testtest

reloading questions/advice if you would please?

They publish what they used for particular loads, but if you substitute a different case or primer, it matters little if you stick with lower loads. You can always load up and you said you wanted low powered range loads. Don't worry. Some brass walls are thicker and some primers have more or less energy, but again, if you are sticking with lower powered loads. don't worry.
yes, true indeed, that i'd like to "stick to" the lower end of the charging scale, for "plinking" only.

i wasn't sure however, if i should have even asked a question about any particular casings to be used, my first thoughts, were that Speer/Federal were owned by the same company and they were using **"synergy" to promote brands with-in the same house.

Old_Me said: "yes too,....... too much info to print, but then again, each book has like a gazillion pages on the history of the people behind the company, the authors, and thier dogs, cats, etc,etc.....too much "wasted info" as i can see, (i could care less thier life's story, get to the dang point.....), when those pages could have been put to better usage publishing the powders, instead of deleting many."

Well, you and me as buyers and prospective customers for other products are a 'captive audience' when we're using these manuals so powder manufacturers, case manufacturers, etc, all use any opportunity available to 'spread their fame' so to speak. While they're spending many thousands of dollars on publishing books/manuals, they can add "their life story" and/or their additional products for very little additional capital outlay.
yeah i know, they get an advanced payment to write a book, and have to (i'd imagine) meet a certain criteria of pages to fill that book. to me, it would have been time/money, better spent for actual/factual information, rather than what underwear he wears on Fridays, and whether or not his hunting dog prefers Purina Dog Chow , or Walmart Deluxe.

it's useless pages like that crap, that remind me of an outhouse, back in the cowboy days, and a Sears & Roebuck catalog's pages, to be used as toilet paper....

for those that wanted to know what "synergy" means

What does work in synergy mean?

the combined power of a group of things when they are working together that is greater than the total power achieved by each working separately: Team work at its best results in a synergy that can be very productive.

When I buy new brass, I buy Starline. I have a crapload of brass I bought used, some at shoots where it was auctioned. I keep reloading it until it splits and toss with no regret. With mild loads, they last a long, long time.

When I buy new brass, I buy Starline. I have a crapload of brass I bought used, some at shoots where it was auctioned. I keep reloading it until it splits and toss with no regret. With mild loads, they last a long, long time.
i just checked both 45 ACP and 9mm Luger, both back ordered.

i "generally" save my brass which is S&B, Winchester, Federal (small primer, i don't have any LPP Federal), as these are the brands of new ammo that i have been buying.

i had thought about new brass, when i first entertained getting into reloading, just never followed it up.

once primers become more readily available, i very well might buy new brass, to supplement my first fired ones.

well, my Federal LPP's have just arrived, via UPS, from MidwayUSA. that @shanneba posted about being available last week.

now i am waiting on Dillon to ship out the conversion kit for the Colt 45. the Lee dies arrived last week from Midway as well.

ain't gonna actually reload the Colt yet, maybe a few rounds of .45 ACP LPP, using the Lee press, just have to switch out the SPP that's in there now.

i also went to the bait/tackle shop and put in an order for Colt 45 200 gr swc lead bullets.

this way, i want to stock up now, and get busy come the cooler days of fall and winter.

also, i want to avoid any possible new state law(s) that might have been hidden into the recently passed laws, that now limit our magazine capacity to 10 rounds (and NO grandfathering in of our current mags).

also i heard a rumor, such as no online purchases, or special taxes on ammo, components, or showing my ID to buy these things locally.

gonna try and get more powder, like 231 as well. the LGS HAD 231, i should have grabbed it when i saw it, now the shelf is bare, but others are available.

i want a "can do powder", for 9mm, 45 ACP, and 45 Colt for now...

38 special maybe as well.

i do not want several different powders.

With your reloading books, you can look through them and note which powders are used for the rounds you want to reload. For a given bullet and caliber, you may find 30 powders represented. Some powders may disappear at heavier bullet weights but may be listed at lower bullet weights. Richard Lee has some interesting insights on powders and what he considers suitable. I have used maybe 10 powders for my use. I do try to use popular ones that are stocked anywhere. They may run out, but eventually those will come back. I also look to see what others use and report online. This is where you may find comments about shooting dirty or other subjective/objective perceptions.

With your reloading books, you can look through them and note which powders are used for the rounds you want to reload. For a given bullet and caliber, you may find 30 powders represented. Some powders may disappear at heavier bullet weights but may be listed at lower bullet weights. Richard Lee has some interesting insights on powders and what he considers suitable. I have used maybe 10 powders for my use. I do try to use popular ones that are stocked anywhere. They may run out, but eventually those will come back. I also look to see what others use and report online. This is where you may find comments about shooting dirty or other subjective/objective perceptions.
yeah, i went thru all my books, and see where for the Colt 45, one powder that i'd want to buy, isn't listed.

Looking at your calibers, 9mm, 38 special, 45 ACP and 45 Colt, Hodgdon TiteGroup or vihtavuori N320 might work for all depending on the bullet type/weight you plan to use.

Hodgdon and Brownell's have Titegroup in stock currently.
Hodgdon also has Win 231 in stock.

Vihtavuori Handgun load data

Last edited:
Looking at your calibers, 9mm, 38 special, 45 ACP and 45 Colt, Hodgdon TiteGroup or vihtavuori N320 might work for all depending on the bullet type/weight you plan to use.

Hodgdon and Brownell's have Titegroup in stock currently.
Hodgdon also has Win 231 in stock.

