testtest

Qualify with what you carry

bangnburp

Operator
I had to requalify this past Saturday, good grief what a joke. I realize we all carry different weapons, but if you bring a Browning Buck mark with bull barrel and red dot, there is no way I believe you carry that A Ruger Mark IV target with a laser? Yeah right, and I suppose you carry that six inch barrel 22 revolver too. People please shoot what you carry, or stop carrying plinkers.

I had to requalify this past Saturday, good grief what a joke. I realize we all carry different weapons, but if you bring a Browning Buck mark with bull barrel and red dot, there is no way I believe you carry that A Ruger Mark IV target with a laser? Yeah right, and I suppose you carry that six inch barrel 22 revolver too. People please shoot what you carry, or stop carrying plinkers.
not so fast...

many time's at least here, the range recommends qualifying with larger caliber. reason being sure, you might just carry a 9mm, but some carry a 45 ACP at times too.

here, when we qualify, it is marked on the permit, the caliber...so say i only qualify with the 9mm.

but then i buy a super nice compact 45 (and i have), and i carry that..??

i am in violation. i can be charged with carrying a non-permitted gun.

also too, the 45 ACP is smoother than a 9mm, allowing for better scores..i know i have personally seen this from people at the range trying to qualify with guns under 45's.

Last edited:
i found out a few weeks ago, red dots ARE ALLOWED to use to qualify.....my next qualification in in 2025, you had better believe i am getting one for that time.

and no, i do not carry with a red dot, but i want every advantage i can have, qualifying at the 25 YARDS..or 75 feet away target.

THAT distance is ridiculous.....not the size of the caliber..!!

Thankfully in my state when you qualify, you can shoot whatever you want for the certification, and carry whatever you want.
My class had everything from a single action .22, to .357 Sig on the line. To my knowledge, everyone in the class qualified....
Shoot what you want, but practice.....

In nj you can only carry the gun you qualify with. If you want to carry something different you have to re-qualify with that particular gun. And there’s an added fee, of course.
NJ sounds like Illinois on their LEOSA. The LEOSA law doesn’t require multiple types and each firearm but Illinois requires both wheelgun or semi auto.

I’d like to see a class action against those states and using the federal law of LEOSA as well as you don’t have to take a drivers test on anything under a certain weight you drive other than a Motorcycle.let alone every couple years

All silliness

NJ sounds like Illinois on their LEOSA. The LEOSA law doesn’t require multiple types and each firearm but Illinois requires both wheelgun or semi auto.

I’d like to see a class action against those states and using the federal law of LEOSA as well as you don’t have to take a drivers test on anything under a certain weight you drive other than a Motorcycle.let alone every couple years

All silliness
I’m not familiar with what LEOSA means.

I’m not familiar with what LEOSA means.
It’s the Law Enforcement Officers Safety Act it requires LEOs to be qualified to carry.

The reason I brought it up some states like with a permit require LEOSA folks to qualify in specific lane model or semi and revolver separately however in the LEOSA law it doesn’t require it. To the point some agencies might shoot a Glock at FLEYv but issue a DAO Beretta the FLETc attorneys made that president

So if a group got together they could use that Federal Law to get ride of state minutia on that whole BS and just shoot one gun.

Not sure it would matter to me what anyone else qualified with, don't worry about other people and thier business, when it does not affect me.

I must admit i laughed a bit imagining someone trying to conceal a buck mark.

Gotta say- for the 1st time since I joined this community, I’m NOT envious of everyone else’s state latitudes cuz in my county, & rest of the state I believe, if it’s listed on ur permit, you can carry it. Period. And … we don’t have to qualify at all or demonstrate any sorta competence shooting. I’m shocked reading all y’all’s hoops ya gotta jump thru. First time I’m grateful where I live, permit-wise at least.

In nj you can only carry the gun you qualify with. If you want to carry something different you have to re-qualify with that particular gun. And there’s an added fee, of course.
that is asinine...at least here, if i qualified with the .45 ACP which i did, i can carry all calibers "up to" that .45...

but to have to qualify on the different calibers just to carry that one particular caliber that day is just......crazy stupid.

Not saying that. Just saying be honest with yourself. Hitting the target with a .22 is not preparing you for the recoil to carry a .45 is it?
qualify with the highest caliber, to be "covered" to carry all "up to" that caliber...then just carry and practice what YOU DO carry....

why limit yourself, if "some day" you want to carry a different caliber, and let's say if your your state is like NJ and demands you re-qualify again...???

it's like trucking and getting the CDL license....i recommend that new drivers get ALL the endorsements on that license, that they can, to be more employable......don't want "hazmat" for instance..???

then you just limited yourself to jobs that are hiring ONLY hazmat endorsed drivers....and you are outside the gate...looking in, kicking yourself in the butt, for NOT having that endorsement, and NO other jobs available.

Back