testtest

NRA-ILA Leadership Changes & Republicans Are In Trouble

I’ve heard nothing but negative about WLP in recent years. I’ve heard nothing but the board supporting WLP and pushing out anyone who opposes him. I’ve seen good Presidents of the NRA come and go, I’m sure because they felt their hands were tied and couldn’t make any significant changes. The results are lawsuits, corruption and a horrible reputation among the 2A community. The left already hated the NRA, now the 2A community is starting to not trust them as well. I think the NRA is still the largest and most powerful lobbying group for 2A rights, but they are starting to lose their hold due to the current leadership. I would love to support them and join again after letting my membership lapse, but I feel like I’d just be paying for their court battles and making up for their losses due to leadership indulgences. The NRA is shooting itself in the foot by refusing to make any attempt to remake itself and gain its reputation back. It sounds to me like plenty of people have made their points with them, but they continue to ignore it. As most of you here, I’ll wait to join again when significant changes are made. Or they at least attempt to explain what their deal is with keeping WLP and his cronies on board. I don’t even feel like they are making an effort to address ANY of the concerns of their members or past/potential members. We will all lose in the long run because of that…

NRA has been run into the ground. Just like America. The death of the NRA is the dem's wet dream,
For any major Federal law to negatively impact gun owners it will take votes from both parties. I do believe the NRA does grease both sides of the wheel (one positive). However they are still a money suck for the average gun owner IMO. I would say it is "Assault Weapons" not so much the demise of the NRA.

In my humble opinion, every organization is going to have issues. The bigger the organization the bigger the issues.

I may not agree with everything the NRA does but for me the cost is reasonable to maintain membership and I do believe the NRA has its good points. I don't know if I'll ever become a lifetime NRA member. I usually buy 5 years at a time and right now that's good enough.

I agree that it's not a bad idea to support some state firearm organizations. I am blessed to live in the great state of Texas and in the future I will look into some to support. As a retired guy on a fixed income I can't financially support every organization that I like, so I pick and choose.

I will sometimes sign up with an organization or magazine if the price is right. But then cancel the membership if I don't agree with the majority of their articles. I recently cancelled my Texas Monthly magazine subscription because it just felt too Austin area Liberal and not West Texas Conservative.

According to some of the articles I've read, the Rio Grande Valley where I grew up and recently moved back to is mostly Democratic. I have relatives who are business people and they're Conservative. In the couple of years I've been back home I've seen more Hispanic people switch to being Conservative. Some of it has to do with the aging of the population down here.

I vote in every local election and Republican all the way and I usually wear my USMC hat to elections...you want my vote you got to show me you're for America because I'm a veteran and I vote...:) I sometimes wear my NRA hat to a local Whataburger just because it's fun...:)

I think that similar to our federal government, the NRA needs a leadership change. If you pay attention, you can see a glimmer of hope in the younger folks (45 +/-) getting involved in things, including government and the NRA. More women are also getting involved. Our new governor is a mid-40’s woman. The NRA Board is full of a lot of geezers (like me!) who need to step back and give the younger folks a chance to prove themselves. The geezers usually don’t like much change!

We members need to continue to support OUR organization. The dues are insignificant in the grand scheme of things. Just like a lot of us, WLP, Cotton and others will not be around a whole lot longer. We (and the young folks) need the NRA to continue!

I renewed my membership a few months ago. They offer a Life of Duty membership to all active and retired Police Officers with the "free gift". Mine was a universal range bag which is what "they" called it. The bag is an utter piece of total garbage I put 1 box of 9mm shells in it and it literally fell through the bottom. I recall when as a token of being a member they actually gave the member something nice and well made like the black and gold baseball cap or tee-shirt. Apparently they do not care anymore and would rather have the big wigs PAD their wallets. Just my two cents.

GOA, Gun Owners of America, surpassed the NRA years ago in keeping our 2A rights.
They continue to fight about every day in Washington and state houses.
They are worthy of your support, along with your state-gunowners.com
I've had many bad things to say about the nra for several years.
Surpassed how ? Certainly not in membership or political clout.

I was going to donate to GOA, but getting daily emails from them, some straight up ridiculous, has kept me from doing so.

GOA has been working in the court rooms and Washington DC.
GOA has stood alone with the Bumpstock ban, they're still working on it. They've done work in several states to fight against bloomberg's Anytown laws and promoting Sanctuary Cities.
The only thing I've ever heard from nra is give me some money.

GOA has been working in the court rooms and Washington DC.
GOA has stood alone with the Bumpstock ban, they're still working on it. They've done work in several states to fight against bloomberg's Anytown laws and promoting Sanctuary Cities.
The only thing I've ever heard from nra is give me some money.
The NRA has filed and won more lawsuits against Bloomberg and other antis than every other gun rights org. combined.

I personally don’t agree that the number of lawsuits filed is a good measure of a 2A organization’s effectiveness, although I do agree that challenging unconstitutional laws is one of the functions. The NRA is and has been a leader in training and certifying instructors, promoting the rights of folks to carry firearms in state legislatures across the country as well as participating in federal (and state) lawsuits. There are several organizations, mainly driven by a few individuals, that have sprung up in the last few years. Whether or not they will remain for the long haul will have to remain to be seen. At any rate, fragmentation of 2A supporters will help those opposed to the 2A more than it will the supporters of the 2A. Ask the man on the street if they know what GOA is and I suspect you will get a blank stare. Then ask them if they have ever heard of the NRA.

Each of us has to decide for themselves which organization can better achieve our objectives, and I am not trying to start an argument. I just think “WLP hate” is being used to create dissension among us and is effectively wounding (or maybe killing) our organization. Better to work towards a leadership change. Nothing worthwhile is ever easy.

As many of you know, I was a very strong giver to the NRA for over 50 years. It wasn't until my long time friend Ollie became President and started snooping around that I began to take all the rumors about WLP and his cronies seriously which was entirely my fault. I had gone from being extremely active in 1975 and part of the 1977 revolt to being too busy with my own businesses and just giving them money.

While I haven't given them money since Indianapolis, I am still a Life Member and I and a number of others are escrowing funds to be given to the NRA when WLP and his cronies are gone. I just hope they resign when the money isn't there for the lifestyle they think they deserve and before the organization collapses completely.

I am a life member at the endowment level and almost done with the upgrade to patron . That is as far as I will go . Every time the NRA sends me something asking for donations , I write in red ink on the invoice , no extra funds till you get rid of W. L. P. !!!!! .

So far that hasn't stopped them from sending pleadings for more money. :rolleyes:

Back