testtest

New firearm enthusiast

I like the looks of the Springfield Armory Saint and the Hellion. What do you all think about these?
I own a Saint 5.56, Saint .308 and Hellion.

All have been flawless.
All have been abused and beaten on hog hunting. Regularly. Like all the damn time.
I’m a south paw, so the no tools required 1 min change on the Hellion to left eject is awesome. Buddy needs to use the gun…. Change in the field and he is good to go right eject in 1 min. Its bad a$$.

I run all 3 with thermals and suppressors. Rain. Mud. Dust.
Have not had one of the 3 ever fail me yet.
But, LWRC just did send us free guns for testing .. so they have upped the game. Their new 6.8 is the damn bomb

SA rifles without NV and older pic
54F8E8EE-F085-4E65-B71B-FF81B4634A00.jpeg
3277067C-9C44-498C-A195-774F2846F1D1.jpeg

Welcome from Tempe, AZ,

Ideally hit a range and try out a few options for EDC - Hellcat, Shield plus, Sig P365 varieties, Glock 43x, etc.

I went thru the following (owned all) - Glock 43; Sig P365; Sig P365XL; Walther PPS M2 (loved this one - but with my aging eyes went dots and wanted higher capacity); Glock 43X; Sig P365 macro grip.

I have always come back to the Sig P365XL - its the Goldilocks EDC for me. Grip (original or Wilson Combat), capacity, concealability (under T shirt and shorts in AZ most of the year), etc. The P365XL just works for me.

Top - P365XL with macro grip module (since sold)
Middle - P365XL with Wilson Combat grip - my EDC
Bottom - P365XL Spectre w/ Wilson Combat grip

All with Holosun 507K in green (I'm 59 with astigmatism in both eyes - green works best for me.

View attachment 45570
You simply cannot go wrong with a P365.
IMG_5770.jpeg

Or a VP9SK
IMG_6084.jpeg

You simply cannot go wrong with a P365.
View attachment 45573
Or a VP9SK
View attachment 45574

The thing about the Sig P365 series (and other Sigs) is the modularity - factory and aftermarket parts/mods/accessories are almost endless in how you want to build or customize the P365 FCU (Fire Control Unit).

Personally, I can just no longer do a stock factory black mass market firearm - for whatever reason, I have a compulsion to modify/customize.

Welcome from Tempe, AZ,

Ideally hit a range and try out a few options for EDC - Hellcat, Shield plus, Sig P365 varieties, Glock 43x, etc.

I went thru the following (owned all) - Glock 43; Sig P365; Sig P365XL; Walther PPS M2 (loved this one - but with my aging eyes went dots and wanted higher capacity); Glock 43X; Sig P365 macro grip.

I have always come back to the Sig P365XL - its the Goldilocks EDC for me. Grip (original or Wilson Combat), capacity, concealability (under T shirt and shorts in AZ most of the year), etc. The P365XL just works for me.

Top - P365XL with macro grip module (since sold)
Middle - P365XL with Sig gray grip module - my EDC (I now have a gray Wilson Combat grip on this one)
Bottom - P365XL Spectre w/ Wilson Combat grip

All with Holosun 507K in green (I'm 59 with astigmatism in both eyes - green works best for me.

View attachment 45570
All of these look great.

All of these look great.
just remember to go to a gun store, and hold each one that you can. i don't have small hands, nor large, but i can tell you that on the Sig 365, or the Hellcat, i need the pinky finger "extension" on the magazines, for a firmer grip. otherwise, my pinky finger is just hanging out there....

some smaller guns are great for concealment, while others are a PITA.

for the record, i own the Hellcat, and would like to have the Sig 365 XL

I understand the basics of what a platform is, but no details yet. I know some of the parts of these guns, but have never done anything to modify the few weapons I have. The only thing I have done is hunt with my grandad's old 12 gauge, fire the MAC 90 in their woods and clean the weapons.

This talk about me being a shotgun guru is seriously being over blown. It's probable that I am one of, if not the most enthusiastic shotgun junkie on the board, but there are several guys here who are more suited to the title "Guru".

At your stage in your new "Gun enthusiasm" a smart approach to shotguns specifically would be to determine just how enthusiastic you are about them. If your end goal is simply to have a reliable and effective home defense shotgun there is no end to the options available to you and very likely the best route is the K.I.S.S. solution. Which is Mossberg 500/ 590 or Remington 870, pump action, short barrel with a comfortable butt stock and minimal LOP ( length of pull). Price point on these shotguns is generally in the $500 range. There are a great number of shotguns that will fill this role above and below that price point though. So your budget for a shotgun is a consideration. 20 gauge short, double barrel coach gun works, Remington tac-14 works. Lots of options, but if you are going to just have it by the bed or in the closet strictly for worse case scenarios then I highly recommend either pump or break action.

If you intend to actually train with a shotgun and utilize it for more than just leaning against the wall by your bed I would suggest buying the best defensive shotgun you can afford. And I would suggest saving up if necessary to increase your budget for this as much as possible. Buy once cry once. It's kind of a drag to spend $1000 on a shotgun only to be enticed a few months later by a super sweet $2000 shotgun. However, there are a handful of shotguns ranging from $900-$2500, any one of which will be a high quality, reliable and effective defensive/combat shotgun. Mossberg 940 Pro Tactical, Beretta A300 Ultima, IWI TS-12, Beretta 1301 Tactical, Benelli M4. FYI The Beretta A300 has a butt stock you will have to live with since there are no aftermarket options, but that aside it has most of the features one wants in a defensive shotgun. Mossberg 940 has most of those features too and is supremely modifiable. Beretta 1301 T can be set up in endless configurations, but is out of the box an utterly reliable and effective ready to go to war shotgun. The TS-12 is pretty much what it is, not a lot of things you can do to it to modify any of the practical functions, but when you see it and especially see it in action you will understand what it's appeal is. The Benelli M4 is simply the best defensive/combat shotgun ever produced. It comes in many flavors and can be modified extensively. It is utterly effective and reliable and is the shotgun the Marine Corps has carried for a few decades now.

The first step is to decide what role you want your shotgun to perform and decide on your maximum budget. And brother, regardless of what you decide I HIGHLY suggest taking a shotgun class or two and training with your shotgun until you are totally and unflinchingly familiar with manipulating the controls and have a very, very high degree of knowledge of precisely how it patterns with the ammunition you are going to be using. I and others here have a very long list of preferences and knowledge about this load or that load and the endless number of modifications and aftermarket products available for any specific shotgun, but that is a conversation for a later date.

Oh and for the record, I have 5 or 6 defensive shotguns and the one I consider the best is the Beretta 1301 Tactical with a Mesa Urbino stock and 7 round tube. However, by the end of the year I intend to be in possession of a Benelli M4 ( M1014) and I suspect this might bump the Beretta down to the number 2 position.

Back