testtest

New Prodigy trigger pull weight only 2.7'ish lbs. after 650 rds.

JimmyC

Alpha
I only have about 650 rds. through my new 4.25" Prodigy. I was expecting the trigger pull to be upwards of 4 to 5 lbs. being new, based on various reviews I read. I bought a Lyman digital trigger pull gauge to check it. I was surprised it was under 3 lbs.

So what's the problem then? My plan was to use the Prodigy for EDC. In that role I would like a trigger pull just under 4 lbs., I think. If so, what is the best course of action if I want the trigger pull around 3.7 lbs.?

I considered that the trigger gauge might be off. I checked various other pistols including a 1911 (SA Operator), a few SA/DA guns, and one striker fired gun and they seem to be what I would expect. I'll check the gauge against a known weight soon but I am curious what everyone thinks about 2.7 lbs. for EDC. Maybe its just personal preference.

I only have about 650 rds. through my new 4.25" Prodigy. I was expecting the trigger pull to be upwards of 4 to 5 lbs. being new, based on various reviews I read. I bought a Lyman digital trigger pull gauge to check it. I was surprised it was under 3 lbs.

So what's the problem then? My plan was to use the Prodigy for EDC. In that role I would like a trigger pull just under 4 lbs., I think. If so, what is the best course of action if I want the trigger pull around 3.7 lbs.?

I considered that the trigger gauge might be off. I checked various other pistols including a 1911 (SA Operator), a few SA/DA guns, and one striker fired gun and they seem to be what I would expect. I'll check the gauge against a known weight soon but I am curious what everyone thinks about 2.7 lbs. for EDC. Maybe its just personal preference.
It’s a 1911-(ish). You’re gonna carry it locked and cocked right ? How confident are you that you can keep your finger off the trigger until you’re ready to shoot it ?

As noted as long as finger stays off trigger it SHOULD be a moot point. Perception in legal issues is a tricky thing. Back in the revolver days some police departments had thier DA/SA triggers changed to DA only to avoid the perception, and possible actual problems with a light SA trigger in shootings.

But if the trigger is out of spec you might wish to contact Springfield.

Last edited:
Hi,

With enough training and practice, I would not have a problem a light-ish trigger on my EDC. But you must do what is comfortable for you.

Welcome to the forum! :)

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Not an issue with a 1911 with grip and thumb safety.

Maybe more info than you wanted but I offer this.

What is important is your draw and presentation procedure. With all safety protocols observed, using your carry holster, practice your draw, presentation, safety disengagement, and trigger engagement. The thumb safety comes off when the gun is pointed at the target as you drive the gun toward the target, and you can touch the trigger when you have an acceptable sight picture on your target. It is a step by step process: 1. Grip 2. Draw 3. Gun pointed at target 4. Thumb safety off 5. On trigger when you have an acceptable sight picture 6. Off trigger and safety on when done firing. I would have my students repeat this drill 200 or more times before going to the range. If you change holsters, repeat the drills. I want them to develop the neuromuscular memory so it is consistently the same over time. Having someone else watch you, or videoing your practice helps to check yourself. For my students who are carrying a SAO pistol for the first time, I urge them to work out the pricess on the range before going live in the wild.

Y'all be safe

"Personal preference" should be what guides you. What other people think about a carry pistol with a -3# trigger won't change the fact that it's your pistol and your responsibility. That could be ideal for a range or training pistol, but verify the gauge is accurate would be a good first step.

If training and practice with it that way still makes you uncomfortable to carry, change it to the level you are comfortable with. A negligent discharge could ruin your day.

Last edited:
Never heard anyone complain about a 1911 trigger being too .

Hi,

With enough training and practice, I would not have a problem a light-ish trigger on my EDC. But you must do what is comfortable for you.

Welcome to the forum! :)

BassCliff
Light-ish is 3.5 -4lbs. 2.5 is competition light. I don’t care how disciplined you are, I’m a SHTF situation you’re going to be nervous and jacked up on adrenaline which is a great formula for becoming the victim of an involuntary muscle twitch. My Prodigy is 2.5lbs and I have an AR with a 2lb pull and I have to mind my Ps & Qs with both. It is very easy to let one fly unintentionally if you’re not on the ball.

Light-ish is 3.5 -4lbs. 2.5 is competition light. I don’t care how disciplined you are, I’m a SHTF situation you’re going to be nervous and jacked up on adrenaline which is a great formula for becoming the victim of an involuntary muscle twitch. My Prodigy is 2.5lbs and I have an AR with a 2lb pull and I have to mind my Ps & Qs with both. It is very easy to let one fly unintentionally if you’re not on the ball.
If you're gonna set one off with an involuntary muscle twitch at 2.5 lbs you're gonna set it off at 4. There's not a lot of difference. You don't take it off safe until your pointing it where you want to shoot right ? Not much difference really if you're carrying a VP9 with a 4 lb trigger and no safety.

