testtest

Scenario: Life Altering Choice

Don't know if it is still a law or not, maybe it's a state by state law!
You're probably thinking of "Good Samaritan" law, maybe?

I know if you have specific training, such as medical, and pass an accident (as an example), you could possibly be liable. The Good Samaritan law varies from state-to-state, as mentioned before. People have saved lives, and then afterwards been sued for one reason or another.

When guns don't apply then it's not good, unless for those with bad judgment! The first person shot someone, so the 2nd one shot the first and the 3rd didn't see what happened so in return shot the 2nd. All of this out of bad judgment!

There are too many variables here for a definitive answer. I don't think you can legally pull a gun on someone walking down the street toward a school with an exposed gun. I'm not positive I could convince people I felt my life was in jeopardy which is why I would call 911 and monitor the situation. If I thought the individual was going to enter the school or raised the gun toward the school and LE had not arrived, I would make another choice and get myself in position to prevent the individual from entering or firing at the school.

Nuke him from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure.

(Seriously: Call it in. The key phrase in the OP is “appears to be”; just engaging blindly leads to a kid bringing in a prop for a play, or a drill rifle for marching band...you also are now a guy with a gun that someone else is calling in, or engaging...in short, the odds of you making the situation worse far outweigh the odds of making it better.

We all think we'll be the hero when we run these engagements in our heads; we never want to consider how badly we can f*** it up worse...and it's crucial that we do.)

Nuke him from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure.

(Seriously: Call it in. The key phrase in the OP is “appears to be”; just engaging blindly leads to a kid bringing in a prop for a play, or a drill rifle for marching band...you also are now a guy with a gun that someone else is calling in, or engaging...in short, the odds of you making the situation worse far outweigh the odds of making it better.

We all think we'll be the hero when we run these engagements in our heads; we never want to consider how badly we can f*** it up worse...and it's crucial that we do.)
Great advice to a potential situation that could be misread and spiral out of control quickly by someone overreacting to what appears to be a threat and in the end was not.

You're driving by a school mid day and see a teenage kid walking towards the school with what appears to be a long gun in hand what do you do?
Teenager? Are we so sure? Depends on lighting, ect. 1st thing would do is observe how's suspected gun being carried? - Maliciously or safely? Cased or not? How is person proceeding? Slowly or rapidly? Calmly or irrationally? Clothing or dress? Uniformed, school attire, casual or dressed for mess? What else is there besides suspected rifle/long gun? Mags or ammo seen? Is guns barrel tagged? A simple phone call can easily make matter better or worse very rapidly. Be very sure of what are seeing and reporting before calling. Hate to see someone hurt unnecessarily for being too hasty in thoughts. If positive the person's a threat, safely observe and call 911. If threatened, protect yourself and others. Shooting in progress is another matter. Seconds count in both scenarios.

Teenager? Are we so sure? Depends on lighting, ect. 1st thing would do is observe how's suspected gun being carried? - Maliciously or safely? Cased or not? How is person proceeding? Slowly or rapidly? Calmly or irrationally? Clothing or dress? Uniformed, school attire, casual or dressed for mess? What else is there besides suspected rifle/long gun? Mags or ammo seen? Is guns barrel tagged? A simple phone call can easily make matter better or worse very rapidly. Be very sure of what are seeing and reporting before calling. Hate to see someone hurt unnecessarily for being too hasty in thoughts. If positive the person's a threat, safely observe and call 911. If threatened, protect yourself and others. Shooting in progress is another matter. Seconds count in both scenarios.

Awesome assessment to the question!

Back