testtest

Qualify with what you carry

Sorry, I am still sutck on teh "qualify", permitted to carry" and "listed on your permit" stuff.

All of this is insane and I can't wrap my head around any of it.

I can't believe any of these are even a thing. Well, I know NY has the stupid pistols listed on your permit thing, and it disgusts me. I can't believe sates are still getting away with this.

Florida annual LEOSA qualification for retirees is the same course of fire as active duty LEO quals. The qualification card says semi-auto or revolver. I qualify with both, but don't carry a revolver much.

I am too simple minded to be switching guns around all the time so I just stick with the prom date rule. Whatever you do you are doing with the one you came with, so choose wisely.

Florida annual LEOSA qualification for retirees is the same course of fire as active duty LEO quals. The qualification card says semi-auto or revolver. I qualify with both, but don't carry a revolver much.

I am too simple minded to be switching guns around all the time so I just stick with the prom date rule. Whatever you do you are doing with the one you came with, so choose wisely.
If they charge for both it’s a simple money making scam as LEOSA does not require both types. I have seen a place the person running it confused LEOSA with his own department policy and wanted you to shoot each gun. (Which he has since changed to one and some since)

Indiana the course of fire seems to be up to the place running it but several of use run a simple backup gun course (designed around a 5 shot Snub) And many have an issue with that no different than any civilian they are both people and most have an exaggerated opinion on how well they can drive, shoot and swoon the ladies!

If they charge for both it’s a simple money making scam as LEOSA does not require both types. I have seen a place the person running it confused LEOSA with his own department policy and wanted you to shoot each gun. (Which he has since changed to one and some since)

Indiana the course of fire seems to be up to the place running it but several of use run a simple backup gun course (designed around a 5 shot Snub) And many have an issue with that no different than any civilian they are both people and most have an exaggerated opinion on how well they can drive, shoot and swoon the ladies!
There is no charge. The state's position for liability purposes is that you have qualified with the type you carry. LEOSA leaves the qualification course up to the states. It made sense to Florida to use the LEO course of fire.

For those not familiar with LEOSA, it is a federal law permitting an active officer or officer who served 10 or more years honorably to carry a firearm in all the states and territories. It was passed by Congress following 9/11 with the idea that the more trained and armed officers and retired officers out there the better. Some states prior to that didn't want armed officers from other jurisdictions on their turf and there were a number of cases where officers were arrested in other states. LEOSA cleared that up at the federal level.

The officer's agency issues an ID which certifies the service eligibility and leaves it up to the states/agencies to administer a qualification course. My sheriff's office runs LEOSA quals twice a year. Usually about 30-40 retired officers show up. The range staff have commented they wish their active officers could shoot that well.

There is no charge. The state's position for liability purposes is that you have qualified with the type you carry. LEOSA leaves the qualification course up to the states. It made sense to Florida to use the LEO course of fire.

For those not familiar with LEOSA, it is a federal law permitting an active officer or officer who served 10 or more years honorably to carry a firearm in all the states and territories. It was passed by Congress following 9/11 with the idea that the more trained and armed officers and retired officers out there the better. Some states prior to that didn't want armed officers from other jurisdictions on their turf and there were a number of cases where officers were arrested in other states. LEOSA cleared that up at the federal level.

The officer's agency issues an ID which certifies the service eligibility and leaves it up to the states/agencies to administer a qualification course. My sheriff's office runs LEOSA quals twice a year. Usually about 30-40 retired officers show up. The range staff have commented they wish their active officers could shoot that well.
Quickly on that

My state requires that LEOSA qual has to be conducted a LE Academy Instructor certified person. You have to be associated with a State Municiple or County agency to keep your certs. Here’s what I am seeing (and I am in the process of talking to state reps to get Thai fixed)

We are seeing a lot of Chiefs and Sheriffs not allowing their department or instructors in individual capacity conduct LEOSA quals as the political winds they fear liability which is total BS. They make an illegal shoot that’s on them no different on an active member off duty

Fortunately my Sheriff is good with me running them for BOP retirees. But I see the writing in the wall and he’s in his second and final term so hopefully my reps with Guy Relford can get this quashed before it’s a problem

Thank the Lord we don’t have restrictions on what you carry-I’m an old civilian and with my CCDW ( or even without since we’re Constitutional Carry) I carry what works for me and what I’m doing That day. With that said, I don’t understand why a body would choose NOT to use the weapon they’ll actually carry to qualify. If you can’t shoot whatever you carry accurately and comfortably IMHO you need to practice until you can. Grandson’s a deputy sheriff. In his agency the line officers qual once/ year and the Swat guys every 6 months-and it has to be with their carry weapon. That’s the only time a lot of these folks shoot, period. The boy and a couple of his buddies built their own range and “qual” and work on skills at least once a month. I don’t understand why a person whose life may depend upon their skill with a firearm would not strive to be as proficient as possible WITH that firearm. Every handgun I CC gets shot, regularly. at targets from 10-25 yards. I often practice with a .22 but every session includes at least 50 rounds through a carry piece. I also practice shooting from the hip at 5 yards (that’ll make you humble-very tough -for me anyway-to develop that skill). Remember If you can quickly hit a target at 25 hitting the same target at 10 is easy…God bless those of you who wear the badge and are on the line between the citizens and the two legged predators!

