testtest

Recommendations for 12 Gauge Ammo for Home Defense

Home invasions with more than two assailants are ridiculously rare statistically. It’s way more likely you would be dealing with a bungled burglary where someone thought no one was home. Surprise MFer. ;-)
I guess I’m trying to draw the distinction between one threat and a group of threats. It’s pretty likely for most homeowners a 12 gauge with a capacity of 8 rds would be plenty. I would want something else if I was tasked with clearing a house with an unknown number of targets. KSG25 and a full sized auto with a couple mags maybe. Or an SBR.

I guess I don't see a difference between a home defense gun and CQB gun. Home defense is inherently CQB, but could be larger based on the footprint one wants/has to defend. If "home defense" means your house and property (depending on how much you have) then you could then throw a full blown AR or other rifle into the mix.

And, there's no guarantee that you'll only have one intruder into your home to defend against.

I don't see any difference between clearing a house with a shotgun, a handgun or the PCC Glock above. All do the job. It's a difference between which tool one is more comfortable and proficient with, and based on personal preference.

The PCC Glock pictured above is not a rifle but a pistol in a chassis that improves its usability for some. It's really no different (application wise) than an AR pistol (other than the cartridge and its capabilities) that is popular now.

I like the configuration because I have increased the usability of Glocks that I really didn't use anymore because I moved on to XDs/XDms. Plus, I am much more accurate with the PCC Glock than I am with the individual guns outside the chassis. I think that is a benefit for home defense. No ninjas involved.

If folks want to use a shotgun that's fine. Every firearm has it's pluses & minuses.

As you say we make our own individual choices. Nothing wrong with that.

My .02

BTW - CAA makes those chassis to accommodate XDs now.

You just had to tell me that didn't you!? LOL

Home invasions with more than two assailants are ridiculously rare statistically. It’s way more likely you would be dealing with a bungled burglary where someone thought no one was home. Surprise MFer. ;-)
I guess I’m trying to draw the distinction between one threat and a group of threats. It’s pretty likely for most homeowners a 12 gauge with a capacity of 8 rds would be plenty. I would want something else if I was tasked with clearing a house with an unknown number of targets. KSG25 and a full sized auto with a couple mags maybe. Or an SBR.

I personally think maneuvering a long KSG25 down a narrow hallway would be unwieldy.

I tried the KSG & KS7 for awhile and got rid of them.

My .02

I personally think maneuvering a long KSG25 down a narrow hallway would be unwieldy.

I tried the KSG & KS7 for awhile and got rid of them.

My .02

It isn’t if you train with the weapon. You need 40” give or take to shoulder it, but it shoots just fine off your shoulder too. Same for the 500 with a combo pistol grip/ butt stock. It’s slightly shorter, about 7” but the tube holds 8 not 25.
I have a BFG Vickers sling for the KSG and that is really effective. That said, the closest weapon to me where I sleep is a 500 with an 18” barrel.

It isn’t if you train with the weapon. You need 40” give or take to shoulder it, but it shoots just fine off your shoulder too. Same for the 500 with a combo pistol grip/ butt stock. It’s slightly shorter, about 7” but the tube holds 8 not 25.
I have a BFG Vickers sling for the KSG and that is really effective. That said, the closest weapon to me where I sleep is a 500 with an 18” barrel.

Standard hallway width is 36".

My self defense shotguns are;
  1. Mossberg M590A1 18.5" with extended mag tube. Standard stock.
  2. Mossberg Shockwave w/pistol brace.
  3. Rem 1187 Police with a combo pistol grip/ butt stock.
The "long ones" are for Multi-gun/outside use. The SW is for compactness when traveling.

So I'm not totally against shotguns, but they're not my primaries.

My .02

Last edited:
Standard hallway width is 36".

My self defense shotgun is a Mossberg M590A1 18.5" with extended mag tube. Standard stock.

I do have a Rem 1187 Police with a combo pistol grip/ butt stock.

Both are for Multi-gun/outside use.

My .02

I have no real hallways in my house. Even so I wouldn’t be turned sideways shooting into a wall or carrying the weapon sideways so it’s a moot point. As I said, I train with my weapons. In my house. Everything ain’t for everyone brother. Use what you like. ;-)

I know there are many factors that contribute to the type of weapon and ammo used for home defense. I currently have a Mossberg 500 ATI Tactical 12 gauge. I have a wife, 2 dogs, and 2 cats. Everyone sleeps in the same room together at night. I still have concern about over-penetration due to my neighbors’ houses being 20-40 yards away on either side of my house. I currently chamber Federal LE Tactical 00 Buck (9 pellets). It is a reduced recoil and Flitecontrol Wad round. What does everyone else use/recommend for their home situations?
Just the garden variety Remington green and yellow box 00 buckshot. If those pellets out of a 3 inch shell can't get the job done, it isn't supposed to be done.

