testtest

Run on Ammo

that might help me out a bit...i wanted to sell my Ruger SR 1911, but the LGS offered me far less than i had hoped for.

(was looking at getting $650, he offered $400 he pays 65% of his retail pricing, not MSRP)

salesman said "you still wanna sell it, or wait to see what happens in Israel"..??

i said, "i'll wait another week or two".

Gun stores routinely offer only 60% of what it’s either (in most cases) they say it’s to cover overhead costs etc. but working inside a shop for a couple years after retirement that’s sort of an industry scam.

Some smaller shops might do you better but I have told several folks (to my owners agitation) they might want to sell it outright.

As far as the Lake City I’d presume it’s a temp thing as they probably dipped into our stockpiles (or couldn’t keep our stockpiles up) with that whole Ukraine wealth transfer thing going on. Of course the Isreal activities will also play into it.

I’m sure it’s a temp PITA thing (hopefully I’m right)

We shall see

Gun stores routinely offer only 60% of what it’s either (in most cases) they say it’s to cover overhead costs etc. but working inside a shop for a couple years after retirement that’s sort of an industry scam.

Some smaller shops might do you better but I have told several folks (to my owners agitation) they might want to sell it outright.

As far as the Lake City I’d presume it’s a temp thing as they probably dipped into our stockpiles (or couldn’t keep our stockpiles up) with that whole Ukraine wealth transfer thing going on. Of course the Isreal activities will also play into it.

We shall see
i dunno, i cannot discount what you say, being an "insider", my particular guns store pays at 65% of his selling prices, not MSRP as i mentioned.

his sales display case of "used guns" seems to be just slightly what he buys them for, and under his retail prices.

what i had also noticed too, the most popular guns, like 9mm, goes for higher prices all the time, over 1911's, especially in 45 ACP.

this is how i came to obtain quite a few 1911's from them, during the pandemic...everyone wanted 9mm's, and the 45's just sat there, and for many times, lower pricing than the 9's......the hottest guns to sell at above MSRP..??

the Sig 365

i dunno, i cannot discount what you say, being an "insider", my particular guns store pays at 65% of his selling prices, not MSRP as i mentioned.

his sales display case of "used guns" seems to be just slightly what he buys them for, and under his retail prices.

what i had also noticed too, the most popular guns, like 9mm, goes for higher prices all the time, over 1911's, especially in 45 ACP.

this is how i came to obtain quite a few 1911's from them, during the pandemic...everyone wanted 9mm's, and the 45's just sat there, and for many times, lower pricing than the 9's......the hottest guns to sell at above MSRP..??

the Sig 365

We had brisk sales on everything during the pandemic. We were always kept I. Decent inventory of Glocks (a friend that works for Glock said they pulled all the road trainers to the factory to help production since they cancelled classes)
Sigs were decent and we have a guy that has contacts at Colt and we have always had a great selections of Colts and it dipped slightly as did Ruger and Taurus

Most other brands dried up but EVERYTHING in every caliber went quick. Especially if we put it on the stores FB page. Like within a couple hours.

Then ammo deals we had dudes buying and putting it on a sale site within 10 minutes for triple

While I’m all for gun sales I hope we never see that craziness again

I wouldn't panic. It's been rumored for at least a year that the government was going to stop Lake City from dumping over run 5.56 on the civilian market. Supposedly 30% of the civilian market for 5.56 comes from Lake City. If that's what happened, and it appears it is, it will have short term effects on Lake City ammo. Guess what though, Federal used to run Lake City. They know exactly how to produce 5.56. People other than Lake City make 70% of the civilian supply. Someone else will fill that 30%. The problem is going to be the same it always is. People on the internet gnashing their teeth and starting wild rumors which results in panic buying and ammo scalpers selling their stocks at huge profits. If you have enough to last you a year you'll be just fine.
100% agree with you! Panic buy makes everything worse, I'm sure all of us here have several 1,000s of everything we need so I won't be buying anything that I don't need unless it's at an OK price.

Over 50% of my 5.56 is not allowed at the range any way, so it's only for "special occasions" ;)

100% agree with you! Panic buy makes everything worse, I'm sure all of us here have several 1,000s of everything we need so I won't be buying anything that I don't need unless it's at an OK price.

Over 50% of my 5.56 is not allowed at the range any way, so it's only for "special occasions" ;)

Yeah, the vast majority of the price gouging on ammo has always been because jag offs buy up all of it they can and resell it at a huge mark up. The fault really lies with the people that hear rumors, like this one, and then run out and buy up everything they can find.

When prices cooled back down after the last "Ammo scare" I started getting my house in better order. I won't be buying anything in any caliber that is marked up. I won't need to.

Yeah, the vast majority of the price gouging on ammo has always been because jag offs buy up all of it they can and resell it at a huge mark up. The fault really lies with the people that hear rumors, like this one, and then run out and buy up everything they can find.

When prices cooled back down after the last "Ammo scare" I started getting my house in better order. I won't be buying anything in any caliber that is marked up. I won't need to.

Some of those folks are eating their own BS. I have seen the same smaller guys at tables in a few gun shows I go to have the same ammo for the same high pandemic prices. They will loose money if they sell it for 30% over what we can get it for now. I’m all for free enterprise and capitalism but some of these cats were nothing but slimy used car salesmen but with Firearms accessories

Guess they should have quit while they were ahead!

We shall see
The mil aid to Ukraine is really a boost to the US military budget.

Ukraine is getting stuff at its expiration date and/or out-of-service, and the $$ calculated for the aid is being funneled back into new & improved gear/ordnance production for the US stocks.

Example: We sent 300 M113s to Ukraine and the assigned value is allowing for 150 AMPVs to be built for the US Army.

There's tons of similar examples.

That's how the system works.

BTW - if you don't have a stock of ammo then folks are vulnerable to these panic periods. No worries here.

Screenshot_20231014_184057_Samsung Internet.jpg

The mil aid to Ukraine is really a boost to the US military budget.

Ukraine is getting stuff at its expiration date and/or out-of-service, and the $$ calculated for the aid is being funneled back into new & improved gear/ordnance production for the US stocks.

Example: We sent 300 M113s to Ukraine and the assigned value is allowing for 150 AMPVs to be built for the US Army.

There's tons of similar examples.

That's how the system works.

BTW - if you don't have a stock of ammo then folks are vulnerable to these panic periods. No worries here.

I know things changes and what I’m gonna share was like 28 years ago. However I’m not so sure about expiration dates.

While we went through a lot in the last 20 years back in the mid 1990’s we had pallets of 5.56 for a go to war stuff of old 55 grain 5.56 which we were running the M16a2 by then in the Air Guard which did t work as well as the 62 grain (we had issues where the 55 wouldn’t stabilize causing elongated hold and erratic shot pattered when we shot our ammo we used til the 62 gr come in)

Now civilian agencies for those that care (at least most in the FEDs) have a 5 year lifespan on about everything except firearms LOL our ammo was marked with dates and if it wasn’t issued it became training. If it was issued we changed it for new every 90 days and that old issue ammo became training ammo.

Back