testtest

Not My 1st Choice of Gun for Riot Defense.....But

wmg1299

Professional
Without taking either side of the political issue, I found this story interesting. When faced with the threat of mob violence, the North American Arms mini-revolver would not be my go-to weapon. However, it appears to have worked.

I own a couple of NAA mini-revolvers. One was a Father's Day gift and one was purchased as a novelty. I never seriously considered carrying either of them for defensive purposes, but I may have to reconsider. Do any of you carry these guns, and would you be willing to display them in an attempt to deter a threat?

So my first take on this is this. Now I will have to go back to review this in more details but here we go.

The Event:
The gentleman holding the mini revolver seemed to maintain his calm the entire time. All while maintaining his stance of back off we are not playing. While it did seem like his life was in danger being a elderly white male in a BLM protest.

The Weapon:
While definitely not my first choice of defense weapon the firearm did its job. It served as a deterrent, Nothing really more. Now I don’t know the details or specifics of this firearm or the rounds it shoots but I don’t think it would do anything other then wound and **** off a bunch of people and ultimately get this guy killed. However in the video it did it’s job it acted as a deterrent. My personal feelings are that this gentleman’s behavior and calm demeanor largely affected the outcome of this situation.

The patron should really re-consider his choice of carry. It would not stop a real threat, it didn't look like it had too big capacity either, while the mobsters had "real" guns (from what I saw).
That ended up well, but mainly because crowd was small and there were people saying "move away". When crowd is larger, the mob reactions, under the feeling of anonymity, can be very different.

He was calm and stood his ground. Looks like that was codified in KY law (2013), but in some states you are still required to retreat before using deadly force.

Anyone who thinks it would just wound, or “not stop a real threat”...

Are you volunteering to to take one between the running lights to prove that hypothesis? No? Center chest, then? Why not?

This is just backing up what I’ve said elsewhere—having a firearm and the obvious will (and ability) to use it makes a lot more difference than caliber ever will in a defensive situation.

i have to go along with, "anything that can shoot, will work" theory.

i cannot think of too many stupid people that would challenge someone holding a gun at any time.

now, on the other hand, someone "jacked up" on meth or anything else powerful, will charge at you, even if you fire off several .45's at him...

Every time I read that story, this comes to mind:

1620219190341.gif

Anyone who thinks it would just wound, or “not stop a real threat”...

Are you volunteering to to take one between the running lights to prove that hypothesis? No? Center chest, then? Why not?

This is just backing up what I’ve said elsewhere—having a firearm and the obvious will (and ability) to use it makes a lot more difference than caliber ever will in a defensive situation.
Yeah that’s true. So is your carry gun a .22 Derringer then?

Does anyone think the old man in that video trains religiously like most of us do so that he has a reasonable guarantee he’s going to put it right between the guys eyes? I saw a kid get his lung punctured by a .177 pellet rifle. Maybe saw the barrel down and start carrying that.

Why not give yourself every advantage you can? Is this not why we drill and train ?

Without taking either side of the political issue, I found this story interesting. When faced with the threat of mob violence, the North American Arms mini-revolver would not be my go-to weapon. However, it appears to have worked.

I own a couple of NAA mini-revolvers. One was a Father's Day gift and one was purchased as a novelty. I never seriously considered carrying either of them for defensive purposes, but I may have to reconsider. Do any of you carry these guns, and would you be willing to display them in an attempt to deter a threat?

This type of action is not covered under the Oklahoma Self Defense Act for concealed carry [could be considered brandishing, menacing, or assault]. However, the OK2A association is working with state legislators to expand language in the act to include other less than lethal actions available to permit holders.

My first instinct in this scenario would be to gather up my family members and retreat to a safe area, if possible.

This type of action is not covered under the Oklahoma Self Defense Act for concealed carry [could be considered brandishing, menacing, or assault]. However, the OK2A association is working with state legislators to expand language in the act to include other less than lethal actions available to permit holders.

My first instinct in this scenario would be to gather up my family members and retreat to a safe area, if possible.
Stand your ground!!!! It should be a law Federal law and in all states. A man has the right to face his assailant and not get shot in the back.

My question is who were the white guys carrying rifles? Were they protesters? Or was that after the police showed up?

Yeah that’s true. So is your carry gun a .22 Derringer then?

