testtest

Scenario: Life Altering Choice

I think a lot depends on what you have at the moment. Weapon in the vehicle-911 call while engaging, if you are positive they have a long gun in hand. No weapon available-call 911 while getting to the school before the shooter to get the building locked down. As an educator this scenario has played through my mind a few times.

I think a lot depends on what you have at the moment. Weapon in the vehicle-911 call while engaging, if you are positive they have a long gun in hand. No weapon available-call 911 while getting to the school before the shooter to get the building locked down. As an educator this scenario has played through my mind a few times.
Great answer!
I think the same way. You need to assess the situation and act accordingly.

I live within a block of a school and I get worried of my young son using his pellet rifle in the woods behind my house that someone may act out without making sure there is an actual threat.
"This is just a personal thought and is not meant to be part of the thread question".

Last edited:
I believe 911 is appropriate action until a threat is verified. They will in turn warn the school and fortunately around here we have faculty that train with local law enforcement. They discretely carry in the schools with visual and verbal cues to let their fellow officers (they are considered special deputies) distinguish them from others.

I'll do 911 and stick to him like glue. I have the phone number for the school I can alert them.
We all know you can't even have a finger gun on campus so with any kind of weapon, stepping
on campus grounds this guy needs to/must be be stopped. My job. Soon as sirens are close I have got to put
mine away lest I become a target.

What if it's a pellet gun or airsoft? It could be a real firearm but do you know for sure?
The question was if I was driving by a school and seen a teenager carrying wat appeared to be a long gun walking towards the school, what would I do?
That scenario needed to have further details as in how far away was the suspect from the school? Was he 50 yards away, 100 yards away? Was he crossing the street towards the school?
My response was as if I'm driving by the school and seen this, that the suspect was crossing the street towards the school. Close proximity with every inclination of making it to the school. In that scenario, yes I would engage the suspect.
My child has pellet guns as well, my response was not intended as a response for a block away in the backyard or the woods. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

The question was if I was driving by a school and seen a teenager carrying wat appeared to be a long gun walking towards the school, what would I do?
That scenario needed to have further details as in how far away was the suspect from the school? Was he 50 yards away, 100 yards away? Was he crossing the street towards the school?
My response was as if I'm driving by the school and seen this, that the suspect was crossing the street towards the school. Close proximity with every inclination of making it to the school. In that scenario, yes I would engage the suspect.
My child has pellet guns as well, my response was not intended as a response for a block away in the backyard or the woods. Sorry for the misunderstanding.
No prob I left the question open to interpretation intentionally.

I'll do 911 and stick to him like glue. I have the phone number for the school I can alert them.
We all know you can't even have a finger gun on campus so with any kind of weapon, stepping
on campus grounds this guy needs to/must be be stopped. My job. Soon as sirens are close I have got to put
mine away lest I become a target.
That‘s the issue I always worry about in an active shooting incident scenario like this. If I engage, will someone else with a gun or quick police response, think I’m the active shooter or an accomplice? With all the hectic excitement, adrenaline, & shouting, will I hear commands to drop the weapon? I agree, some sort of action (not necessarily shooting), would be required on my part aside from calling 911, I’m just worried on a bad outcome in a incident such as this that could unfold.

That‘s the issue I always worry about in an active shooting incident scenario like this. If I engage, will someone else with a gun or quick police response, think I’m the active shooter or an accomplice? With all the hectic excitement, adrenaline, & shouting, will I hear commands to drop the weapon? I agree, some sort of action (not necessarily shooting), would be required on my part aside from calling 911, I’m just worried on a bad outcome in a incident such as this that could unfold.
If only we could do like Hollywood has for years. All us good guys wear the white hats and all those bad guys
wear the black hats....

I would have to visually get more info of the situation. Is it really an actual weapon? How about his demeanor/physical attitude? Although my suspicions/curiosity/concern would be tweaked, around here any number of high schools maintain njrotc units as part of their elective courses. The majority of those units have drill rifles and/or competition air rifles. The young person in the scenario could be carrying/transporting the rifle from an instructor's/school vehicle back into the building after an off-campus competition or event. I say this as having been a jrotc instructor at the local high school for 16 years (ret'd 2012), and our drill team/air rifle teams handled the rifles on a weekly, sometimes daily basis. The drill rifles were demilitarized (barrels welded shut/bolts inoperable) M1A1's. From a distance, someone not familiar with the jrotc program would probably be inclined to possibly act in a negative way seeing a young person with a "firearm" walking towards/on school property.

I would have to visually get more info of the situation. Is it really an actual weapon? How about his demeanor/physical attitude? Although my suspicions/curiosity/concern would be tweaked, around here any number of high schools maintain njrotc units as part of their elective courses. The majority of those units have drill rifles and/or competition air rifles. The young person in the scenario could be carrying/transporting the rifle from an instructor's/school vehicle back into the building after an off-campus competition or event. I say this as having been a jrotc instructor at the local high school for 16 years (ret'd 2012), and our drill team/air rifle teams handled the rifles on a weekly, sometimes daily basis. The drill rifles were demilitarized (barrels welded shut/bolts inoperable) M1A1's. From a distance, someone not familiar with the jrotc program would probably be inclined to possibly act in a negative way seeing a young person with a "firearm" walking towards/on school property.
Just saying. My Granddaughter was in JROTC here. When not in drill weapons were cased, transported and stored by adult staff. Students were never permitted to wander the facility or campus with a weapon.
Doesn't matter any more. I see something suspicious at school or grocery 911. Monitor the situation and if necessary take appropriate action.

Back