testtest

New gun owner looking for advice

I intend to use it for home defense. The immediate goal is to become comfortable and safe with it. Not planning to conceal carry for now. I have taken several safety classes in last few years and plan to get a few hours of private instruction also.
That Ronin is an excellent choice for your purpose; it’s a heavy for a 9mm, which will give it light recoil.

For spare magazines, I would recommend looking at 10 round versions; the ones made by Wilson Combat are absolutely top-notch.

I’ve never used the Vickers model, so I can’t say if they are worth the extra $20+ over the standard ETM (which I have used, and have not had issues in my 9mm 1911’s)…but I do know that Wilson does not make junk parts/accessories.

Welcome to the forum.

This right here. What is your intended use. Fun at the range? Personal defense ( concealed carry) home defense?

The most important thing right now that is universal, regardless of your intended use, is at least a basic pistol safety course. Check local ranges or ask a trusted friend or Law Enforcement Officer. In this course you will learn how to properly and safely shoot, clean, load, store and handle your firearm. If I were you I might look into a concealed carry class because you will ( or should anyway) learn all those things in that class and as a bonus take care of the qualifications needed to obtain a concealed carry permit.

Other than extra magazines, an Uplula loader and quality target ammunition I would hold off on buying too much stuff just yet. Particularly I wouldn't buy a holster yet because running out and buying a holster based on your very limited knowledge of guns in general and that gun in particular is the very best way to start your collection of unused holsters that wind up taking space in a drawer somewhere. Don't cheap out on the magazines either. Lots of people have good luck with Mec-Gar aftermarket mags, but I would never buy one as long as Wilson, Chip McCormick, Ed Brown or even Kimber produced magazines for my gun. Decent electronic ear muffs are a must and a good pair of safety glasses.

Welcome to the forum from Missouri.
What makes safety glasses "a good pair"? I need a basic, start-up pair for now...

What makes safety glasses "a good pair"? I need a basic, start-up pair for now...
walmart, home depot, lowes sell safety glasses.

usually some sort of plastic. gun ranges sell them too.

around $15.00

walmart where i live sell the "Allen" brand of shooters glasses

you would like for them to wrap around your face, to prevent the hot shell casing to wedge itself between the frame and your face.

one more note, wear a shirt that buttons up to the very top and keep it buttoned.

DO NOT wear low cut tank tops, cuz you gonna get burnt....

Cleaning kits, I have been using Otis for over 20yrs and I still carry the original pocket model as its always ready. To secure your weapon, I found a good pair of handcuffs works for car and home. Don't over think brand or type of bullets focus on placement because if you can't hit the target you lose.
How do you use the handcuffs to secure your gun in the car or at home?

How do you use the handcuffs to secure your gun in the car or at home?
i never heard of this myself. i'd surmise one cuff thru the trigger area, and one to say the bed post?

for the car? got me.......

i have no kids here, so my gun is not needed to be locked up.

when the grand kids come over, THEN, it gets put into the closet, all ammo removed, and the bedroom door locked.

all grand kids know darned full well to NOT enter rooms that the doors are closed.

Hello @Luminita200 -

My apologies for the length of this post. I write word-walls to begin with 😅 , but as I am trying to address all of your questions at one go, this is going to be somewhat even more dense than usual. I'll try to break things up a bit to make reading easier, but be forewarned!

Before I begin, I'd like to say that as a first-generation immigrant myself, I want to welcome you to this hobby/sport, and that as a shooter, I applaud your courage in getting back on the gun even after such a disastrous initial experience! (y)

RE: the 1911 -

Count me among those who actually really like your gun selection.

The 1911/2011 is a wonderfully "soft" shooting platform, particularly in 9mm format and with a heavy, full frame. That and the straight-back trigger path just can't be beat. Even for many good shooters, the platform is still considered something of a cheat. ;)

That said, I would urge you to become well-trained with the thumb safety. There was a time when Rob Pincus - a well known firearms trainer - and his disciples offered a standing challenge to waive course tuition for any 1911/2011 user as long as the shooter did not once bobble weapons manipulation during the course of the class. There's a reason why he and his made such a dare.

While many in the community do favor the soft-shooting AR15 as a primary home-defense weapon, the truth of the matter is that it is a "scary looking" - if not also scary sounding, without suppressor - gun. That said, I would like to gently urge you to give it a try when you feel comfortable. As encouragement, I will simply leave this section of the post noting that when I asked my then 11 year old daughter what she'd rather "hold the fort" with, a 9mm handgun or the .223/5.56 AR15, she chose the latter without hesitation, specifically because it is so soft-recoiling and controllable.

