testtest

Run on Ammo

xdman

Self appointed Chief Armorer
Staff member
Lake City has canceled all civilian sales again. (I could not find an independent source, but why would Clay lie)
IMG_1039.jpeg

And there was an explosion at the Hornady plant.

I spent the afternoon watching a couple distributors and last week RSR had thousands of cases of cheaper ammo. They were sold this afternoon. Now the cheapest 223/556 in stock is 17 plus dollars per 20rnds thats dealer price.

I was going to post something about this today. The manager at my range/gun shop said that his suppliers are already out of 5.56 and that Lake City shut down civilian production. I had notice 5.56 becoming scarce the last week or so and choices were limited. His suppliers think it may be worse than the pandemic. I ordered a bunch yesterday. Hopefully they can fill the order.
I didn’t see that about the explosion. It is terrible that a person was killed.
Here we go again.

One more thing… my LGS did one week’s worth of gun sales in one day on Wednesday. So, my guess is we may see an increase in gun prices soon.
that might help me out a bit...i wanted to sell my Ruger SR 1911, but the LGS offered me far less than i had hoped for.

(was looking at getting $650, he offered $400 he pays 65% of his retail pricing, not MSRP)

salesman said "you still wanna sell it, or wait to see what happens in Israel"..??

i said, "i'll wait another week or two".

Still plenty of supply at the big names (Palmetto, etc...) for now. What's interesting is the M855 ammo is now more expensive than the M193 at several of these places, that's telling what people are stashing for.
M855 is always more expensive than 193.

I have noticed several vendors are selling ( or trying to sell) M855 for close to a buck a round. When I just bought 1000 for around $400 a month ago.

M855 is always more expensive than 193.

I have noticed several vendors are selling ( or trying to sell) M855 for close to a buck a round. When I just bought 1000 for around $400 a month ago.
Not in my experience, by at least $0.10/round in the last 2-3 years in the places I buy from. I bought quite a bunch at $0.35-$0.4 per round, PMC, Winchester and Norma... $1/round is nuts, it's 308 prices (which is nuts in its own right!)

Glad I ordered another case of Norma 556 this past Wednesday, purely on a whim (don't really need it, but pricing the last few weeks has been the lowest in a few years and I thought it's a good time to stock up). BTW, M855 has always been more expensive the M193 everywhere I shop...

I was going to post about this last night after reading several articles, but thought I would wait a day. I guess I better get some 9 mm and .45 bullets before they go up.
i just (finally) got my 2,000 LRN 9mm from Missouri Bullets, last week.

still have maybe 1,000 45 ACP, LRN on hand.

38 specials, 45 Colt lc in stock as well.

primers, 15 pounds powder on hand as well.

I wouldn't panic. It's been rumored for at least a year that the government was going to stop Lake City from dumping over run 5.56 on the civilian market. Supposedly 30% of the civilian market for 5.56 comes from Lake City. If that's what happened, and it appears it is, it will have short term effects on Lake City ammo. Guess what though, Federal used to run Lake City. They know exactly how to produce 5.56. People other than Lake City make 70% of the civilian supply. Someone else will fill that 30%. The problem is going to be the same it always is. People on the internet gnashing their teeth and starting wild rumors which results in panic buying and ammo scalpers selling their stocks at huge profits. If you have enough to last you a year you'll be just fine.

I have loaded at least 2k .32, .38 and .45 besides 20 lbs. powder, 12k primers, and maybe 8k .45 acp bullets. If this goes on much longer, we'll need at least 2 years supply to tide us over.
This is pretty much only going to effect 5.56. Other than the panic buying by stupid people. The vast majority of handgun ammunition does NOT come from Lake City. Or even Hornady.

Back