testtest

On The Road……..

Enjoy your adventure! We love taking the RV out. Don’t be surprised with issues-if you’re not constantly fixing stuff the first couple years you’re not “camping”😏. Build quality of pretty much ALL brands is pathetic-you basically buy a kit and then build your camper from it. We are on our 4th-and the ONLY one that didn’t require major work was a Lance TT. The others all had issues that required significant work to resolve. And it’s kind of endemic. Friends bought a new top of the line 45 ft class “A” for $850k. Sold their home and moved in. After four months they had a bunch of issues. Drove back to northern Indiana to the mfgr. The company took their new rig in and spent 9 days making repairs ( while my friends stayed in hotel on their nickel😳). When they picked their rig up the “service manager” had the cajones to say “you know these are NOT designed to be lived in full time”. Really? The standard Exus e is “these are basically a house going through a constant hurricane”. Ok, I can buy that but wouldn’t you think the guys who design these things would KNOW that and build them accordingly? Anyway The good news is that after you’ve bounced down a few road most of the problems will show their heads, you’ll get them fixed and the whole thing becomes a LOT easier and more fun👍. Youlllove the lifestyle, just don’t let silliness like the issue with the pantry (or plumbing leaks-the bane of our present rig) spoil it for you.

Enjoy your adventure! We love taking the RV out. Don’t be surprised with issues-if you’re not constantly fixing stuff the first couple years you’re not “camping”😏. Build quality of pretty much ALL brands is pathetic-you basically buy a kit and then build your camper from it. We are on our 4th-and the ONLY one that didn’t require major work was a Lance TT. The others all had issues that required significant work to resolve. And it’s kind of endemic. Friends bought a new top of the line 45 ft class “A” for $850k. Sold their home and moved in. After four months they had a bunch of issues. Drove back to northern Indiana to the mfgr. The company took their new rig in and spent 9 days making repairs ( while my friends stayed in hotel on their nickel😳). When they picked their rig up the “service manager” had the cajones to say “you know these are NOT designed to be lived in full time”. Really? The standard Exus e is “these are basically a house going through a constant hurricane”. Ok, I can buy that but wouldn’t you think the guys who design these things would KNOW that and build them accordingly? Anyway The good news is that after you’ve bounced down a few road most of the problems will show their heads, you’ll get them fixed and the whole thing becomes a LOT easier and more fun👍. Youlllove the lifestyle, just don’t let silliness like the issue with the pantry (or plumbing leaks-the bane of our present rig) spoil it for you.
My dad always said ….
“ if it has tires or …(umm.. ahh… lets just say … teets ), its going to give you problems 😉🙂

So following a week of seriously bad weather across the mid-west I received a report yesterday afternoon about bad storms heading to my current location with 90mph straight line winds, large and very large hail and flooding rain.
I monitored a weather app and watched a very nasty cell of bad weather heading straight in my direction.
Fortunately just before it hit it completely fizzled out, I did get some wind gusts and very light rain.
I figured out that next time I’ll focus on how concerned my cat was last night.
IMG_5163.jpeg

🤦‍♂️😊😂😂😂😂😂

With all due respect, coming from a fairly extensive experience with and around RV's, the guys who design these things do know and could build them accordingly, but nobody would be able to afford them if they did. And the assertions: “you know these are NOT designed to be lived in full time” and “these are basically a house going through a constant hurricane” is about as true as true can get.

After all they are called 'Recreational Vehicles', not '2nd homes'. I'm not taking a stand with the manufacturers by any means and against the customer, as long as they stand behind their warranties, and most major brands do stand behind them. I'm just suggesting that sometimes we expect a little too much and when we don't get it, we want to blame the builder/manufacturer.

And in all honesty, an $850K class A motor-home is far from "top of the line". "Marchi Mobile" coaches typically start at more $2m and up , "Prevost" and "Marathon" will run better than $1.5m - $2.5m and up to name a few. I'm not trying to argue, only suggest that in reality RV's in general are one of the biggest investments most folks will ever make, and we'll do it with the least amount of knowledge about the product.

