testtest

Optic Choice

Grifter

Custom
Founding Member
Trying to decide between a sig romeo 5 or a vortex strikefire 2 for my AR pistol.

What do you guys think?
20200207_182752.jpg

The Holosun OEs are pretty darned good.

The Strikefire is certainly time-tested, though.

If weight is an issue, the Romeo/Holosun really ticks that box nicely. The fact that the Vortex Strikefire II's mount "cantilevers" the sight farther forward will further shift the center-of-mass forward and farther from the fulcrum point (handgrip at fire-control), which will make the gun feel even heavier than it truly is. (The cantilever mounts were the solution to the packaging problem that the older, larger-bodied RDSs incurred in terms of rail-estate, particularly in cases where between-the-eyepiece -to- shooter's-eye optical accessories were used.)

----

I've got a Romeo 5 on my .300 BLK AR pistol currently. I'm going to switch out for a Vortex venom for faster target engagement. I don't like having to look through the small tube in a rapid drill.

Before you spend more money, 10mmLife, try practicing target-focus with your eyes (and be sure you're both-eyes-open.

Give the techniques I described here a try:

If weight is an issue, the Romeo/Holosun really ticks that box nicely. The fact that the Vortex Strikefire II's mount "cantilevers" the sight farther forward will further shift the center-of-mass forward and farther from the fulcrum point (handgrip at fire-control), which will make the gun feel even heavier than it truly is. (The cantilever mounts were the solution to the packaging problem that the older, larger-bodied RDSs incurred in terms of rail-estate, particularly in cases where between-the-eyepiece -to- shooter's-eye optical accessories were used.)

----

Before you spend more money, 10mmLife, try practicing target-focus with your eyes (and be sure you're both-eyes-open.

Will do! 👍

----

I run a strikefire 2 on another AR and keep it mounted pretty far back. Works well but I do lose some peripheral vision. I really like it though and can get a new one for 129.00 plus tax.

If weight is an issue, the Romeo/Holosun really ticks that box nicely. The fact that the Vortex Strikefire II's mount "cantilevers" the sight farther forward will further shift the center-of-mass forward and farther from the fulcrum point (handgrip at fire-control), which will make the gun feel even heavier than it truly is. (The cantilever mounts were the solution to the packaging problem that the older, larger-bodied RDSs incurred in terms of rail-estate, particularly in cases where between-the-eyepiece -to- shooter's-eye optical accessories were used.

I use a straight mount from Vortex I wasn’t happy with the cantilever either and called them. They sent me out a straight mount for no charge...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    687.7 KB · Views: 193
^ That's how I go mine from its previous owner, too. He also was like you, and preferred a straight mount.

I can't remember (I've since passed that sight along, as a long-term loan to a fellow local shooter): is that straight mount an absolute co-witness, or is it still lower-1/3 like their cantilever?

-----

I run a strikefire 2 on another AR and keep it mounted pretty far back. Works well but I do lose some peripheral vision. I really like it though and can get a new one for 129.00 plus tax.

^ Yup, a lot of it still comes down to personal preference.

Some simply like a bigger viewing window. Others like a slimmer physical profile. Some like it closer - others, farther away.

:)

^ That's how I go mine from its previous owner, too. He also was like you, and preferred a straight mount.

I can't remember (I've since passed that sight along, as a long-term loan to a fellow local shooter): is that straight mount an absolute co-witness, or is it still lower-1/3 like their cantilever?

-----

^ Yup, a lot of it still comes down to personal preference.

Some simply like a bigger viewing window. Others like a slimmer physical profile. Some like it closer - others, farther away.

:)
The one I have is an absolute Co witness....
I love it

It is sort of apples and oranges. The Vortex is an Aimpoint M2 clone, so it is large and kind of heavy comparatively. Since this is on a pistol I would lean towards the Romeo 5. Both are solid sights with good warranties, but your use case should drive your gear choice in this one. For me its usually a dot on cqb/sub guns and a LPVO on my actual fighting carbines.

Back