Ostensibly, the AR in our safe-room is for her (while the 12-gauge is for me), but the counter to this is that the AR does *_perhaps_* require a bit more training -and physical strength- to employ in a dynamic manner.

Also, it should be said that as @Bassbob noted, the 1911/2011 platform tends to, on-average, run as "ammo sensitive" and is perhaps also a bit more maintenance intensive versus the average striker-fired handgun. To draw an analogy that's often heard in the gun-world, if a Glock is a Honda or Toyota, a 1911 is a Porsche. The increase in performance comes hand-in-hand with things like the need for premium fuel (which we can liken to ammo-sensitivity, which I'll explore with you in just a second) and maintenance.

-----

RE: guns "liking/disliking" ammo -

As others have noted, based on your intent to use this weapon for home-defense, it's important for you to now look to test out different cartridges to see what "your gun likes."

Everyone's unique weapon is just that: unique. Your 1911 Ronin 9mm isn't quite the same gun as your husband's brother's cousin's 1911 Ronin 9mm or the 1911 Ronin 9mm that your favorite instructor owns. Yours - much like you as a person - is the one with that unique serial number inscribed on the gun. Even with the exacting tolerances of today's modern manufacturing processes and the stringent QC/QA that a high-quality gun undergoes via a highly-respected manufacturer (and the same can be said for ammunition), the real-world phenomenon of tolerance-stacking can and will occur. And every once in a while, those tolerances stack unfavorably.

Towards the specific-ammo (i.e. make/type) -to- unique gun relationship, as you try different makes (brands/manufacturers) and types (both bullet construction and powder load) of ammo in your gun, keep a record (a notebook is fine, but a modern spreadsheet on the computer is worth the time/trouble, if you're so inclined) of how the gun takes to that particular ammo. There can not only be differences in terms of how the round prints downrange (its "external ballistics," how the bullet behaves once it's left the barrel - "does it go where you aimed it?"), but also -and perhaps even more importantly- in how it functions your weapon (does it fully cycle the slide in a robust manner? or is it rather weak in doing so? and if it's the latter, does it cause a "jam" - a stoppage or malfunction).

Ammo that doesn't properly function your weapon may be a joke, embarrassment, or possibly an annoyance when on the practice range, but if it doesn't work the gun properly when it's used in a defensive situation, that's going to be bad, bad juju. ;)

For training/practice, the cheapest ammo that will properly function the gun is what most of us use:
"range fodder." If we expect to be shooting for more demanding accuracy/precision, we'll likely use range fodder for which we've vetted the accuracy/precision of.

For defensive ammo, we'll typically vet the ammo for external ballistics and check for reliability in the gun's function over the course of 50 to 100 rounds.

-----

RE: the range bag -

I really like the ones by MidwayUSA -

^ This one has served me well for over 10 years. While I do not shoot competitively, I am an active range-rat. :)

I detailed my setup (at the time) in this old post (from 2017) on XDTalk -

Fully loaded with guns and ammo, this bag, due to its size and capacity, can weigh quite a bit. If this weight may be a problem for you (I don't know if you're like my wife - who, while not physically a powerhouse is nevertheless a very powerful woman in other respects - or if you're like my daughter, who now at 16 is a competitive rower), a smaller bag might be more agreeable -

^ This would be similar to the bag my daughter uses:

^ Note that this thread overall had some very good bags cited as examples, and would be worth your time to explore.

Overall, you'll likely find your handgun(s) and its ammo to be the biggest contributors to bag weight.

If you can at least separate ammo from the equation, this can itself make life easier for you, here, there's a few options:

Metal US surplus ammo cans are a range staple and can be had cheap - your local "Army/Navy," gun-store, "cop shop" or even farming supply store will usually carry them. Take the time to select one that's in good shape, and it will literally serve the rest of your lifetime, and beyond. Modern plastic counterparts by the likes of "MTM" are a bit lighter to begin with and usually have closures that are easier on the hands, but depending on the specific type, their detachable grab-handles can detach at the worst times 😅 - usually, as long as you're carrying them one-to-a-hand, they'll be just fine.

An ammo bag such as this one by Cloud Defensive - https://www.clouddefensive.com/ammo-transport-bag/ - is yet another way to go. There are cheaper, foreign-made imitations - kinda just like the MidwayUSA bags above (which are foreign-made imitations, themselves).

-----

RE: Eye protection -

Look for something that's comfortable for you, if you can try-on. Many "cop shops," sporting goods stores, and gun-shops/shooting ranges now have display stands of the more popular mid-range to high-priced offerings from the likes of Magpul, Smith Optics, and Oakley.

