testtest

Red Dot Sight Assistance

SMSgtRod

Professional
Founding Member
I know the answer is in many heads out there. My immediate problem is it isn't in mine.
New to using this sight and have recently dragged it out of moth balls and installed it on my
300 Black Out.....
Sighting it in to get it squared away at 15 it was dead center so I pushed the target out to 21 feet.
Now it is shooting 3 to 4 inches high!!!!!!!
So is it the sight or me? I was sure I was holding the same position, but one never knows.....
Here is the sight.... $25
Pinty.JPG

Curious as to whether I would do better with something like this Sig unit....

Sig compact red sight.JPG

What you think folks? Can you help me out?

You would do a lot better with the Sig Romeo 5. A golden rule you get what you pay for . I have three Romeo 5 red dots and The Romeo 7 . I bought a new Saint 300 Black out Pistol put the Romeo 5 on it , set the target out to 15 yards zeroed it in in 3 shoots , Put the target to 25 yards and 2 shoots dead on . The Romeo 7 is on my Sig Tread 5.56 zeroed out to 300 yards . I have a Romeo 5 on my CZ Evo Scorpion And on my Kel Tec KSG bull pup 12 gauge thats is also set to 25 yards ... Great bang for the buck ....Just my opinion. It works great for me . Just thought I would share..

Hmmm, I know this goes without saying. Are the mount screws tight? I know the answer reading your posts :)

I don't know the ballistics for .300 blackout, but is the bullet rising at that range? Close in zero is good and then at further range the bullet is high. What is the recommended zero? Most people zero an AR at 50 yards or 100.

Based on your post, it sounds like it is consistently high at that range, makes me think it isn't an optic issue.

Hmmm, I know this goes without saying. Are the mount screws tight? I know the answer reading your posts :)

I don't know the ballistics for .300 blackout, but is the bullet rising at that range? Close in zero is good and then at further range the bullet is high. What is the recommended zero? Most people zero an AR at 50 yards or 100.

Based on your post, it sounds like it is consistently high at that range, makes me think it isn't an optic issue.
This is an AR pistol..... 7" barrel..... best I can get at the indoor range is about 25 yards.....
Yes, all is tight..... when I get the sight zeroed it will hold at that distance all day. I'm thinking may be that I'm not consistent with the eye/cheek position.... but just guessing at that too. Iron sights I don't have that issue.

It could be any combination of things. The red dot size doesn't change as the target it further so it covers more of the target. This makes it harder to hold center.

It's in the arch, because a scope or dot has 2 centers. Zeroed and depending on the distance contact going up or down. The trajectory of it as you will, but 3-4" at that short of a distance seems odd! I have a similar optic that the reticle shifts when you move the lever left and/or right, but that wont change elevation! Are you using the same reticle?

With an AR in 5.56 if you zero at 50 yards you have roughly 4 inches of movement over 250 yards. At 50 you will hit dead center, but the the bullet trajectory is still moving upwards. So at 100 yards you will hit approximately 2 inches high, then as you approach 250 the bullet will hit approximately 2 inches low.

The closer you zero your weapon the more exaggerated the movement becomes. When you zero at such a close range you are also having to overcome the holdover, which makes the numbers that much more severe.

With an AR in 5.56 if you zero at 50 yards you have roughly 4 inches of movement over 250 yards. At 50 you will hit dead center, but the the bullet trajectory is still moving upwards. So at 100 yards you will hit approximately 2 inches high, then as you approach 250 the bullet will hit approximately 2 inches low.

The closer you zero your weapon the more exaggerated the movement becomes. When you zero at such a close range you are also having to overcome the holdover, which makes the numbers that much more severe.
My brother had the same issue. The easiest way to overcome it without sending rounds down range is to remove the upper and find a fixed object at 100 yards (50 if you are not going to push it that far out), get a stable platform to rest on, sight the object through the bore, and align the sight to it. It's not perfect but will get you real close for the final tune at the range. My neighbor's mailbox works great for me 😜

My brother had the same issue. The easiest way to overcome it without sending rounds down range is to remove the upper and find a fixed object at 100 yards (50 if you are not going to push it that far out), get a stable platform to rest on, sight the object through the bore, and align the sight to it. It's not perfect but will get you real close for the final tune at the range. My neighbor's mailbox works great for me 😜
This works great with bolt action as well, just remove the bolt, and repeat the same process as above. I can usually zero in with three to four rounds. Poor man's bore sight.

With a 7" barrel I'm not going to be using this for 100 yard range. I'm looking more for here in the house moving from room to room clearing. Want something that will give a lighted indicated as iron sights don't work too good in the dark.
I just don't understand the 4" rise in a change from 15 feet to 21 feet. 4" in six feet means something is really wrong. Me or the sight and at $25 I'm suspicious of the sight, but as I'm no expert in using it, maybe it's me.
I can't see throwing $800 at a sight for this pistol, but $100 would be ok if it's going to make things right.

This is an AR pistol..... 7" barrel..... best I can get at the indoor range is about 25 yards.....
Yes, all is tight..... when I get the sight zeroed it will hold at that distance all day. I'm thinking may be that I'm not consistent with the eye/cheek position.... but just guessing at that too. Iron sights I don't have that issue.
I have the same sight of at least one very similar (I can't check it because I'm not at home) I have it mounted on a PCC and zeroed at 25 yards and had no problems. My guess it's your eye and cheek placement, another quick trip to the range can rule that out. If you decide to replace the sight you might consider AT3 Tactical, I have one mounted on my Saint pistol and really like it.

It can definitely be the sight. Just remember a zero that close with a rifle will lead to some issues that don't happen with a pistol.

Most people zero at 50 yards and then learn their holdovers for closer ranges.

I have the same sight of at least one very similar (I can't check it because I'm not at home) I have it mounted on a PCC and zeroed at 25 yards and had no problems. My guess it's your eye and cheek placement, another quick trip to the range can rule that out. If you decide to replace the sight you might consider AT3 Tactical, I have one mounted on my Saint pistol and really like it.

Would this configuration sight have more of a tendency to have some fudge factor on eye/cheek placement?
I'm looking to have a sight that allows for a quick acquire of the target. Suitable for 18 to 50 feet, and work in the dark as well as daylight. Is the eye/cheek going to be super critical no matter what I do?

Back