testtest

My first time firing a .45ACP Springfield 1911…thoughts and one issue

I found that if when putting the slide stop back in-with the pistol cocked flip the safety up and install the stop part way just enough to get past the initial start-then flip the safety back down and finish the slide stop-
The safety being in the safe position takes some spring tension off the plunger in the tube-

Not at all trying to imply idiot but someone recently listed this website called idiotscratch.com. I had lost all my favorites when I got a new computer but this site sells a piece to use to help prevent scratching your 1911.
Wow that is an amazing piece of 2001 web design nostalgia. I almost thought that the website was purposely set up to be Myspace-tastic as irony.

I'm willing to wager the slide dropping when you eject the mag is happening with one mag in particular. With that mag, the follower isn’t allowing the slide stop to fully lock, and is just barely holding it in place with mag spring tension; when you drop the mag, the slide is released. Another possibility is that the magazine is slightly dragging on the slide stop when it ejects…

Try numbering your mags and see if one mag is the culprit.

My money is on this.

I also second Anni's suggestion about the sharpie. It works very well.

And I wouldn't worry about brass scratches. That is inevitable. Even on shotguns and ARs. There's no future in worrying about touching those up. Especially on a gun you plan on actually shooting.

when i can find this "special tool", i use this, rather than my AAA membership card

n7jTOwr5aWgdKZaKEgrCqhy962W2Hiejs5gAhbDhEFvLapG6zCAP6UIsmAbAI7bCOZnKhG1E8iqqLJZCYWhRN7--SmRNNX6G7GzVyFmcPbZcysMAVK4N_o9aHazXolZBRekLBRvrE0I0qQ9Ir1AeujVF5Wh4CuOfH4-i5GS7ItjsQP6n7r-C-XziyDXtfnmzi5D9E6SiHwN7sCFPQehYW6aOtuzeot6QdlSsM1G1NicdoA19ca7Ew-Tz3223jcRXENSluLdUKD5Sr0GZHhIrM8VLneKWoNZ20Gjk3cQ8YgbQRlSCrXU9DaVCjgwaWR3ZgfJ5FSgIkHfEPXCInCUSuTmbaDvFJMeh1tO6Yxt7Om9BzFSQatYZGTH97lZunjKz48Z4RUGD8ksGjlVxqbn4xXKIA4ZhJv8JfU61zVUCvR3g9I2oFMGCz_4JRihBDt_nUopTOqj25DrRRAQEelG2OdgSuuXot6RjG_PYpcERgP_SCeV64K4i8DHQ7Aw2S_1IuNKNbSkXoJ9_QQsY6y9V35AY3aMXb7yjD5ES6ZjmP-_PLbt20QHUe8GqexChEQZ1lWvvDHm541Kbt8RSw1BJwBL2oFIV_eU6p2Mi17Yl77kFMuxy6C9CuX-RpORrR93O58vVd_16sd4DcPitbyeRHVkLm0WmpvWcq6zLdZBjlQUlaiFXfD5iGggp_qBXCjYXNEHWXxOvztFQMFyT79h-t80=w1250-h937-no

all that it is, is a piece of laminated plastic, that i can get from the bait shop, for a fishing license.

as you can see here, he put a yellow "post it note", in there, cuz i was inquiring about AR 15 red dot sights.

that guy, has a habit of laminating things he writes down...lol...lol

so i had an instant tool, but i always misplace it, in my gun cleaning tote bag...lol...lol

i cut it out, just enough to go under the slide stop area, to avoid that idiot scratch....

you can buy a "tool" like this, for like a few dollars, plus shipping, but why..???

ask your local fishing/hunting license place to just give you one?

just make sure he runs it thru the machine to make it firm.

I found that if when putting the slide stop back in-with the pistol cocked flip the safety up and install the stop part way just enough to get past the initial start-then flip the safety back down and finish the slide stop-
The safety being in the safe position takes some spring tension off the plunger in the tube-
just for the "schlitz and giggles" aspect, i had to try your way...as i never seen or heard of that way before.

darned if it works great too.

but, i have to get a good hold of that slide on my Emissary, (the gun i tried it on), cuz that slide stop lever, will pop out.

Yeah, after calling Springfield I realized that the plunger had to be pushed in. By then the scratches were already visible.

I’m not that concerned as she’s not a safe Queen. She’s for shooting, and it’s one of the reasons I got a relatively inexpensive plain parkerized model for my first 1911. This way I can make the mistakes and learn, and then if I choose to get another (more expensive) 1911, I will have already learned the best practices and made the newbie mistakes. 🙂

Is there a way to touch up parkerizing the way you can use Birchwood Casey for touching up bluing on steel or for aluminum anodizing?
My first was a Ruger SR1911. I gave it the "idiot mark".. Learned alot with that gun. It's still one of my favorites. Have a couple of nicer 1911s now. Kimber RAPIDE, and Kimber Pro Carry 2. But they don't shoot/run any better than the SR. A RONIN is next on my list.. Have lots of other guns, but this 1911 thing defies logic..

Last edited:
My first was a Ruger SR1911. I gave it the "idiot mark".. Learned alot with that gun. It's still one of my favorites. Have a couple of nicer 1911s now. Kimber RAPIDE, and Kimber Pro Carry 2. But they don't shoot/run any better than the SR. A RONIN is next on my list.. Have lots of other guns, but this 1911 thing defies logic..
you will like the Ronin.

there is no logic to the love affair many have with the 1911's.

it's like a Harley, if it has to be explained, no one would understand.

just go with the flow....

yay-yes.gif

Could just be the ammo your using, or the extractor is tight which may loosen up after a time. I would say see if it does it with other brands of ammo, but I have seen this and have had it before, nothing really to be concerned about. If I may ask do the fired cases gave any small dings in them?

you will like the Ronin.

there is no logic to the love affair many have with the 1911's.

it's like a Harley, if it has to be explained, no one would understand.

just go with the flow....

yay-yes.gif
Have the other issue too... 2015 Wide Glide is my daily driver. And restoring a 75 Low Rider. Being from the AMF years it's not a real desirable bike. But i love the look, and always wanted one. I have a ways to go, and already have more in it than it will be worth. But thats how it goes sometimes...lol.

The other thing I noticed is the brass seems to be hitting the slide and has already rubbed away the parkerizing.

The ejecting brass was flying, but I don’t have anything to compare it to. Was using 230 grain FMJ WWB ammo.

Is it typical to see this kind of mark behind the ejection port on these?
Just call SA, They have great customer service. Theres something wrong with that gun that cant be fixed on the internet. I have a few 1911s and love them..and will be buying more. I don't understand why it's the only gun that people will make all kinds of excuses for.. "It needs to break in, it needs to run wet, this or that will work itself out"..etc. You paid good money for the gun..it should run out of the box...

Just call SA, They have great customer service. Theres something wrong with that gun that cant be fixed on the internet. I have a few 1911s and love them..and will be buying more. I don't understand why it's the only gun that people will make all kinds of excuses for.. "It needs to break in, it needs to run wet, this or that will work itself out"..etc. You paid good money for the gun..it should run out of the box...
About restoring your Low Rider, thats called never ending spending. Years ago a friend who was our Corvette club president restored Corvettes . He would show them for a while and sell them and start over. Someone asked him why and he said it was great therapy and he didnt have to lay on any couch. And Harleys are great even during the amf years.So enjoy.

Back