally, exhausting lifestyle.

Oh believe me, as a person who reads the labels and has worked to avoid chemicals, not only in foods, but in soaps, cleaning products, hygiene products, etc (basically anything that contacts my body) over the years, it's a daunting and occasionally mentally, exhausting lifestyle.

It can be a challenge, but worth every bit of it if having a good spouse or partner who has special needs and or requirements. It can become a changeable and doable way of life if enough thought, effort's put into it. Going out to eat can be interesting at times too. Separating the likes from dislikes, the can's from the can't's from shouldn't do's is in the mix too. Have done it for years for someone else. It can work out well.

The amount of chemicals put into things for purely coloring, preservatives, fragrances or whatever reasons can be outright staggering. Awareness is key. Like salt for example? Many times it isn't really salt at all. Some people can't have iodine - plain table salt, many types of seafood, shellfish are usually loaded with it. Thankfully, there's non iodized salt to get by with most times. The seafood, can learn to do w/o or slightly adjust menu individually from time to time. Cooking w/o salt and adding your own type later on can help too.

It can be a challenge, but worth every bit of it if having a good spouse or partner who has special needs and or requirements. It can become a changeable and doable way of life if enough thought, effort's put into it. Going out to eat can be interesting at times too. Separating the likes from dislikes, the can's from the can't's from shouldn't do's is in the mix too. Have done it for years for someone else. It can work out well.

The amount of chemicals put into things for purely coloring, preservatives, fragrances or whatever reasons can be outright staggering. Awareness is key. Like salt for example? Many times it isn't really salt at all. Some people can't have iodine - plain table salt, many types of seafood, shellfish are usually loaded with it. Thankfully, there's non iodized salt to get by with most times. The seafood, can learn to do w/o or slightly adjust menu individually from time to time. Cooking w/o salt and adding your own type later on can help too.
Regarding salt, taste is the reason I quit iodized salt. Kosher salt, sea salt, hawaiian pink salt....all taste 10x better than iodized salt...and all are commonly available "pure". I can't remember the last time I used regular salt...in ANYTHING. You sometimes have to add a tad more kosher salt, but it comes in those big containers!

Regarding salt, taste is the reason I quit iodized salt. Kosher salt, sea salt, hawaiian pink salt....all taste 10x better than iodized salt...and all are commonly available "pure". I can't remember the last time I used regular salt...in ANYTHING. You sometimes have to add a tad more kosher salt, but it comes in those big containers!
I only use regular salt when baking. Otherwise it's all kosher or sea salt.

True. My challenge is that I try to adhere to a variant of the paleo diet, whereas my wife loves garbage, so I'm often tempted/challenged. It's a good test of my resolve.
The only salt I ever use or add to food is Himilayan Pink Salt. It still has it's natural minerals and tastes so much better. I also take a shot of Sole every morning to replenish what was lost during sleep. Salt, along with fat and cholesterol, has been demonized in the past, but we couldn't live or optimally function without them. Nature has it figured out but we've gotten too far away from it.

Back