testtest

Pistol cant question

I have a question which I could probably figure out on my own, but it would take shooting a lot of rounds which are scarce nowadays, as you all know.

Not sure if it's my body make up or old joints, but when I bring my pistol up to shoot and line up sights or see the red dot in this case, it is tough to keep the gun completely perpendicular to the ground. It's much more comfortable to have the pistol canted slightly to the left (as a right hand shooter). I can change my grip where the gun sits further away from my palm and it's easier to get the gun perpendicular, but I think that's also contributing to shooting a little left with my Hellcat.

So, strictly for defensive purposes as opposed to competition or super precise shooting at longer distances, how important is it to keep the pistol perpendicular as opposed to canting it slightly to the left?

Hope this question makes any sense at all.

If it is comfortable and works for you canted, run with it.
what is important is you can fire the weapon and hit your target.
Just know that since you are hitting slightly left as you mention, I would aim a smidge right of bullseye.
Thanks. I believe I'm hitting left due to my grip trying to keep the pistol straight up and down. I feel like it's affecting my trigger pull. If it's not a big deal, next time I hit the range, I'll change my grip and allow the gun to tilt slightly to the left and see what happens. I'm not talking gangster style or anything like that, just maybe tilted to 11 o'clock or so. I wouldn't think within 10 or 15 yards it would affect accuracy, but I'm just not sure and wanted to see what the "experts" have to say.

I was at the range today and what I'm describing were my results. I also shot my 911 in .380 and my grip and groups were fine. But it's a thinner grip and my shots were all on. The Hellcat is a bit fatter and fits in my hand differently. I'm still experimenting with grip and trigger finger placement and pull. Just from dry holding and dry firing, having that slight cant seems to be more comfortable and controlled. Just want to make sure I'm not doing anything completely wrong and developing monstrously bad habits.

If by canting you mean rotating your pistol counter-clockwise, I have read that rotating your gun a small amount actually increases your grip. As long as you’re lining up your sights the bullet should go where you want it to go.
That's what I'm asking about! I can keep the pistol deeper in my palm by canting slightly counter clockwise. For me to keep the pistol at 12 o'clock and not feel binding in my wrist and shoulder, I have to move the pistol away from my palm. Next range visit I'll shoot some with the cant and see how it affects accuracy, especially if most here feel like it's not developing a bad habit that will be detrimental.

That's what I'm asking about! I can keep the pistol deeper in my palm by canting slightly counter clockwise. For me to keep the pistol at 12 o'clock and not feel binding in my wrist and shoulder, I have to move the pistol away from my palm. Next range visit I'll shoot some with the cant and see how it affects accuracy, especially if most here feel like it's not developing a bad habit that will be detrimental.
A lot of defensive handgun courses will discuss rotating your pistol up to 30%. It is akin to the McMillan tilt that most bullseye shooters use for single handed shooting because it aligns the bones in the arm properly for handling recoil. It works with two hands as well, but takes some getting used. Btw, I’m not talking about the sideways “gangsta” grip that is popular in the movies. I think the bottom line is that as we all get older we have to make adjustments whether it’s grip or dealing with our vision or other maladies, as long as you are a competent, responsible shooter and you make adjustments -perhaps even counter to convention - and you can get the bullet where you want it, mission accomplished. More importantly, if that’s what you have to do to continue to enjoy shooting, rotate away.

I’m not making any excuses, but I always had problems with shooting small frame guns, be it a revolver or semi-auto. I almost always hit left of where I was aiming at, full size guns, no problem, I just learned over the years that’s the way it is for me.

In other words Anni...
You’re a Leftist !!!

I knew it all along.... 😞 sigh
E3912623-8B8A-40B5-9B09-C1011AD3E609.gif

A lot of defensive handgun courses will discuss rotating your pistol up to 30%. It is akin to the McMillan tilt that most bullseye shooters use for single handed shooting because it aligns the bones in the arm properly for handling recoil. It works with two hands as well, but takes some getting used. Btw, I’m not talking about the sideways “gangsta” grip that is popular in the movies. I think the bottom line is that as we all get older we have to make adjustments whether it’s grip or dealing with our vision or other maladies, as long as you are a competent, responsible shooter and you make adjustments -perhaps even counter to convention - and you can get the bullet where you want it, mission accomplished. More importantly, if that’s what you have to do to continue to enjoy shooting, rotate away.
Thanks Simon.

I’m not making any excuses, but I always had problems with shooting small frame guns, be it a revolver or semi-auto. I almost always hit left of where I was aiming at, full size guns, no problem, I just learned over the years that’s the way it is for me.
I actually have this problem with my P365. Most of what I shoot are full-size pistols, mainly 5in barrels and when I shoot my P365 I actually have to concentrate on not shooting left.

Yup, knowing yourself is half the battle and compensating for it.
Know a guy who has screwed up trigger finger, he compensates for that and is fine.

Back