testtest

New to Firearms

Thank you for all of the information. I have looked at training but it seems that the majority of classes are during the work week and I don't have the PTO to burn for a class at 1 pm.

As to constant training, I'm not in the financial state to spend hundreds or even thousands of dollars on going to the range and buying ammo once a week.

I'm starting to think that this was a bad idea getting into this right before my 4th son is born.
Check out the MantisX laser training system. You can work on grip, trigger, pushing, draw and all manner of things for a fairly low price and no recurring costs. They also have a large social component with leagues and tournaments.

Hi,

Thank you for all of the information. I have looked at training but it seems that the majority of classes are during the work week and I don't have the PTO to burn for a class at 1 pm.

As to constant training, I'm not in the financial state to spend hundreds or even thousands of dollars on going to the range and buying ammo once a week.

I'm starting to think that this was a bad idea getting into this right before my 4th son is born.

Not at all! It costs nothing to dry fire practice, watch training videos on Youtube, manipulate your pistol (malfunction fixes, speed reloads, etc), and start getting your muscle memory ingrained for proper handling of your firearm. If you actually get to the range only once a month, or once every other month, for live fire practice then all the dry fire practice will be quite beneficial. When my family first started in this sport we could go only about every other month.

@KillerFord1977 and @OkiePewPew mentioned the MantisX training aid. It's very helpful and gives you a lot of feedback, information about your trigger pull, muzzle direction, etc. It's a device you attach to your rail that tracks your accuracy with a phone app. It's not exactly cheap but might fit into your budget. More info here: https://mantisx.com/

An even better bang-for-your-buck can be had using a G-Sight laser cartridge. It's like a little laser pointer that fits into the barrel where a bullet would go. Give the slide a little rack, pull the trigger, and the phone app will tell you where your hits land. You can use just about any printed target. There are lots of free targets you can download and print at home. You can even draw dots and circles on a paper plate if you want to. I just picked up the newest XG unit for not much more than the price of a box of ammo, $35, on Amazon. This is less than half the price of their older units.

This kit comes with extra striker pads, batteries, and o-rings, probably enough to train for years. The basic app is free to download and you can pay $5 to add upgraded training modules for the app. The app doesn't give you the feedback that the MantisX units does but if you want to check your muzzle movement during your trigger pull, just balance a nickel on your slide, right behind the front sight, and make sure it doesn't fall off when you pull. ;)

FYI: This is G-Sight's regular website: https://g-sight.com/

Disclaimer: I am not affiliated with G-Sight or MantisX. I'm just a fanboy of the G-Sight for its cheap training capabilities. I have a thread here where I sometimes share my basement laser range practices.

It's actually something the whole family can enjoy, like game night. :D

Are you able to buy ammo online and have it delivered to your door? With some smart shopping, waiting for sales and free shipping, you can get the cost down to about $15 for a box of 50 (plus tax).

Yes, sometimes the shooting sports are not cheap. How much is protecting yourself and your family worth? ;)

OK, I'll stop rambling now. If you'd like to wander through my noob adventures - CCW, EDC, hunting for ammo, range reports - I have a couple of other threads on another forum where I let my nooby-ness hang out all over for the world to see. I'll share the links if you want them.

Hey! All the best to you and yours Mr. @Deathseed. This community has been very welcoming, encouraging, and helpful to this old noob. Please stick around and let them assist you in your journey.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Last edited:
Hi Mr.@Deathseed,

I also wanted to congratulate you on the incumbent arrival of your fourth son. Wow! We've got three daughters, all married and out of the house now, and we had though about having another, to try for a son. But we waited a little too long. Drat. May God bless you and the Mrs. while you are raising four boys. I came from a large family and I love to see large families. It warms my heart.

And don't you worry, we'll get you ready to protect that wonderful family of yours. ;)

BassCliff

Hi,

Does anyone have any recommendations on dry fire systems?

There seem to be a lot of options but I don't want to drop money on something that doesn't work.

Read posts #41 and #42 again.

The G-Sight 9mm Quantum XG laser cartridge is now only $30 on Amazon. The basic phone app is free. I've been using this system for a couple years now.

BassCliff

So:

Welcome to the forum.

Lots of good advice here, but if I may add something—particularly since you mentioned you are on a budget?

A .22 pistol pays for itself VERY quickly.

You can go and shoot a brick—500 rounds—for what you’d pay for under 200 rounds of 9mm. You can really lean into the fundamentals, and once you have them down…EVERY pistol you shoot you will shoot better.

Get training, too…but a .22 will give you a lot more practice time to use what you’ve learned.
👆👆👆👆👆👆

Solid advice!!!

Hello Everyone,

I am a new gun owners and I am trying to find out what would be important to know. I currently have a XD 9mm for home defense and a Hellcat Pro for EDC.
I haven't had much training yet other than a NRA Basic Pistol class and not sure where to go from here. I live in the state of VA.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
practice practice practice done start all over youre life depends on it

Hi,

Does anyone have any recommendations on dry fire systems?

There seem to be a lot of options but I don't want to drop money on something that doesn't work.

Check out some of this guy's dry fire drills. We could all learn a lot from Jerry Miculek.

And a few others...

Oops, sorry. This first one is James. :LOL:

BassCliff

Last edited:
Check out the MantisX laser training system. You can work on grip, trigger, pushing, draw and all manner of things for a fairly low price and no recurring costs. They also have a large social component with leagues and tournaments.
Hmmmmm…. second time @OkiePewPew has mentioned the MantisX system……wonder if he owns stock in it…….🤔🤔🤔🤔

Back