If you're gonna set one off with an involuntary muscle twitch at 2.5 lbs you're gonna set it off at 4. There's not a lot of difference. You don't take it off safe until your pointing it where you want to shoot right ? Not much difference really if you're carrying a VP9 with a 4 lb trigger and no safety.
Sorry, but I’m going to have to disagree, the difference is quite noticeable.

Hi,

I see your point.

Would a stock trigger spring kit from the factory help the OP?

@JimmyC, have you contacted Springfield Armory?

BassCliff

If you’re handy at all in any sense.
Watch the Atlas video on how to adjust the trigger tension.
I used my old Prodigy as a “how to” adjust sear springs on 1911 style.
Within 20 minutes, taking your time, you can easily increase the trigger pull to 4LB if that’s your goal.
You could replace it with a brand new sear spring and end up with a 5 or 6lb pull… and you’d still have to bend it.

My Prodigy w/ EGW kit was just a tick over 2lbs. It was a range/target pistol.
My Staccato P was north of 4 and I have it just south of 2lb now, again, range/target pistol.
My C2 was 4.5lb out of the box, I adjusted it down to 3.5lb for my EDC.

From my C2 to my P there is a HUGE difference. The pressure I use to set the trigger on my C2 will touch off a round in my P. You can do this yourself easily To get it to desired weight.

"Personal preference" should be what guides you. What other people think about a carry pistol with a -3# trigger won't change the fact that it's your pistol and your responsibility. That could be ideal for a range or training pistol, but verify the gauge is accurate would be a good first step.

If training and practice with it that way still makes you uncomfortable to carry, change it to the level you are comfortable with. A negligent discharge could ruin your day.
Exactly. I would call Springfield CS and discuss it with them.

I have not contacted Springfield Armory.

I did read up on the Lyman trigger gauge and concluded I was pulling the trigger too fast with the gauge. So I slowed the pull way down and the average is almost 3.5#. I haven't tested it's accuracy yet.

I can probably live with 3.5# for EDC (meaning being comfortable with it), coupled with more training on proper draw and presentation of the gun.

Thanks for the replies.

The fact remains if an involuntary, stress induced muscle twitch overrides your training and you discharge a 2.5 lb trigger, you're gonna discharge a 4.
It’s not about overriding your training. I don’t care how good your training is, the first time (hopefully) where someone pulls their gun to defend themselves - which for 99% of us will be never - a significant portion of that training is going to evaporate. In that case I’d rather have a 4 lb trigger than a 2.5. Practice is great, but game time is completely different. Let’s face it, most people’s training is popping holes in paper targets at 7 yds. Most of us are never going to be a hardened pistolero like you.

It’s not about overriding your training. I don’t care how good your training is, the first time (hopefully) where someone pulls their gun to defend themselves - which for 99% of us will be never - a significant portion of that training is going to evaporate. In that case I’d rather have a 4 lb trigger than a 2.5. Practice is great, but game time is completely different. Let’s face it, most people’s training is popping holes in paper targets at 7 yds. Most of us are never going to be a hardened pistolero like you.
Yes I understand that, believe me. You will not rise to the occasion, you will fall to the level of your training. That’s why you do that repeatedly over and over every single day until it’s muscle memory. I’m confident that there will never be a situation where my finger goes on the trigger without that weapon being pointed in a safe direction. And that’s not because I’m a hardened pistolero ( that helps though 😉). In fact it’s something everyone who carries a gun should be able to say. The absolute very least anyone who carries a gun could do is at least make certain you can keep your finger off the trigger until the gun is settled on your target.

Yes I understand that, believe me. You will not rise to the occasion, you will fall to the level of your training. That’s why you do that repeatedly over and over every single day until it’s muscle memory. I’m confident that there will never be a situation where my finger goes on the trigger without that weapon being pointed in a safe direction. And that’s not because I’m a hardened pistolero ( that helps though 😉). In fact it’s something everyone who carries a gun should be able to say. The absolute very least anyone who carries a gun could do is at least make certain you can keep your finger off the trigger until the gun is settled on your target.
All good points I think everyone is making. Throw a DA into the picture after a good shoot and I bet a 2.5# trigger pull weight comes up no matter how much training a person has. Maybe not in all states but many/most I bet, especially the big cities.

Back