If you go on an off-day -preferably at off-peak hours- you can likely even talk a clerk into letting you try on various lower-priced offerings that are just hanging on the shelves.

Why is trying-on important?

Because you'll want something that fits right. Comfort is one thing, but having a good fit around the ears (if you intend to wear over-the-ears "muffs" type ear protection, bring yours along with you as you shop for glasses - or if you plan to purchase from the store, ask to try on both at the same time) is critical to the earmuffs offering you the level of protection that they say they do. The earpiece of the glasses presents as a huge intrusion into that seal, and how any one person may "take" to a pair - and its interaction with the earmuffs you've selected - is highly variable.

The other aspect of fit is how the glasses perform optically. As something that comes between your eyes and the outside world, it is a medium, and low-quality glasses can present significant distortions to your vision which can not only cause you trouble sighting the weapon, but may actually induce visual discomfort as a result of eye strain.

While I won't suggest that you have to spend hundreds of dollars - particularly as a newer shooter - I would like to implore you to invest a bit of money, here, for these two considerations alone.

Finally, keep in mind that while typical Z87.1 impact standards are sufficient, jumping up to military APEL standards (https://blog.safetyglassesusa.com/how-to-identify-ballistic-rated-eyewear/) is again something that I would ask you to consider.

The best way to improve is to shoot as often as you can. Hopefully, the more you shoot the more comfortable you'll get handling your pistol, and the more familiar you'll get with how it operates. Never hesitate to ask questions. As you can see, you'll get plenty of answers when you do. My advice is to get a package of paper plates, some stick-on orange dots and start out practicing at a distance of 10 feet and work out to 21 feet (7 yards) when you go to the range. When you can put all of your rounds in a paper plate then you'll start feeling more confident with your ability and ready for the next level. It's sorta like that wax on, wax off thing; practice makes perfection. :)
22-250.JPG

Welcome, Luminita200! I read through this entire post and it seems to me you have a lot of advice to sift through. I have not checked all the gun manufacturers, but Springfield Armory and Smith & Wesson both have several videos available that may be able to answer additional questions. YouTube also has several Wilson Combat videos that are great to watch.

Good luck with your familiarization process. Let us know here as you come up with specific questions.

Great to have you here!

Let me add a piece of info that may shed light on my choice of gun. I had a very bad experience with a gun as a teenager - I am from Romania, when I went to college it was mandatory enrolment in the army for one year, which included mostly monthly classes and taking apart a rifle and putting it together etc. We had to shoot it in a field range once, 3 bullets, while laying down and leaning the gun on sand bags. No training in how to hold it or proper positioning, no ear protection or eye protection. People in Romania do not own guns like here and we don't have public shooting ranges. It was in summer, we were wearing thin Army uniforms, no padding on shoulder. That day most students they brought in were from colleges with high proportion of women. There was a lot of noise, smell of gun powder, military guys with stars on their shoulder, way too much testosterone and little regard for women (it's a cultural thing) annoyed they had to be there, yelling at us to shoot and do it fast because they had to get the day done. Safety was loose by comparison with what we do here. I shot the first bullet and the recoil of the gun hit me really hard (clearly I did not know how to hold it). I shot the other two through tears, not seeing the target while I was being screamed at to finish the rounds. At the end of the day I had a cracked clavicle and the arm in a sling for several weeks and a severe fear of guns. I was 19.
So...that's what I had to overcome and I did it here with gradual exposure and classes. First gun class I took, I shot one 22 bullet and the old fear rushed back (I swear my shoulder burned!) and paralyzed me. I put the gun down and backed away, thinking I can't do it. I had an amazing woman instructor that figured out fast how to help me and 5 hours later I was able to shoot any of the guns they had in the class, up to 357 magnum. Can't say I enjoyed it, but I did the class and 2 years later I took it again and did not freeze.

This gun may not be best for SD but my goal was to find a gun that has less recoil, fits well in my hand and I enjoy shooting so I have an incentive to practice. After trying A LOT of guns in various calibers (probably a good 30 in 9mm), this was the one that fit my criteria best for my current goals. Does it mean it will me my last gun or that it is ideal for SD? Probably not...but it's a start... and I do like this gun!
First, congratulations on choosing a fine firearm and for working to overcome your fears. Remember that your firearm needs to be an extension of your will. You are in control of it, not the other way around.

