testtest

Not My 1st Choice of Gun for Riot Defense.....But

Regardless of whether his pistol round would be an effective manstopper, I have to wonder what he's going to do after firing all 5 rounds into an angry mob. A quick reload is probably out of the question, and at that man's age out running a mob of BLM protesters is probably out of the question as well. Just saying.
Agreed!

That's a tiny single action pistol good luck for a quick enough follow up shot at all.

Stand your ground!!!! It should be a law Federal law and in all states. A man has the right to face his assailant and not get shot in the back.

My question is who were the white guys carrying rifles? Were they protesters? Or was that after the police showed up?
None of them are protesters they are there as a political intimidation force. A large percentage of the BLM's so called mostly peaceful protests have been organized and staffed by white leftist anarchist.

Back to the carry weapon choice:

I occasionally carry smaller caliber firearms when I need to make a compromise to fit a personal need but I make no mistake on the capabilities of the smaller caliber firearms and I weigh the option to what the threat potential could possibly be where I'm going.

The defender definitely had a confident demeanor about him which reinforced his position to those that would try and fail to intimidate him.

Hats off to this man!

Last edited:
Do you honestly think that they were going to stick around after the first shot?

It’s gonna be a stampede away from the shooting, immediately...watch any crowd, anywhere in the world, when live rounds are incoming...it’s universal; everyone wants to be anywhere else than there.

This would not be ANY different.
I agree with you. Hopefully they will scatter with the first shot and that would be the end of it. But going back to my Scouting days I still take to heart the motto: be prepared and not departed. Myself, I would go to an area where there might be civil unrest. But, if I did, a small auto with 10 rounds and an extra mag just might give me the edge needed to survive should things really go sideways. :)

Do you honestly think that they were going to stick around after the first shot?

It’s gonna be a stampede away from the shooting, immediately...watch any crowd, anywhere in the world, when live rounds are incoming...it’s universal; everyone wants to be anywhere else than there.

This would not be ANY different.
You’re basing a lot of arguments on some probabilities. People will “ Probably” disperse after the first shot. A .22 in center mass from 8 feet will “ probably” stop an attacker. In fact the odds of you, me or anyone here ever having to draw a firearm in self defense are pretty slim. It will “ probably” never happen. So why carry at all?

In a comparison between a .22 and a 9mm bigger is definitely better.

I’m willing to bet the reason you didn’t answer my question about whether you carry a .22 or not is because you carry a 9mm or a .45. Why?

Marvin‘s choice………just sayin…..
A1796029-6ECB-417C-BB4E-051DF3E494A3.gif

So why not go to the other extreme, to get “every advantage”? Start carrying AR pistols and drum mags? That argument is just as silly as your pellet gun example.

I have no idea of the old man’s skill level—nor do you. But he definitely convinced the crowd that he had the ability to do it, didn’t he...and that’s all that matters.

I’ve posted this link before, I’ll post it again...caliber matters a LOT less than people think when it comes to defensive shootings; yet, as gun guys (stress on the “guys” part) we have a predisposition to assume that bigger is automatically going to be a major advantage. Turns out it just ain’t so.

I am one of the few who would be willing to carry a firearm chambered in a smaller round, if I found one that met my needs. The biggest factor that has kept me from routinely carrying a .22 Magnum or .22 LR is lack of ammo capacity in concealable rimfire semi-autos. If I were to regularly carry a revolver, I'd be perfectly comfortable with my S&W 351C or 351PD. I think .22 Magnum is sufficient for self-defense, and appreciate the 7-shot capacity compared to the usual 5-shot capacity of other J-Frames.

What I don't understand is why companies limit the capacity in small rimfire semi-auto's to 10 rounds. I usually pocket-carry a 6+1 Ruger LCP II in .380 ACP as a backup, or as my only gun when exercising outdoors. The .22LR version of the LCP II uses a single-stack 10-round magazine. If Ruger made the .22LR magazine a double-stack holding 12-16 rounds (there's plenty of room in the grip), I'd probably consider carrying one. I'd certainly consider one if they could somehow get it to hold 10 rounds of .22 Magnum.

At least Ruger got the capacity of the LCP II LR up to 10. Other manufacturers often limit their rimfire pocket models to 7 or 8 rounds, which makes the capacity nearly identical to the same model in .380 ACP. I can't justify dropping down in caliber without increasing capacity. While I'm willing to drop from .45 ACP or .40 S&W to 9mm for a gain of 2-5 rounds, dropping all the way down to .22LR would require a more significant bump in capacity.

I am one of the few who would be willing to carry a firearm chambered in a smaller round, if I found one that met my needs. The biggest factor that has kept me from routinely carrying a .22 Magnum or .22 LR is lack of ammo capacity in concealable rimfire semi-autos. If I were to regularly carry a revolver, I'd be perfectly comfortable with my S&W 351C or 351PD. I think .22 Magnum is sufficient for self-defense, and appreciate the 7-shot capacity compared to the usual 5-shot capacity of other J-Frames.

What I don't understand is why companies limit the capacity in small rimfire semi-auto's to 10 rounds. I usually pocket-carry a 6+1 Ruger LCP II in .380 ACP as a backup, or as my only gun when exercising outdoors. The .22LR version of the LCP II uses a single-stack 10-round magazine. If Ruger made the .22LR magazine a double-stack holding 12-16 rounds (there's plenty of room in the grip), I'd probably consider carrying one. I'd certainly consider one if they could somehow get it to hold 10 rounds of .22 Magnum.