You know coming to think about it I’ve honestly never used anything other then Federal 12 Gauge bird shot in a shot gun.

The terminal ballistics of a pistol round out of a PCC barrel is higher than out of a pistol barrel.

Considering how 99% of stick-built houses are nowadays there's there's not much difference in what happens with intermediate barriers.

In CQB conditions there's not much diff in effectiveness between a PCC and a 5.56 SBR IMO. Past 50 yds yes.

My .02

But that's the thing, right?

I get it: the PCC will put more oomph behind the bullet (but here my question is whether this will push the bullet out of the FBI's penetration parameters and thus potentially decrease effectiveness at closer distances?)...but by giving up maneuverability/handling versus the pistol but perhaps not being any more terminally effective than the .223/5.56 SBR/"pistol" - with which it shares the same footprint - what am I really gaining?

Noise mitigation, which is not something to sneer at, definitely.

And weight, definitely as well.

But do I really gain anything on maneuverability/handling? It's a sholder-fired weapon in application, just as you noted above.

I guess maybe where the shooter becomes less comfortable with the handgun at-distance makes the PCC appealing - but here, again, what can the PCC offer me that a switch to the carbine cannot?

Or maybe this is just simply two ways of slicing the same cake?

I guess to offset that last above, it could be argued that a shared-magazine PCC setup on a HD-belt/plate-carrier would allow one to simply carry one consistent load-out of magazines, and obviate the need to ammo-manage two different setups. I can definitely see where that may be an advantage. But if the fight does go outdoors for some reason, that would again swing things in favor of the carbine.....

And that brings me to this:

I think it's evident by this thread's progression that there's definitely many ways to skin this cat. :)

Last edited:
You know coming to think about it I’ve honestly never used anything other then Federal 12 Gauge bird shot in a shot gun.

Most definitely so. But I need to get me a new 12 gauge anyway so I’ll check out some different ammunition.

^ Yup.

It's a lot of fun to totally obliterate an IPDA/USPSA torso at the 10 with double-ought, and then slug-select out to the 100 to ring steel. :)

Don't forget to then come back to the cardboard and (safely, if you have to re-orient the target due to range limitations) pop off the head with your handgun! ;) Better safe than sorry, right? Wouldn't want that cardboard to go all zombie on ya!

But that's the thing, right?

I get it: the PCC will put more oomph behind the bullet (but here my question is whether this will push the bullet out of the FBI's penetration parameters and thus potentially decrease effectiveness at closer distances?)...but by giving up maneuverability/handling versus the pistol but perhaps not being any more terminally effective than the .223/5.56 SBR/"pistol" - with which it shares the same footprint - what am I really gaining?

Noise mitigation, which is not something to sneer at, definitely.

And weight, definitely as well.

But do I really gain anything on maneuverability/handling? It's a sholder-fired weapon in application, just as you noted above.

I guess maybe where the shooter becomes less comfortable with the handgun at-distance makes the PCC appealing - but here, again, what can the PCC offer me that a switch to the carbine cannot?

Or maybe this is just simply two ways of slicing the same cake?

I guess to offset that last above, it could be argued that a shared-magazine PCC setup on a HD-belt/plate-carrier would allow one to simply carry one consistent load-out of magazines, and obviate the need to ammo-manage two different setups. I can definitely see where that may be an advantage. But if the fight does go outdoors for some reason, that would again swing things in favor of the carbine.....

And that brings me to this:

I think it's evident by this thread's progression that there's definitely many ways to skin this cat. :)

In all my PCC set-ups I have a pistol back-up using a common/shared magazine. It's been my experince the PCC does give one some more power & therefore range (~25-30 yds?) but I find the I shoot the PCC much better and faster.

Plus although shouldered not all PCC configurations are too bulky for indoor work.

The past thread with the video & the FBI info posted here clearly shows that modern interior wall construction doesn't provide any realistic cover from projectiles from any firearm, so one must be aware of that and how to enhance it to provide more real ballistic cover.

My .02

Plus although shouldered not all PCC configurations are too bulky for indoor work.

Definitely agreed.

I wasn't suggesting that the PCC would be too bulky for indoor work - I am actually among those who believe that this type of awkwardness is obviated with training and technique: that even the typical 18.5" shotgun can be reasonably managed in most American domiciles.

I was more thinking along the lines of the PCC and the SBR/"pistol" AR (and other carbines like it) being near-equivalents in terms of indoor handling. :)

Have you seen the TS12 by IWI?

I've heard of it.

Since I don't carry my Glocks as primary anymore I've repurposed my G21 & G20 each into the CAA MCK chassis system. Big improvement in useability for me.

Would like to do another in 9mm but my G19 is a Gen 2 and won;t work in the chassis. I would need a Gen 3-5. Not real interested in buying another Glock 19 unless I find a killer deal that would allow me to go the chassis route with my Gen 2 as a companion handgun.

Back