testtest

Ruger Vaquero S/A 45

Love old western movies.

Just not a fan of the super curved grips on old cowboy guns. Too sharp of a curve for me.
I like the more modern subtle curve
it's sorta like a Harley-Davidson....

if it has to be explained, no one would get it.

or, maybe you just ain't as old as me, and seen just about every western like 45,998,342,990,223,485 times, and have that intimate feelings of the old west original style of hand guns, and rifles.......and cowboy heros, and strawberry Yahoo....????

You got a nice gun at a nice price. Cowboy shooters are selling them around $800-900 and up. Not easy to find currently which may be why prices have been going up. It will handle normal loads just fine. My first cowboy gun was a Bisley Vaquero in .44 mag. That grip helps with stout recoil. All my Rugers now are in .357 and .32.
For a nice plinking load, I've been using 185 gr. bullets.

You got a nice gun at a nice price. Cowboy shooters are selling them around $800-900 and up. Not easy to find currently which may be why prices have been going up. It will handle normal loads just fine. My first cowboy gun was a Bisley Vaquero in .44 mag. That grip helps with stout recoil. All my Rugers now are in .357 and .32.
For a nice plinking load, I've been using 185 gr. bullets.
yeah, if the supplies of new 45 Colt Long, are in short shelf stocking, , well, i do have my Dillon now, extra tool heads, all i need to buy will be the conversion kits from Dillon and a set of Lee dies....

i can get lead bullets from the store i get my reloads from

but no time to worry about ammo just yet.

i got rosewood smooth stocks coming from Ruger.

it's sorta like a Harley-Davidson....

if it has to be explained, no one would get it.

or, maybe you just ain't as old as me, and seen just about every western like 45,998,342,990,223,485 times, and have that intimate feelings of the old west original style of hand guns, and rifles.......and cowboy heros, and strawberry Yahoo....????

like for me, a "Henry rifle" would be my "must get" rifle, over any semi-auto matic.....

the wooden stocks, the polished brass, the clicking of the whatchamacall it when you load them after each shot....

i think i need a cigarette now..........
Exactly! Cant believe you havent watched westerns any more than that. LOL Two of my favorites are Winchester 73 and Valdez Is Coming. Lever action rifles and classic style revolvers have been and always will be favorites of mine not just cause I grew up watching westerns but because of the history of them. Thank goodness for SASS.

well, guys and gals.....i went to my LGS and asked if they any
1656083420866.png
and they did........ the ammo that is

50 round box, and yup, it ain't cheap...

$50.00 per box....(Remington 225 gr, lead, semi wad cutters, brass case)

so i got 2 boxes.

hey, i ain't about to buy a gun, and not have ammo....

gonna field strip it (it is VERY clean now), and go over it again with a patch or 2, and give it a light lubing, using that FP 10

get it ready for hopefully a trip to the range on monday.

by the way, the guy at the bait store where i get my reloads, says when they have 45 Colt long, reloads, it is $35.00 per box....

gonna ask them about the cost of about 500 lead bullets.

Hey old me like this
yes, to me, the old classics will never fade away into the sunset.

there are just as many (if not more) people that love the old style, function, fit, and "class" of weapons, then there are those that are only into the newest, fastest, multifunctional weapons.

i'd rather have a lever action rifle, over a "swiss army multifunctional tool" like a semi-automatic.

yes, to me, the old classics will never fade away into the sunset.

there are just as many (if not more) people that love the old style, function, fit, and "class" of weapons, then there are those that are only into the newest, fastest, multifunctional weapons.

i'd rather have a lever action rifle, over a "swiss army multifunctional tool" like a semi-automatic.
Me too I have always been into that guess it was the time We were born, I've been lucky and been able to go on hunts and some trips into the mountains been a life time ago but still have the memories and someone the equipment

.45 cast bullets are about $55/500 depending on company and whether coated or not. My mailbox hasn't recovered yet from the last if it fits it ships order. :rolleyes:
yeah, i gotta check with the reloader. i got 500 lead cast .45 ACP RN, for if i recall $45.00

he makes a good product, and if i can, i'd like to support a local business. plus, many times, i get something for free, like a box of (LOL) 24 earthworms for my garden, once he knew why i wanted them, rather than for fishing bait.....lol.

