testtest

PSA to the Rescue!!!

I'd shoot steel cased ammo in AK's all day long if I was so inclined. It would be interesting to know if the bullets they are selling have a lead or steel core because most indoor ranges won't allow steel cored ammo.

Last edited:
New guy here. No where near an expert. Just saying.
I bought 1K of those for my saint 5.56. Couldn't even get thru 100 rounds before they started jamming my saint. Never again. We fought thru 300 rounds before giving up. I will run them thru my Stag. I am left handed. Cheap gun. Cheap ammo.

As far as Jarred with Guns and Gadgets, he did a video about self defense shooting. I watched it. 1 of the guys he was interviewing is some sort of a gun rights hater. Doesn't believe we as citizens have the right to own guns. I tried finding that video to share but it seems to be missing now. It was a few months ago. I cant remember his name. There was a backlash by Jarred"s viewers who knew who the guy is and what he stood for. Just saying.

I originally got on this forum to find out if Springfield is building or has plans to build a 10mm XDm Elite 5.25 OSP ready.

I bought 1K of those for my saint 5.56. Couldn't even get thru 100 rounds before they started jamming my saint. Never again. We fought thru 300 rounds before giving up. I will run them thru my Stag. I am left handed. Cheap gun. Cheap ammo.

As far as Jarred with Guns and Gadgets, he did a video about self defense shooting. I watched it. 1 of the guys he was interviewing is some sort of a gun rights hater. Doesn't believe we as citizens have the right to own guns. I tried finding that video to share but it seems to be missing now. It was a few months ago. I cant remember his name. There was a backlash by Jarred"s viewers who knew who the guy is and what he stood for. Just saying.

I originally got on this forum to find out if Springfield is building or has plans to build a 10mm XDm Elite 5.25 OSP ready.
10mm search brought me here also almost 2 years ago. I've been trying too find out if an OSP complete slide assembly will function on an xdm precision (5.25")?

Disagree on cheapness. - Not on the frustrations though. Firearms chambered for steel or brass cased ammo are usually chambered differently using different specs and tolerances. Brass and steel cased firearms are generally chambered differently because of how the cases react and expand in the firearm.

Brass can and does expand, contract and behave differently than steel. Brass is naturally more forgiving in some ways where steel isn't, depending on steel or brass used, because of different characteristic properties. For example: Failure to eject steel cased ammo from a firearm designed to use brass cased ammo is often and tends to be because steel isn't as forgiving and or as soft as brass is from my experience. Steel expands and doesn't contract in the chamber the same like brass does. - Can usually fire brass cased ammo easier in a firearm made for steel cased ammo than vice versa though. Cheapness isn't usually the case. Am no expert either, just different experiences is all?

My Ruger 5.56 shoots fabulous ... except for TulAmmo. Pieces of lead, 3/8" in size, were tearing off the bullets during loading and eventually getting into the chamber causing the cases to jamb in the chamber. This has happened all 3 times I tried to get thru a mag of the junk.

10mm search brought me here also almost 2 years ago. I've been trying too find out if an OSP complete slide assembly will function on an xdm precision (5.25")?
I found a place in Portland that make a plate and I bought it. Replaces rear site. Just cant get it to sight in. Now looking for a total new slide that is OSP ready. I am sure someone makes it. Springfield?? Can you hear me?? lol

Disagree on cheapness. - Not on the frustrations though. Firearms chambered for steel or brass cased ammo are usually chambered differently using different specs and tolerances. Brass and steel cased firearms are generally chambered differently because of how the cases react and expand in the firearm.

Brass can and does expand, contract and behave differently than steel. Brass is naturally more forgiving in some ways where steel isn't, depending on steel or brass used, because of different characteristic properties. For example: Failure to eject steel cased ammo from a firearm designed to use brass cased ammo is often and tends to be because steel isn't as forgiving and or as soft as brass is from my experience. Steel expands and doesn't contract in the chamber the same like brass does. - Can usually fire brass cased ammo easier in a firearm made for steel cased ammo than vice versa though. Cheapness isn't usually the case. Am no expert either, just different experiences is all?
Thank you for the info. All helps. I think that they both should be the same size when manufactured? As far as cases go. I will let my 18yo shoot the Stag with them. See what happens.

I'd shoot steel cased ammo in AK's all day long if I was so inclined. It would be interesting to know if the bullets they are selling have a lead or steel core because most indoor ranges won't allow steel cored ammo.
It’s all lead core.

Steelcore has been banned since the 1990’s.

Some of it, however, has a “bimetal” jacket—a a copper-washed, mild steel jacket over the lead core (which is why a magnet will stick to some bullets).

It’s all lead core.

Steelcore has been banned since the 1990’s.

Some of it, however, has a “bimetal” jacket—a a copper-washed, mild steel jacket over the lead core (which is why a magnet will stick to some bullets).
More of the tip is metal than a total core. They do sell a similar 62gr 22cal lap, but other cals I'm not sure? Handguns I've never heard of with that type of bullets and don't know if ever existed? The tip is magnetic on them. They are longer than other 62gr in the same caliber. They are not pulled bullets, but new production.

More of the tip is metal than a total core. They do sell a similar 62gr 22cal lap, but other cals I'm not sure? Handguns I've never heard of with that type of bullets and don't know if ever existed? The tip is magnetic on them. They are longer than other 62gr in the same caliber. They are not pulled bullets, but new production.
That’s 5.56 M855/SS109, which is different thing entirely.

Not made in Russia.

Steel core was, typically, 7.62x39, and almost exclusively Chinese manufacturered. Banned for importation under Clinton.

M855 is often US surplus—but a few other manufacturers—and can be imported (NATO designation SS109, and there’s some Lithuanian surplus out there that is probably one of the most accurate 5.56 62gr surplus loads extant).

But it’s a different thing entirely. Tungsten-steel penetrator tip.

Not made in Russia.

Steel core was, typically, 7.62x39, and almost exclusively Chinese manufacturered. Banned for importation under Clinton.

M855 is often US surplus—but a few other manufacturers—and can be imported (NATO designation SS109, and there’s some Lithuanian surplus out there that is probably one of the most accurate 5.56 62gr surplus loads extant).

So true

Thank you for the info. All helps. I think that they both should be the same size when manufactured? As far as cases go. I will let my 18yo shoot the Stag with them. See what happens.
You're welcome. To help clarify more? Steel and brass ammo are likely close to same sizing tolerances in order to fit into chamber, but? Steel and brass are different metals and react differently in the chamber. What am getting at is brass is softer, can give and take more than steel casings and steel casings may get hung up in the chamber easier. The softer brass seals the chamber, usually better than steel when ammo is ignited. But, then the brass ammo then contracts better or more after firing than the steel does so brass casing is easier to extract. Have heard many older guns designed for brass casings with more wear on them have had no or fewer issues with using steel casings later on. So, sometimes, only time and use will tell?

Not made in Russia.

I think I still have some of the Chi-Com ammo that came into the U.S. in the 80s. The steel cases were copper plated. The rounds came on stripper clips and the primers were corrosive.

Hello all. I came here for a different reason but since I live 30 minutes from the PSA store in Greenville, SC I clicked on the post to see what was being said. I just wanted to say that shooting steel case ammo will not hurt the chamber, "may be a little rough on the extractor", but may not always function. I will say that I have shot several hundred steel cased Tula .223 ammo through two of my CZ Bren2 ms and a few hundred through my Colt LE6920 without a single issue with any. Thought I'd share some first hand experience.

Back