Vihtavuori Handgun load data
230 gr, 45 ACP... RN lead

200 gr Colt 45... SWC lead

124/115 gr 9mm... RN lead

38 special..??? i dunno yet (right now, i have a lot of factory new)

all will be kept at the "staring charge" per either book i use. (all reloads as well as all factory are used for "plinking"

right now, i still have like 1.75 pounds of Bullseye, i would like to use up.

for self defense, i have factory new Federal HST 9mm and 45 ACP.

i will check my book(s) again, i do see where 231 is used, but i cannot recall the other brand just yet.

Speer book...45 Colt 200 gr, Bullseye

Lyman book....231 or tite group

Hornady....Bullseye

Lee...no listing for Colt 45

so, i might get a pound of 231 at the very least.

Lee 2nd Ed:
28 powders listed for 230 gr. .45 acp lead: Titegroup, Red Dot, Green Dot, Unique, 231, & Clays are of those.
19 powders listed for 200 gr. .45 Colt lead: Titegroup, Red Dot, Green Dot, Unique, 231, Clays and Bullseye are of those.
21 powders listed for 115 gr. 9 mm lead: Titegroup, 231 & Clays are of those.
15 powders listed for 125 gr. lead .38 Special: Titegroup, 231 & Clays are of those.
231 and Titegroup are in stock at Brownells and about $32/lb. Available in 4 and 8 lb. jugs.

Lee 2nd Ed:
28 powders listed for 230 gr. .45 acp lead: Titegroup, Red Dot, Green Dot, Unique, 231, & Clays are of those.
19 powders listed for 200 gr. .45 Colt lead: Titegroup, Red Dot, Green Dot, Unique, 231, Clays and Bullseye are of those.
15 powders listed for 125 gr. lead .38 Special: Titegroup, 231 & Clays are of those.
231 and Titegroup are in stock at Brownells and about $32/lb. Available in 4 and 8 lb. jugs.
yeah thanks on the Brownells having 231, but i don't want to pay for hazmat shipping, on top of regular shipping charges. i'll wait for the LGS to have on the shelf again.

Lee 2nd Ed:
ok, i found Colt 45 listings...i know what happened too. i was at the 45 ACP, Gap, Win Magnum, but then the book goes to 454 casull, 460 S&W, and i'm like, WTH, they don't have Colt 45? so i didn't look any further...

why they just didn't continue with 45's, in order, i dunno.

anyway's as i am "seeing it" Bullseye is listed on all my current calibers. as far as the 38 special...maybe titegroup will do.

so not much outlay of cash for many different powders.

well, this was funny.

i was going to call Dillon this morning. reason being, back in June on the 26th, i had ordered a conversion kit for 45 Colt LC.

there wasn't any email to me, telling me of a shipping date, and yes, the conversion kit was in stock.

the website would only show, "processing". (still does, i just checked now)

well the goofball mailman tried to shove the package thru the mail slot, even though ON the package, it clearly states.."Deliver to rear door".

anyway's, i got all my conversion kits, for the calibers that i shoot, in fact, earlier this morning, i picked up my order of 45 Colt LC SWC lead bullets, at the bait store.......$40. for 500 count.

so a "pleasant surprise" that the kit came in.

i think i'm "all set" to start cranking out reloads, come the cooler weather

saturday, i put my order in for 500, RN lead 158 grain .38 special bullets, at the bait/tackle store.

i ain't in no hurry i told the manager, when they can be done, fine. the old man that owned the store, gets' "restless" and WANTS work to do...lol...

he cannot wait to get those wax sealed, lubed and packed....lol

86 years old if i recall.......

i know the "restless" feelings...

still searching for LPP's

got some now, just like anyone else, i want MORE..MORE...MORE......

bahwahaha

saturday, i put my order in for 500, RN lead 158 grain .38 special bullets, at the bait/tackle store.

i ain't in no hurry i told the manager, when they can be done, fine. the old man that owned the store, gets' "restless" and WANTS work to do...lol...

bahwahaha
I'll check some other places

bahwahaha
sportsman's outdoor superstore has them in stock @ 20+ cents/per if you dare!

I'm about to order from Missouri Bullet Company. They have lead 158 gr. bullets for 8 cents and coated 158 for 9 cents each per box of 500. I'm going to spring for coated bullets which prevent leading and do not have lube which gums up loading dies. For .32, I'll get 100 gr., for .38, I'll get 125 gr., for .45, I'll get 185 gr. I'll need to see what I have loaded and go from there. Most mail order suppliers use the "if it fits, it ships boxes."

I'm about to order from Missouri Bullet Company. They have lead 158 gr. bullets for 8 cents and coated 158 for 9 cents each per box of 500. I'm going to spring for coated bullets which prevent leading and do not have lube which gums up loading dies. For .32, I'll get 100 gr., for .38, I'll get 125 gr., for .45, I'll get 185 gr. I'll need to see what I have loaded and go from there. Most mail order suppliers use the "if it fits, it ships boxes."
Can you mix n match the calibers to reach that 500?

i have been paying $45 for a box of cast lead at the bait/tackle shop. (so about what you pay, but no shipping, in fact, no taxes either.

not if, but when i have problems with my dies gumming up, i will clean them, then decide from how long that took to happen, then go from there as to whether or not to spring for a different bullet.

so far, i have 9mm, 45 ACP, 45 colt lc, and picking up 38 special in a day or 2.

Back