Does anyone think the old man in that video trains religiously like most of us do so that he has a reasonable guarantee he’s going to put it right between the guys eyes? I saw a kid get his lung punctured by a .177 pellet rifle. Maybe saw the barrel down and start carrying that.

Why not give yourself every advantage you can? Is this not why we drill and train ?
So why not go to the other extreme, to get “every advantage”? Start carrying AR pistols and drum mags? That argument is just as silly as your pellet gun example.

I have no idea of the old man’s skill level—nor do you. But he definitely convinced the crowd that he had the ability to do it, didn’t he...and that’s all that matters.

I’ve posted this link before, I’ll post it again...caliber matters a LOT less than people think when it comes to defensive shootings; yet, as gun guys (stress on the “guys” part) we have a predisposition to assume that bigger is automatically going to be a major advantage. Turns out it just ain’t so.

While I wouldn’t use a NAA 22LR as a conceal carry, I certainly wouldn’t underestimate the damage a 22LR or 22 WMRF can do.

When Ronald Reagan was shot in 1981 he was close to death by the time his limo arrived at the hospital. He was hit with a 22LR that ricocheted off his limo and struck him in the left underarm which broke a rib, punctured a lung, and caused serious internal bleeding.

Nope, I wouldn’t want to be shot with a 22.

Regardless of whether his pistol round would be an effective manstopper, I have to wonder what he's going to do after firing all 5 rounds into an angry mob. A quick reload is probably out of the question, and at that man's age out running a mob of BLM protesters is probably out of the question as well. Just saying.

Thanks for posting wmg1299,
Saw article a few places elsewhere and with other news observations that were stated too. Quite a few on both sides of "fence" were armed besides the obvious gentleman with derringer were mentioned. By what seen, almost seemed melodramatic and staged? Just observations and thoughts.

See little wrong with protesters carrying firearms safely and possibly defending themselves too, if abiding with the 2nd amendment, it's their right as well as the right of diners attempting to enjoy themselves. They, the possibly startled ones recording, were perhaps just glory seekers (?) third parties (?) are not only recording, but also seem to be attempting to gain notarity for what should almost be seen as a non issue or a smaller one?

On protesters part, what else were they seeking? Possibly only protection or attention seeking for what/which cause by openly displaying firearms? Were they just protesting the Derby or something else too? - Their own or someone else's agenda/cause as well? The coin's flipped? There's generally two sides to most coins, not just the ones obviously seen promoting whatever. However, there are also meanings behind those two sides and sometimes more than two? Like the thoughts of who's backing the protesters for what cause, possibly for their own entertainment? There can be a fine line between basically protesting and gang violence w/o good control of the first? Cross those sometimes fine lines/barriers and what's the difference? Paid robots, extensions of something else?

Regardless of whether his pistol round would be an effective manstopper, I have to wonder what he's going to do after firing all 5 rounds into an angry mob. A quick reload is probably out of the question, and at that man's age out running a mob of BLM protesters is probably out of the question as well. Just saying.
Do you honestly think that they were going to stick around after the first shot?

It’s gonna be a stampede away from the shooting, immediately...watch any crowd, anywhere in the world, when live rounds are incoming...it’s universal; everyone wants to be anywhere else than there.

This would not be ANY different.

Do you honestly think that they were going to stick around after the first shot?

It’s gonna be a stampede away from the shooting, immediately...watch any crowd, anywhere in the world, when live rounds are incoming...it’s universal; everyone wants to be anywhere else than there.

This would not be ANY different.
Not always the case and you can't count on what makes logical sense to most of us.

Take the Kenosha kid for example, he defended himself with a few shots into an attacker and then was chased by a mob to where a few more got shot. And when looking at that video you will see many sheeple still standing around recording and spectating.

I've been around and seen a lot of violence growing up and having been shot at before while being unarmed it made sense for me to get moving fast that instant but I've also seen people who had guns pulled on them and still went after the gun wielder even when they were at an unreasonable distance to be totally effective.

If you or anyone else would like other examples of people not being afraid to get shot or attacking an armed individual with empty hands, blunt instruments, or knifes checkout Active Self Protection on YouTube for a few years worth of video evidence.

All the training in the world with no real action gives you zero real world experience where things can go upside down quickly.

If you haven't actually experienced the discussed situation yourself then you shouldn't be so decided on how something will end.

Back