testtest

New Hellcat RDP - Pinhole in the Barrel?

Redleg99

Operator
Hi,

I'm going to email Springfield Armory customer service and attach some pics, showing a small pit or pinhole on the side of the barrel, down near the end that is closest to the breach.

I noticed it while cleaning it the other day, but just now taking pics.

Does anyone know what this is, or what caused it, or ever seen something like this?

Should I be concerned?

Attachments

• IMG_20210722_205934235.jpg
    IMG_20210722_205934235.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 118
  • IMG_20210722_205820091.jpg
    IMG_20210722_205820091.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 108
  • IMG_20210722_210355755.jpg
    IMG_20210722_210355755.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 120
I've not ever noticed one in my bbl and can't go get it right now to look. My gun safe is in the bedroom and the wife is already turned in and sound asleep. If I were to go in and get that gun out of the safe right now, and in doing so wake her up, I'd be forced to use that gun right then and there ........ on myself.

It would be a much easier death than if she got hold of me after waking her up. Know what I mean??? I'll look tomorrow and let you know what I find.

I've not ever noticed one in my bbl and can't go get it right now to look. My gun safe is in the bedroom and the wife is already turned in and sound asleep. If I were to go in and get that gun out of the safe right now, and in doing so wake her up, I'd be forced to use that gun right then and there ........ on myself.

It would be a much easier death than if she got hold of me after waking her up. Know what I mean??? I'll look tomorrow and let you know what I find.
Yeah,
Don't go waking up the Misses late at night...😀

Hi,

I'm going to email Springfield Armory customer service and attach some pics, showing a small pit or pinhole on the side of the barrel, down near the end that is closest to the breach.

I noticed it while cleaning it the other day, but just now taking pics.

Does anyone know what this is, or what caused it, or ever seen something like this?

Should I be concerned?
Welcome, Redleg. Interesting screen name. Are you a cannon-cocker?

Redleg,
I don’t own a Hellcat, but I cannot see a purpose for a hole like that on the barrel.
U might want to PM (private message) XDMan or Talyn here on this board and ask them…

welcome aboard !

Welcome, Redleg. Interesting screen name. Are you a cannon-cocker?
No, but I was in a Field Artillery unit when I was stationed over in Berlin, Germany back in the 80's.

I was Signal, took care of all the comms equipment in the SP-109 guns and support vehicles.

I was in the Advance Party and once I had wire and phones ran so the Gunners could talk to Chief of Smoke in setting up their azimuths and firing positions, I would help out and got to actually send a few rounds down range each training mission etc...

It was the best Unit/assignment I had while in the Army so thought using Redleg as a handle would honor all the folks I served with.

I just stripped my down, and I too have that hole in the left side of the barrel. Not sure what it's for but I'm guessing it's intentional.
Interesting...

I wonder if it is some sort of stamp? Maybe there is a very tiny serial number inside that hole, like they engrave numbers onto diamonds?

Or maybe one of the dies at the SA factory has a small blemish in it?

I sent a support email to customer service and sent the same pics. They are taking a look at and will let me know.

I'll share on this thread what I hear back.

Gas escape. Ruptured primer or split case could be catastrophic, plus they rate the hellcat for +P or is it +P+? Either way you need a safety vent prior to breaking the slide and blowing the breach into your face.

Gas escape. Ruptured primer or split case could be catastrophic, plus they rate the hellcat for +P or is it +P+? Either way you need a safety vent prior to breaking the slide and blowing the breach into your face.
Yup, likely a "blow hole", same on bolt action rifle receivers.

Hellcats are rated for +P only, no +P+, I know of no firearm that’s rated for +P+.

No, but I was in a Field Artillery unit when I was stationed over in Berlin, Germany back in the 80's.

I was Signal, took care of all the comms equipment in the SP-109 guns and support vehicles.

I was in the Advance Party and once I had wire and phones ran so the Gunners could talk to Chief of Smoke in setting up their azimuths and firing positions, I would help out and got to actually send a few rounds down range each training mission etc...

It was the best Unit/assignment I had while in the Army so thought using Redleg as a handle would honor all the folks I served with.
HOOAH!, close enough. Again, welcome aboard.

Ok,

Here is the official reply from Springfield Armory:

Thank you for the photos; they helped. This is a machine mark. Some firearms have them and some may even have 2; it’s just a matter of which machine they were manufactured on.

Enjoy your Hellcat and have a nice weekend,

Rhonda

Rhonda L | Customer Service
Springfield Armory
420 West Main Street
Geneseo, IL 61254

Back