testtest

Review: XD-M 9mm 35-Round Extended Magazine

I like pistol designed for higher-capacity mags, and the 22-round mag was one of the reasons I bought my XD-M Elite. As much as I like additional capacity, I've never been a fan of mags that are significantly longer than the grip of the pistol they were designed for. I own a few extended Glock magazines, but I purchased those strictly for pistol caliber carbines.

I always like for manufactures to release lots of optional accessories for their guns. I have nothing against these mags, but I don't personally have a need for them. I'll definitely pick up a few of these if Springfield releases a new PCC. Until then, my 22-rounders are the largest mags I'll be running in any of my pistols.

Is there an over-insertion stop on this extended magazine?

If so, how does it accommodate the differences in grip frame length (due to the magwell extension) between the standard XDm and the newer Elites?

Good question TSi, am not seeing or reading about one in SA's description. But, black on black can be hard seeing too.
They are Teflon coated steel with polymer base pad though.

Is there an over-insertion stop on this extended magazine?

If so, how does it accommodate the differences in grip frame length (due to the magwell extension) between the standard XDm and the newer Elites?

No, but from experience using Beretta mags back during the Assault Weapons Ban, you can break an ejector if you slam it home with the slide open. Slide closed the slide stops it. I broke one during a USPSA match and just kept going. Brass kept falling onto my arm and hand. It was Hot……Damn Hot!

No, but from experience using Beretta mags back during the Assault Weapons Ban, you can break an ejector if you slam it home with the slide open. Slide closed the slide stops it. I broke one during a USPSA match and just kept going. Brass kept falling onto my arm and hand. It was Hot……Damn Hot!

Simple fix if no magstop?
Possibly using electrical tape, is heat resistant, carefully wound around several times to build up height on mag should act or help as a magstop?

Yeah, that's my worry indeed - I haven't had it happen to any of my XDms (for my compacts, for example, I've always used factory X-Tensions), but I know it can, from other's posts of their experiences on XD Talk and similar Forums.

On the one hand, it's unlikely that a single instance would cause ejector damage or failure, but then again, when we're already talking odds of n of 1, as the late Paul Gomez used to like to say about the likelihood of having to resort to our defensive handgun, CONUS, those increasingly unlikely odds also perversely make their appeal heard by the God of Murphy. :p

Simple fix if no magstop?
Possibly using electrical tape, is heat resistant, carefully wound around several times to build up height on mag should act or help as a magstop?

I think that's definitely possible to rig it as-such, but I figure that being an OE magazine, SA would have done something more elegant. :)

Yeah, that's my worry indeed - I haven't had it happen to any of my XDms (for my compacts, for example, I've always used factory X-Tensions), but I know it can, from other's posts of their experiences on XD Talk and similar Forums.

On the one hand, it's unlikely that a single instance would cause ejector damage or failure, but then again, when we're already talking odds of n of 1, as the late Paul Gomez used to like to say about the likelihood of having to resort to our defensive handgun, CONUS, those increasingly unlikely odds also perversely make their appeal heard by the God of Murphy. :p

I think that's definitely possible to rig it as-such, but I figure that being an OE magazine, SA would have done something more elegant. :)

SA very likely did install a magstop system. Simple dimples can help a lot, but can be hard seeing or telling if there's any in pics or from description given. Electrical tape is usually a quick fix in that application to possibly make something more usable.

Cool to have as an option at the range. Maybe for home defense, although I feel it could also get in the way. Certainly not a magazine I would ever want to carry with me, even as a spare.

Grip length is a moot factor.

The removeable magwell on the Elites is a moot factor.

Back