At least Ruger got the capacity of the LCP II LR up to 10. Other manufacturers often limit their rimfire pocket models to 7 or 8 rounds, which makes the capacity nearly identical to the same model in .380 ACP. I can't justify dropping down in caliber without increasing capacity. While I'm willing to drop from .45 ACP or .40 S&W to 9mm for a gain of 2-5 rounds, dropping all the way down to .22LR would require a more significant bump in capacity.

I am one of the few that would carry an AR pistol under my trench coat. :ROFLMAO:

I personally wouldn't be opposed to carrying a .22 mag if that was a gun I trained with and if I had a legitimate reason, like lack of ability to conceal anything else, but I just don't. I can easily carry a .45 Shield or my .40 Shield under a t-shirt. And I train relentlessly with those guns.

If you haven't actually experienced the discussed situation yourself then you shouldn't be so decided on how something will end.
That's my opinion too. People react in the craziest ways under adrenaline rush. I know I did... all my training didn't prepare me for that.
I can easily carry a .45 Shield or my .40 Shield under a t-shirt. And I train relentlessly with those guns.
Dang! I am happy with the Hellcat with 13 rounds mag, but I do carry also the Sig 365XL with 15 mag. That's my limit, afraid to print.

Kel-Tec had the PMR-30 which is pretty thin and reasonably concealable plus it holds 30 rounds of .22WMR.

Here you be? Looks like for sale?

I've never handled one. I have a buddy who bought one, but he hasn't shot it, or at least hasn't told me about shooting it yet. I am also a Kel-Tec fan. At least of their shotguns although I have to admit they can be finnicky. Nothing taking them apart and doing a few mods won't cure. Mine is over 1500 rounds now with no failures. That said, a guy I know who has a stellar reputation as a smith and builds very nice ARs has described the PMR-30 as a "Dumpster fire". Again, I never shot one so I really don't have anything resembling a relevant opinion on them.

That's my opinion too. People react in the craziest ways under adrenaline rush. I know I did... all my training didn't prepare me for that.

Dang! I am happy with the Hellcat with 13 rounds mag, but I do carry also the Sig 365XL with 15 mag. That's my limit, afraid to print.

I don't think a .40 Shield will print anymore than that Hellcat. Although I would question the wisdom of giving up a 13 rd. 9mm for an 8 rd. .40.

I've never handled one. I have a buddy who bought one, but he hasn't shot it, or at least hasn't told me about shooting it yet. I am also a Kel-Tec fan. At least of their shotguns although I have to admit they can be finnicky. Nothing taking them apart and doing a few mods won't cure. Mine is over 1500 rounds now with no failures. That said, a guy I know who has a stellar reputation as a smith and builds very nice ARs has described the PMR-30 as a "Dumpster fire". Again, I never shot one so I really don't have anything resembling a relevant opinion on them.
I've heard mixed reviews on the PMR 30. I'll probably pick one up at some point when firearm prices stabilize.

I've heard mixed reviews on the PMR 30. I'll probably pick one up at some point when firearm prices stabilize.

Knowing Kel-Tec they probably run fine once you go in and polish everything and work the bugs out. A lot of people have trouble with KSGs. I think the early generations had some bugs. A lot of people do what they call a "Fluff and Buff". There are detailed instructions how to do this available on the KSG forum. I never had to do any of that. At some point around 1000 rounds I started noticing while I was cycling it ( Not shooting, just running the shells through it) I was having some FTF. First I considered the fluff and buff thing, but it occurred to me that was probably not an issue that would magically appear after 1000 rounds. Turns out I was right and the issue was the design of the selector switch. The screw that holds it in place can't be torqued, because the switch needs to move. So rather than using a shoulder screw they just used a flat screw which you cannot fully tighten and mine had loosened up. So I took it apart, cleaned it thoroughly, then put some blue loctite on the threads and tightened it fully then backed it off until the switch operated freely. No more problems.

I think most people's problem though was that they simply didn't/don't know how to run the thing. A very popular saying is " Rack it like you hate it". Which is one of the stupidest things I've ever heard. If I had to slam a shotgun to get it to feed I wouldn't have it for long. Mine feeds and ejects perfectly regardless of the speed or force with which I charge it. The trick is that you have to actually pump it the entire length of it's travel, BOTH directions. All the action happens in the last 1/2" of travel on either end. So people short stroke it.

See, bugs. I'm under no illusion that my KSG is some top shelf shotgun, but mine runs like a clock. The trick is to be smarter than the shotgun. The Israeli shotgun is definitely a much more well thought out design. 16 rds. in 8 seconds and you don't need to do anything but clean it. And some dude I saw ran his over 600 rounds without doing that before it got stupid. Then he just cleaned the gas piston and started shooting the crap out of it again. Anyway....

I have a NAA 22mag that I carry as a backup to my EDC 9mm. If I need to use deadly force in order to preserve life and I am otherwise unable to utilize my primary weapon, I will use the mini. A 22 mag fired from a mini-revolver at close range is nothing to sneeze at.

Bro-n-law has had a PMR30 for a couple years now and loves it. Back when .22 cal stuff was readily available it wasn't unusual for him and his wife to blow up 400-500 rnds in an afternoon, and they did that many afternoons. Far as I know, and he and I talk guns fairly often it's never missed a beat. Like me, he is a fan of most Keltec stuff. He also has a KS7 that he swears by. (y)(y)(y)

BTW.... as I type this I'm in the market and looking for a P17. That's the new little Keltec .22LR semi-auto.

Back