testtest

Saint Victor 556 Fit & Finish

Shawn_P

Alpha
Just recently bought a Saint Victor in 556. While doing a pre use inspection, noticed a gap between the upper and lower near where the buffer tube connects. Measured with a wire gage and the gap is 22 gauge or ~.025. This is my first AR15 so don’t know about the tolerances (I do have an AR 10 (308) and there are no gaps between the upper\lower).
Running the BCG forward from lock seems smooth, as well as running the charging handle to lock the bolt back. Is this gap a concern? Will this cause excessive wear? Break parts pre-maturely?
I did send an email to customer support but have heard nothing back, so asking the community for thoughts!

Just recently bought a Saint Victor in 556. While doing a pre use inspection, noticed a gap between the upper and lower near where the buffer tube connects. Measured with a wire gage and the gap is 22 gauge or ~.025. This is my first AR15 so don’t know about the tolerances (I do have an AR 10 (308) and there are no gaps between the upper\lower).
Running the BCG forward from lock seems smooth, as well as running the charging handle to lock the bolt back. Is this gap a concern? Will this cause excessive wear? Break parts pre-maturely?
I did send an email to customer support but have heard nothing back, so asking the community for thoughts!
Pic ?

I own a Victor 5.56 & .308 with a tons of use.

I dont think its an issue, but post a pic

Can you provide a picture for reference?
Best I can do with my iPhone…should have kept the wire gauge in the gun safe! Thanks for your interest

Attachments

• 7256085A-7A4A-401F-A4EA-3DBF0041FA89.jpeg
    7256085A-7A4A-401F-A4EA-3DBF0041FA89.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 114
  • F600BE40-16D1-4E39-A06D-C8E8C15A0C38.jpeg
    F600BE40-16D1-4E39-A06D-C8E8C15A0C38.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 107
I've seen AR-15's worse than your photo. Heck I don't even consider that bad. It looks very tight between the horizontal seem between the upper/lower, just a barely noticeable gap at the rear.

People argue about accuracy with loose fitting uppers and lowers, I don't think it makes enough of a difference for average or even good shooters. Everything affecting accuracy is in the upper, the buffer in the lower just pushes the BCG back into battery after the round has left the barrel. I think you're really arguing inconsistency of thousands of an inch between your hand and shoulder changing between shoots reducing the steadiness of the repeatability of the platform.

If you push the rear retaining pin, and look behind the trigger group, you will find a small screw. That screw is there to tighten any gap between the upper and lower. If tightened to much the take down pin will be hard to remove. So, approach it systematically!

RPerez

If you push the rear retaining pin, and look behind the trigger group, you will find a small screw. That screw is there to tighten any gap between the upper and lower. If tightened to much the take down pin will be hard to remove. So, approach it systematically!

RPerez
That is somewhat incorrect, the small Allen head screw is found after removing the pistol grip. It’s called the acu-tight adjustment screw that helps with the amount of play between the upper and lower, to eliminate a large amount of play you have to turn the screw to the right however keep in mind this will increase the gap between the upper and lower.

RPerez
Thank you for the reply…the gap is not horizontal but vertical near the buffer tube.
There is little wobble but the gap still bother me.
The biggest concern, probably unfounded, is there could be excessive wear or stress on the component.
Really disappointEd customer service has not replied to my email.
oh well going to shoot it tomorrow, will see how it rolls!

OBTW thank you to all that have responded on this thread!

Back