Thank the Lord we don’t have restrictions on what you carry-I’m an old civilian and with my CCDW ( or even without since we’re Constitutional Carry) I carry what works for me and what I’m doing That day. With that said, I don’t understand why a body would choose NOT to use the weapon they’ll actually carry to qualify. If you can’t shoot whatever you carry accurately and comfortably IMHO you need to practice until you can. Grandson’s a deputy sheriff. In his agency the line officers qual once/ year and the Swat guys every 6 months-and it has to be with their carry weapon. That’s the only time a lot of these folks shoot, period. The boy and a couple of his buddies built their own range and “qual” and work on skills at least once a month. I don’t understand why a person whose life may depend upon their skill with a firearm would not strive to be as proficient as possible WITH that firearm. Every handgun I CC gets shot, regularly. at targets from 10-25 yards. I often practice with a .22 but every session includes at least 50 rounds through a carry piece. I also practice shooting from the hip at 5 yards (that’ll make you humble-very tough -for me anyway-to develop that skill). Remember If you can quickly hit a target at 25 hitting the same target at 10 is easy…God bless those of you who wear the badge and are on the line between the citizens and the two legged predators!

In LE you have a 10/80/10 breakdown top 10% are your folks that shoot and train in their own dime and want to always stay sharp and improve. The middle 80% are your average with the bulk hoveiring around or just over the minimum passing score and often quip “good enough til next time” but is it really? As there are more of those and they seem to get dropped into the majority of shooting incidents

Then the bottom 10% is why agencies dumb down qualification requirements.

Civilians are the same brake-down (I mean we are all people)

Like us in here take firearms more serious than most gun owners how many gun owners do we all know that treat it like we do a fire extinguisher? We all have a fire extinguisher in the house but we don’t practice putting out fires and we aren’t on fire fighting forums talking about everything fire related!

Sorry, I am still sutck on teh "qualify", permitted to carry" and "listed on your permit" stuff.

All of this is insane and I can't wrap my head around any of it.

I can't believe any of these are even a thing. Well, I know NY has the stupid pistols listed on your permit thing, and it disgusts me. I can't believe sates are still getting away with this.
There are several communist states in the so called land of the free.

In LE you have a 10/80/10 breakdown top 10% are your folks that shoot and train in their own dime and want to always stay sharp and improve. The middle 80% are your average with the bulk hoveiring around or just over the minimum passing score and often quip “good enough til next time” but is it really? As there are more of those and they seem to get dropped into the majority of shooting incidents

Then the bottom 10% is why agencies dumb down qualification requirements.

Civilians are the same brake-down (I mean we are all people)

Like us in here take firearms more serious than most gun owners how many gun owners do we all know that treat it like we do a fire extinguisher? We all have a fire extinguisher in the house but we don’t practice putting out fires and we aren’t on fire fighting forums talking about everything fire related!
Only because Hi-Point doesnt make a fire extinguisher

I'm not required to qualify with anything when I renew my permit.

The only time I ever had to "Qualify "for my permit was the very first time and that was a requirement of the person who was teaching the class not the State.

That said I do understand what the op is trying to say. It doesn't do you any good to go to your whiz-bang Tactical class and practice with a Glock 17 on a duty belt when in reality what you carry is an LC9 in a pocket holster.

If you're going to carry a particular gun that's the gun you should carry to any training class you attended

I feel these strict states mentioned limit the carrier. You are limited in your choice of firearms to fit different situations you may find yourself in. You may end up not carrying at all due to concealment issues. I carry different firearms depending the surroundings I may find myself in or the change in weather conditions. I am proficient with all my firearms which I shoot on a regular basis.

I shoot IDPA Matches with my carry gun so as to stay proficient with it. I'm not as fast as the guys shooting fully dressed optic guns but I do pretty well.
You are fine. Shoot the matches and have fun it does build some skill. You learn moving shooting around cover etc. maybe not as good as a quality class but it’s something.

That said In reality you can only go as fast as you can asses the targets and you don’t get a 5 min walkthrough where every target gets 2 rounds with no penalty follow up shots in most cases if you can make 1/2 second splits with hood hits your meeting LAPD SWAT standards and they win their fights!

In New Mexico if you qualify with a revolver you can only carry revolver.If you want to carry a semi you have to qualify on that and get it added to permit or you can qualify with both on the same day and application. In semi's most people qualify with 45acp so they they can carry any caliber smaller than that. Also last time I checked the smallest caliber you could qualify with for CCW was 380. I have to re-qual this year and just going to shoot with a 9mm as I won't be carrying a 45acp anymore because of back issues.

In New Mexico if you qualify with a revolver you can only carry revolver.If you want to carry a semi you have to qualify on that and get it added to permit or you can qualify with both on the same day and application. In semi's most people qualify with 45acp so they they can carry any caliber smaller than that. Also last time I checked the smallest caliber you could qualify with for CCW was 380. I have to re-qual this year and just going to shoot with a 9mm as I won't be carrying a 45acp anymore because of back issues.
but it is still good to know, that when we qualify with say even a 50AE, we are covered for ALL caliber below that..

just sucks that in some states, like yours and NJ, one must qualify on the type of gun, (semi or revolver) rather than just the caliber.

money grab is all i can think of.

Back