sometimes reduced prices on small items as well. kinda like "one hand washes the other"

ok, i took the Vaquero to the range, and out of a box of 50 Colt 45 lc, i only shot 24 rounds.

i just needed to get familiar with the "new" gun.

it shoots INCREDIBLY WELL.

there is as much (if any) recoil, as any of my 1911's, meaning for me and my old hands, really "smooth"

i did not take any pics, cuz even though i hit the targets ( i shot at 4 separate targets) i was not grouping well. but i attribute that to the different sights on this type of gun. it'll take more practice, and that'll happen over time.

i have an update to my SA-35, that'll be in that thread..

and a visit from an ATF agent at the LGS.....!!!

i went to the range for the 2nd time in as many days.

after my range time, i went to the display case.

in it was the Ruger 5" barrel, GP 100, for sale, that the guy i bought the Vaquero from still has on consignment.

he wants $700........uh....no way...

minutes later, i went to the LGS where i buy like 90% of my guns.

in thier display case, they have a NEW Ruger GP 100 in a 6" barrel, my prefered barrel, to match all my other revolvers (except the Ruger GP 100 2.5")

list pricing is like $1029.

the LGS wants $840 + tax of course.

so i gotta come up with a cash offer, of well below his asking of $700, otherwise, why buy a used 5" barrel, when i would rather have the 6"..?? for like $140 more..???

see what i'm saying..??

i dunno, is a low ball offer of $550 reasonable, considering he's had it for sale for 1 month now, and it ain't moving..???

worse he can say is no, and how much he's itching to be rid of it.........

opinions..???

keep it clean, i got virginal ears at my age.........

it's my eyes, that have seen way too much..........

thanks in advance

i went to the range for the 2nd time in as many days.

after my range time, i went to the display case.

in it was the Ruger 5" barrel, GP 100, for sale, that the guy i bought the Vaquero from still has on consignment.

he wants $700........uh....no way...

minutes later, i went to the LGS where i buy like 90% of my guns.

in thier display case, they have a NEW Ruger GP 100 in a 6" barrel, my prefered barrel, to match all my other revolvers (except the Ruger GP 100 2.5")

list pricing is like $1029.

the LGS wants $840 + tax of course.

so i gotta come up with a cash offer, of well below his asking of $700, otherwise, why buy a used 5" barrel, when i would rather have the 6"..?? for like $140 more..???

see what i'm saying..??

i dunno, is a low ball offer of $550 reasonable, considering he's had it for sale for 1 month now, and it ain't moving..???

worse he can say is no, and how much he's itching to be rid of it.........

opinions..???

keep it clean, i got virginal ears at my age.........

it's my eyes, that have seen way too much..........

thanks in advance
Yea, little high, but he probably knows that some guns right now are hard to find, so he asking a premium, I might go as high as 575.00-600.00 myself

Yea, little high, but he probably knows that some guns right now are hard to find, so he asking a premium, I might go as high as 575.00-600.00 myself
yeah, the 5" and 6" GP 100 is at the LGS more so, then a Vaquero is.

so (to me) the GP 100's are not rare.

i will think this over, then make some sort of decision next week.

This is a Super Blackhawk in .44mag. It came to me in used condition. I changed out the grips in order to have more area to grab on to. It is about 25 years old and has made many trips through the woods during past hunting seasons. I can also shoot .44 Specials through it as well. It's a horse to shoot.

Ruger New Model Super Blackhawk.JPG

you guys with the really "old stuff" are lucky, and i envy your collections of ANY handgun or rifle, be they double action or single action revolvers, or semi-automatics. even of course those of you that have a collection of rifles.

you're lucky that you had grand parents or parents that had those, and passed them on down, and your lucky that at an earlier age then me starting, you got into buying some at estate sales or gun shows.

one of the guys at the range, his grandad handed down to him, his 1911 (i cannot recall how old it is), but he keeps it in his safe, as he doesn't want to shoot it. i cannot say i blame him.

keep posting some of your "old stuff", it's a pleasure for me to drool over the pics....

that way too, when the wife see's me drooling over the old guns, she'll feel safe that i ain't drooling over her.......and she can go to her Bingo games......not having to "put out" for me........

Back