testtest

Pistol cant question

Check this out. https://www.usacarry.com/car-shooting-system/. It is the C.A.R “style” and was developed by Paul Castle who trained LEO, he has since passed away and if you have seen John Wick you have seen this stance/shooting style. You first have to shoot what is comfortable for you to get hits on target but you also want to shoot correctly, whichever style you do shoot.
Good article. Thanks Bang!

Another idea is, get a laser bore sight (basically a fake round that you chamber, with a laser in the tip). Load it up and see where it points your barrel, tilted versus straight up. Use that as your baseline adjustment - "when I tilt, my barrel points X inches to the left so I need to adjust X inches to the right to hit the bull".

Check this out. https://www.usacarry.com/car-shooting-system/. It is the C.A.R “style” and was developed by Paul Castle who trained LEO, he has since passed away and if you have seen John Wick you have seen this stance/shooting style. You first have to shoot what is comfortable for you to get hits on target but you also want to shoot correctly, whichever style you do shoot.
Center Axis Relock Is really intended for close quarters and is effectively a point shooting method. It’s not really something that would be practical at the range. Unless you’re John Wick. If you can find a CAR class it’s worth doing.

Center Axis Relock Is really intended for close quarters and is effectively a point shooting method. It’s not really something that would be practical at the range. Unless you’re John Wick. If you can find a CAR class it’s worth doing.

Close quarters, somewhat. Point shooting, not so much. Shooting with your non dominant eye? Yes, but the OP said he had a red dot so lining up sights shouldn’t be to much of an issue. I was just suggesting it more for the stance for the stance. Maybe something he could tweak or try out. There are many different techniques out there and a bunch of knowledgeable folks on here with great opinions. I don’t know anyone that teaches a C.A.R class specifically but that could teach that stance or style along with other styles or techniques.

I have a question which I could probably figure out on my own, but it would take shooting a lot of rounds which are scarce nowadays, as you all know.

Not sure if it's my body make up or old joints, but when I bring my pistol up to shoot and line up sights or see the red dot in this case, it is tough to keep the gun completely perpendicular to the ground. It's much more comfortable to have the pistol canted slightly to the left (as a right hand shooter). I can change my grip where the gun sits further away from my palm and it's easier to get the gun perpendicular, but I think that's also contributing to shooting a little left with my Hellcat.

So, strictly for defensive purposes as opposed to competition or super precise shooting at longer distances, how important is it to keep the pistol perpendicular as opposed to canting it slightly to the left?

Hope this question makes any sense at all.

I do not consider this to be an issue at all. Many people find it more anatomically pleasing and even innate to cant the weapon slightly. If I understand you correctly, we are not talking about tv/movie gangster style but rather a 1:00 cant(lefty) 11:00 cant (righty). So long as your accuracy is not suffering, a slight cant is not anything that I would worry about personally.

I do not consider this to be an issue at all. Many people find it more anatomically pleasing and even innate to cant the weapon slightly. If I understand you correctly, we are not talking about tv/movie gangster style but rather a 1:00 cant(lefty) 11:00 cant (righty). So long as your accuracy is not suffering, a slight cant is not anything that I would worry about personally.
(y)

Back