testtest

Possible Wounded Bear

Around 40-75lbs are perfect.
Big Boars= buzzard food . Nasty.

Famales in that 40-75lb are ideal
Awesome info KillerF! Thankyou I have always wondered!

So how would you compare good wild pork vs store bought vs home grown? Is wild pork fatty? I love pork fat! If pork fat taste is anything like crack? Then remind me never to try crack because I'm literally addicted to pork fat 😋 and guns, so I don't need a third addiction! 😂

I buy A hog off my neighbor every year for bacon, shoulder steaks, and other cuts. Also for making pure pork sausage and mixing with wild game for WG sausage as well, and I can testify that home grown pork blows store bought out of the water! Way more flavor and fat. In my opinion. Store bought is blan these days! I always wondered how prime wild pork compared in the mix?

So how would you compare good wild pork vs store bought vs home grown? Is wild pork fatty? I love pork fat! If pork fat taste is anything like crack? Then remind me never to try crack because I'm literally addicted to pork fat 😋 and guns, so I don't need a third addiction! 😂

I buy A hog off my neighbor every year for bacon, shoulder steaks, and other cuts. Also for making pure pork sausage and mixing with wild game for WG sausage as well, and I can testify that home grown pork blows store bought out of the water! Way more flavor and fat. In my opinion. Store bought is blan these days! I always wondered how prime wild pork compared in the mix?
It is not as fatty as they are on the move constantly.
It does have a “gamey” taste to it.
Loins and straps need a nice 24 brine and then some good marinade &/or spice rub.
After brine and season, they can be very delicious.

Smoking the hams and quarters or the whole hog is delicious as well.

Here is some of the loins about to go on the grill.
7A9A6EEF-094B-460F-AE3A-A5B23C68603B.jpeg

I'm not KillerF but will give my opinion. Only experience is with Southern Texas variant. They are not as fatty and can be a little gamey. Taste depends completely on their food sources. Cook like any other game meat to remove gaminess. Best I had was some from a 65 lb female that was taken off a farm where they had been invading his small apple orchard and corn cribs for quite some time. That was a verrrrry good eating hog...

I
I'm not KillerF but will give my opinion. Only experience is with Southern Texas variant. They are not as fatty and can be a little gamey. Taste depends completely on their food sources. Cook like any other game meat to remove gaminess. Best I had was some from a 65 lb female that was taken off a farm where they had been invading his small apple orchard and corn cribs for quite some time. That was a verrrrry good eating hog...
I would think a ferrell hog that's been eating apples and corn cribs for a while. Wouldn't need any marinade or dry rub at all. Unless very little for a bit of flavor, or just salt and pepper even. I worked for a small hog farmer when I was in Jr. high that got expired dairy, fruit, and fresh bread and pastries from the grocery store in town to feed his pigs. That was definitely some of the best pork I'd ever had!

IMG_20220428_225144719.jpgIMG_20220430_120845578_HDR.jpg
Wuts left of ten year old Ryan's seat from his 50cc motor cycle after almost colliding with a young bear. Approximately a seven footer. He spooked up either resting by or getting ready to cross the road. Ryan hit the brakes wipped out, got up, and started running home. The bear ran off as well in the opposite direction then came back several minutes later and chewed up Ryan's seat! Had they actually collided. I seriously doubt Ryan would still be here. I strongly feel the bear would have felt to threatened turned and mauled ten year old Ryan.IMG_20220430_120839218_HDR.jpgScreenshot_20220429-153426~2.png
Three of us neighbors went out looking that evening in different directions. I posted up in a stand and tried calling it in with a deer distress call with unsuccessful results. The bottom picture was taken about a half hour before I lost shooting light. I hiked out of the woods and got to the road right at dark. I should have called it quits 15 minutes sooner. No good hiking out in low light alone after trying to call in a bear for two hours. Big mistake and I knew better.
IMG_20220428_221920055.jpg

Last edited:
Hopefully as the weather gets warmer and more vegetation comes up. The bear will move on! Why nobody took it out this morning when they spotted it? I have no idea. I didn't hear about it until an hour after it had been seen. The bear could have been anywhere or long gone at that point. I'm still going to go have a look this evening.

Back