testtest

Night vision.

Bassbob

Emissary
I’m looking for either binoculars or Monocular. Probably a monocular would be better. I have no experience with it but a Google search yielded a very wide spectrum of prices. I’m not looking for military grade but I’d like to see at least 200 yards pretty clearly. I know you get what you pay for and I don’t want to jump on some $200 monocular if it’s going to be a pile of crap.
Do any of you guys have experience car with it?

Thermal.
Night vision is limited on distance.

night vision is great for helicopter pilots and Army Rangers, but we usually dont make dynamic entry into a building on a hunting trip

i have found thermal is excellent for hunting applications as you see what you are wanting to shoot at distance, not clearing rooms up close.

my hunting buddy runs night vision scope and I run thermal. I see animals 10x before he does.

pic... hogs at 250 yards

D366B662-5FE7-40F7-8397-0BC42EC3BC3D.jpeg

By the way, I wasn't really intending to use it to hunt so to speak. Although since you bring it up it would be nice if it was attached to my AR. Do they make a device like a magnifier that would work with my red dot?

By the way, I wasn't really intending to use it to hunt so to speak. Although since you bring it up it would be nice if it was attached to my AR. Do they make a device like a magnifier that would work with my red dot?

You need to have a dot that has NVG capability...Aimpoint T2, some CompM4 models, some Eotech models...etc.

And I don’t think they work with thermal, just light intensifying gear.

The big question is if you want active or passive, if you go for intensifying...active needs an IR light source (like a flashlight with an IR lens, etc) to work, and is visible to anyone else using NVG gear. Passive doesn’t, but is usually a lot more expensive for anything worth a damn.

You need to have a dot that has NVG capability...Aimpoint T2, some CompM4 models, some Eotech models...etc.

And I don’t think they work with thermal, just light intensifying gear.

The big question is if you want active or passive, if you go for intensifying...active needs an IR light source (like a flashlight with an IR lens, etc) to work, and is visible to anyone else using NVG gear. Passive doesn’t, but is usually a lot more expensive for anything worth a damn.

I had a feeling that anything worth a damn was going to be cost prohibitive. Like Ford says, I'm not clearing houses in the middle of the night. Really I just want to see warm bodies moving on my property in the dark. I'm guessing the $189 monocular isn't really going to give me what I'm after.

I had a feeling that anything worth a damn was going to be cost prohibitive. Like Ford says, I'm not clearing houses in the middle of the night. Really I just want to see warm bodies moving on my property in the dark. I'm guessing the $189 monocular isn't really going to give me what I'm after.
It probably would, actually...get a good light with an IR lens, it should throw 100-200 yards and illuminate just like a flashlight.

Any thermal or night vision scope comes with a built in crosshair reticle. No need for a red dot.
A good NV scope is around $1200-1500. The $700 ones only see out to 50 yards on avg. hunt with 3 guys that have those $700 style NV scopes and they get so frustrated as they are limited in distance.

A thermal will run $1800+ but the application and distance is so much greater.
Pulsar makes an excellent thermal and now a NV scope that pushes some good technology for a scope that is a good quality for range but not the $2000 for thermal

Thermal will also see thru rain with minimal issues. NV scopes do not.

This is some pics of my thermal. You can see built in crosshair that is adjustable to color and style. The pic with the man standing is my buddy using my thermal and my second thermal is in my hand as a “scout” optic not on a gun.

6C7B9A51-FE2E-4D91-9FDA-6963B210A360.jpeg
22F2577C-77EF-45D7-A9FB-54B7F0A79446.jpeg

A nv monocular would need a red dot compatible with nvg. Nv scopes have built in red dots or crosshairs depending on the model of scope.

Any thermal or night vision scope comes with a built in crosshair reticle. No need for a red dot.
A good NV scope is around $1200-1500. The $700 ones only see out to 50 yards on avg. hunt with 3 guys that have those $700 style NV scopes and they get so frustrated as they are limited in distance.

A thermal will run $1800+ but the application and distance is so much greater.
Pulsar makes an excellent thermal and now a NV scope that pushes some good technology for a scope that is a good quality for range but not the $2000 for thermal

Thermal will also see thru rain with minimal issues. NV scopes do not.

This is some pics of my thermal. You can see built in crosshair that is adjustable to color and style. The pic with the man standing is my buddy using my thermal and my second thermal is in my hand as a “scout” optic not on a gun.

View attachment 10065View attachment 10066

I don't have a legitimate enough use for it to justify that kind of cash. :)

Just bought a Sionyx with a mount to add to an AR, should be here in a couple days. A couple weeks back I got a flir thermal and it was not really what I was expecting. Dont get me wrong the thermal is awesome but not usable as walk or drive in the dark optic. Now sitting at the edge of a field and waiting for a hog or yote to enter my Zone it is fabulous. So in the end I am going to have two guns set up, a thermal and a night vision gun both dedicated.

Just bought a Sionyx with a mount to add to an AR, should be here in a couple days. A couple weeks back I got a flir thermal and it was not really what I was expecting. Dont get me wrong the thermal is awesome but not usable as walk or drive in the dark optic. Now sitting at the edge of a field and waiting for a hog or yote to enter my Zone it is fabulous. So in the end I am going to have two guns set up, a thermal and a night vision gun both dedicated.
Wear NV on a helmet to walk around to see the fences, obstacles, etc..
Thermal to lay down the law on the hogs.

I walked into an electric fence 3 yrs ago using thermal.. insulated wire …saw it later in my replay video. Didnt see it walking and focusing on a hog . Black line in pic is the wire
AE3BBCDC-3DD6-4275-87DD-6EFF59D1FD7B.jpeg

Back