For the range, you'll need a padded gun case or hard case if you don't have one. Small pack to put ammo in to keep it together in the larger bag, like a fanny pack size. A heavy backpack will probably be all you need to put all your stuff in. Cleaning kit and oil. I use the spray Rem Oil and usually choose a second bottle with a needle applicator as well. Cleaning kits are a dime a dozen. If you have trouble loading it, Magula makes a 1911 mag loader plate for their pistol magazine loader. Id recommend getting both even if you don't have trouble. Save your thumbs if you like to shoot a lot.

There is the 1911 specific part. You can find the loader on the sight as well.

You'll need to break in the 1911. FMJ ammo is best because it feeds the best. After about every 50rds or so, lock the slide back and use that bottle of oil with the needle applicator and put just a couple drops on the slide rails. helps lubricate during the breakin but also helps expel crap from the contact points during the breakin. Will help ensure the slide rails mate up well when you are done. Essentially, when you are shooting it to break it in, you are rubbing two metal surfaces together to the point they are sliding smoothly against one another. That's all you are really doing when you are breaking it in. That and working the oil into the joints and contact points. Do this for the first 5-6 boxes of ammo and your breakin should be done. Strip the gun back down and give it a thorough cleaning again.

Springfield has the best customer service and warranty service I have had to deal with. If you are having problems after that first 5-6 boxes of ammo, call Springfield, tell them what its doing. they'll have you send it to them and fix it at no charge.

I clean mine every 300-500 rounds. Keeps the grit from wearing the gun out prematurely and keeps everything feeding and operating smoothly. I would recommend Sig V-Crown hollow points for self defense. When I tested them, they expand beautifully to .70 inches. That's twice the diameter they originally were.

Again, Congrats on the gun and enjoy the world of firearms to its fullest extent. The more comfortable you get, the more you will want to do.

Ideally one that fits your face well and has some kind of tinting ( your preference), but you can figure that out when you get more familiar with your options. For now just pick up a pair of cheap, comfortable, clear plastic safety glasses. Home Depot, Lowes. Probably there are some at the facility where you are taking your training classes.

Amazon. For Magazines,
Good idea. I have had really good luck at Amazon for holsters and other accessories. And when the firing pin block on our CZ-75 wore out (a common problem on these pistols) the YouTuber that had a nice video on how to repair, included a link to replacement pins on Amazon (which is where I got mine).

Glasses should be impact resistant in a wrap around style or with side shields. Mine are single prescription with the front sight in sharp focus. I use a brown/red tint and have used dark grey in the past since I shoot outdoors in bright sun. I do use Midway, Brownell's and Natchez for most shooting supplies. I also use a handful of bullet suppliers that have been safe to order from online.

i never heard of this myself. i'd surmise one cuff thru the trigger area, and one to say the bed post?

for the car? got me.......

i have no kids here, so my gun is not needed to be locked up.

when the grand kids come over, THEN, it gets put into the closet, all ammo removed, and the bedroom door locked.

all grand kids know darned full well to NOT enter rooms that the doors are closed.
The seat rails are bolted to the floor boards and most rails have holes or use seat which in my car has steel rods under padding or hinge.

I have a metal bed frame and neighbors would more than likely get nosey when someone leaves with your bed frame and its not you.
Reminds me of Wendy's restaurant getting robbed when I was a teenager. No one would open the cash register, so he took off with the register. Cops caught him a couple blocks away because he wouldn't put the register down to run :ROFLMAO:

To answer your question, I would get the following just for starters. This is not a complete list, but should suit you well for starters.
Get a quality decent sized range bag. reasoning is, as you progress you will add more things to your range kit that suits your needs. Everyone is different. However, I would gat the following Kryptek range bag. It it quality made and holds lots of items.

Also, get a trauma pack for your bag. One with chest seals, tourniquet and such. look at North American Rescue:
https://www.narescue.com/law-enforcement-tems-products/tactical-medical-kits

Get you a quality pair of eye protection. keep them in a sock if not in a hard case. The sock will prevent them from being scratched. As well as some electronic ear muffs. The Walkers Razor slim models work fine. Also get a mag loader if you are doing full days out at the range. Portable cleaning kit for your caliber.
https://www.dactec.com/collections/...ter-8pc-compact-universal-pistol-cleaning-kit
Keep some Lucas gun oil in your bag. A small tool kit you put together. Like a small pick, phillips screwdriver, flat head screwdriver. Also get some colored duct tape, a marker to mark your shots, and use this as well it may help you define what you need to do to correct any mistakes.
You can print it out and take it with you to the range.
Last but not least. Take an extra mag with your self defense ammunition with you. Just because you go tot he range does not mean you should disarm yourself by shooting all the ammo you thought to take to the range and now have an empty gun.

Back