testtest

New Yorkers Must Pass A Mental Health Exam Before Purchasing A Gun!

hmmmm, passing a test to exercise a constitutional right? what if we had to pass a mental exam to exercise another constitutional right, like, voting? certain groups of people would be up in arms about "infringing on my constitutional rights". to which i would say, "hey! how's it feel?"
Very good point! Problem is crazy people only see it their way, but I think there's a method to their madness. By passing laws that they know are unconstitutional they are baiting the SCOUS to rule against them. They hope this will drum up more support for packing the court and/or rewriting the Constitution.

We have used psychological evaluations for law enforcement candidates for many years. In order to be definitive, there is a battery of tests followed by a clinical interview by a psychologist. The pencil and paper test doesn't mean anything without interpretation. I think we are talking around $300-$400 if it is done right. This is cost prohibitive and impractical.

We have used psychological evaluations for law enforcement candidates for many years. In order to be definitive, there is a battery of tests followed by a clinical interview by a psychologist. The pencil and paper test doesn't mean anything without interpretation. I think we are talking around $300-$400 if it is done right. This is cost prohibitive and impractical.
"... if it is done right." key phrase there. i don't have much confidence in my state to do much of anything right. hell, i wouldn't even let them walk my dog if there was a state run dog walking service.

I read an article a while ago from the NY Post that gun control in the city originated from some politician who wanted to benefit the criminal gangs that did business with him.

There also was a recent story of a firefighter from NYC getting rekt by New York's finest (back the blue cope) for buying a polymer 80 percent lower in PA.

Overall, it reminds me of another piece where gun rights overall are better now than 10 or 20 years ago. However as majority of the country embraces it, a minority of states will crack down harder and we already seeing the destructive results when combined with all those Soros DAs.

Are we really surprised by this? This is Hochul posturing to the dem voter base to try and win re-election come election time. I'm born and raised in NYC. Moved to Texas just over a year and a half ago. Owning a firearm could barely even be considered a pipedream in the city and only slightly easier in upstate NY, and that was predicated on the guise of hunting. Best thing I ever did was leave that complete dump of a state. I went back in January to visit family and as soon as I landed I asked myself why I came back in the first place.

Some previous poster mentioned how upstate is majority conservative and that's 100% true. But you are kind of a fool to live upstate as your vote means absolutely nothing and your tax dollars subsidize and support the infrastructure and projects in the boroughs and the rest of the state gets basically nil in comparison.

Are we really surprised by this? This is Hochul posturing to the dem voter base to try and win re-election come election time. I'm born and raised in NYC. Moved to Texas just over a year and a half ago. Owning a firearm could barely even be considered a pipedream in the city and only slightly easier in upstate NY, and that was predicated on the guise of hunting. Best thing I ever did was leave that complete dump of a state. I went back in January to visit family and as soon as I landed I asked myself why I came back in the first place.

Some previous poster mentioned how upstate is majority conservative and that's 100% true. But you are kind of a fool to live upstate as your vote means absolutely nothing and your tax dollars subsidize and support the infrastructure and projects in the boroughs and the rest of the state gets basically nil in comparison.
Hey that sounds like Illinois. Only with us it is a corner in the North East part of the state that rules us.

So here's a question I have. If you wanted to buy the Hellion from Springfield and you live in NY. Would its bullpup design make it friendly since the "Pistol grip" is forward and not directly under the action?

In the law it says:

22. “Assault weapon” means

(a) a semiautomatic rifle that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least one of the following characteristics:
(i) a folding or telescoping stock;
(ii) a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon;
(iii) a thumbhole stock;
(iv) a second handgrip or a protruding grip that can be held by the non-trigger hand;
(v) a bayonet mount;
(vi) a flash suppressor, muzzle break, muzzle compensator, or threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash suppressor, muzzle break, or muzzle compensator;
(vii) a grenade launcher;  or

The cronies of the powers there will have no trouble getting their tests pencil-whipped. Any such test would have to be objective and that can't be done because psychology is a pseudo science at best. There will be politically biased go-no go lists distributed. It's blatantly unconstitutional. If a person has a clean criminal record and can function in the society at large they have as much right to self defense as a rich, connected lawyer in his penthouse. If they use the gun to break the law it can be easily revoked. Penalties for gun crime are severe and rightly so. When they break the law, they failed the real test.

Most of the state is actually beautiful. Woods and mountains and all sorts of creeks/rivers/lakes. It's just the lower new york city area that really sucks. I was born and raised in the boroughs (Brooklyn).

The lower city area and the rest of the state might as well be two different states. They are polar opposites.

I guess I missed this thread last year.

After a school or church shooting, folks say the real reason is a lack of facilities and treatment for the mentally ill. I can see how the general public would want someone to prove they are mentally competent in order to buy a gun. The primary problem I see is how is this to be accomplished. I think including more research in the background check might be helpful. Interviewing people who know the purchaser well, along with checking citizenship and arrest records maybe? As far as I know, this isn’t done now. I think some kind of test is too subjective, both regarding the test itself and the person “grading” the test.

More could be done, but I think NY is on a slippery slope with this requirement.

The amount of citizens needing mental health assistance/therapy/consultation has not gone down over the decades.
The amount of Dr’s and facilities to offer assistance to those in need has.
Dramatically.

Back