It's a fun and adventurous lifestyle for many. For some it turns out to be a disaster. (y)(y)(y)

Last edited:
With all due respect, coming from a fairly extensive experience with and around RV's, the guys who design these things do know and could build them accordingly, but nobody would be able to afford them if they did. And the assertions: “you know these are NOT designed to be lived in full time” and “these are basically a house going through a constant hurricane” is about as true as true can get.

After all they are called 'Recreational Vehicles', not '2nd homes'. I'm not taking a stand with the manufacturers by any means and against the customer, as long as they stand behind their warranties, and most major brands do stand behind them. I'm just suggesting that sometimes we expect a little too much and when we don't get it, we want to blame the builder/manufacturer.

And in all honesty, an $850K class A motor-home is far from "top of the line". "Marchi Mobile" coaches typically start at more $2m and up , "Prevost" and "Marathon" will run better than $1.5m - $2.5m and up to name a few. I'm not trying to argue, only suggest that in reality RV's in general are one of the biggest investments most folks will ever make, and we'll do it with the least amount of knowledge about the product.

It's a fun and adventurous lifestyle for many. For some it turns out to be a disaster. (y)(y)(y)
Joe although I enjoyed your post and found it very amusing your comment is wrong on many levels.
My RV was designed and built as a 4 season RV and although I’ve heard the
“Going through a hurricane” statement many times however the biggest issue people have with their RV’s is being overweight which is a self imposed condition.
I created this thread to share my experiences and although I enjoy humor I’d appreciate you keeping your comments to yourself. Thank you.

Well, with all due respect Mr Keystone, I didn't intent anything I wrote to be comical, but hopefully amusing and maybe a little informative. I also said I was coming "from a fairly extensive experience with and around RV's." I am happy you enjoyed it. However let me say, nothing I said was to the contrary of anything you've brought to light. And I surely didn't write anything I felt would make anyone angry as you indicated in the 'reactions'.

Your RV being built to 4 seasons is great, it still doesn't make it a 2nd home. It simply makes it an RV that can be reasonably comfortably enjoyed all 4 seasons. But remember that only applies where you have constant electricity for the AC during summer and a good supply of LP gas for the heater in winter.

And even though I never mentioned the weight issue, I do agree with you that a great number of times 'overweight' is a major issue, especially for those who are full timing it. Just like in a stick built home, when we're in and out of it every day we often pick up some little mementos and bring them home. Or the wife does a little shopping where the prices are good and brings home a couple extra pounds of clothes, shoes, or maybe a couple little nik-nacks. We find a little corner cubbyhole or crack to put them in and over time that adds up to a lot of mementos and weight. We only realize just how many mementos we've brought home and how much weight we've added when we trade RV's, and or give up the lifestyle. Still doesn't make the RV built for full timing or a 2nd home.

I also said that often an RV is one of the biggest investments we'll make with the least amount of real knowledge. Then when we over use them, over load them, or over work them and they break, we want to blame the RV builder. So again I'll say they are not designed for full time, is truer than ever today because they've continually built bigger and fancier RV's, but not necessarily better over the years. My comment stands: They are not built for full time living, although many are used that way very effectively. Yes, as I stated, they could be built to the same standard as an 'On site' stick built home, but neither you nor me would be able to afford them nor would we be able to buy a vehicle to pull them. Or if we went to Class A gas or even diesel pusher or similar, we wouldn't be able to fund the fuel needs. See my last line in the above paragraph.

My last and most pertinent comment in the post was this: "It's a fun and adventurous lifestyle for many. For some it turns out to be a disaster." And my friend, that comment is every bit as accurate as those about hurricanes and/or not being designed to be lived in full time. That's my very own quote!

So, with all that said, please know that I've been following your thread along so far and enjoyed it for the most part. But unfortunately that still doesn't make it a 2nd home. That simply makes it an RV that you have chosen to use as a 2nd or relocatable home. I wish you all the luck and enjoyment possible and look forward to more posts of your travels.

Now again, with all due respect, I don't see where any/either of my comments are wrong and I thought the reason for these threads was to provide a place for others to add comments. I still enjoy adding a comment here and there, although I'm far more selective these days regarding to whom or where I post old time quotes. ;)

Back