testtest

Screw Size

The plate is red loctited as the blue wouldnt hold the plate to the slide for very long, about 100 shots. So I used the red and I do have a torque driver and torqued to the the appropriate specs. The optic is blue loctited to the plate and can be remove easily.
Hmm. You shouldn’t have to use LocTite for anything. And certainly not to attach the plate to the slide. That’s either poor design or hackery. I’ve installed about 40 optics in the last couple years with no LocTite on several handguns, shotguns and ARs. I’ve never had one come loose.

In any case red LocTite will break loose. You may need heat but it will come loose.

Upon further examination it seems that the screw had broken off the sight and some of the screw remains in the bottom of the sight, flush with the bottom making it impossible to grab with a pair of pliers. (see pics). Also, there isn't a screw hole on the A14B plate for the sight screw to screw into. Whats up with that? Anyone have a picture of the bottom of their A14B plate?
I don’t think that screw broke, thats how it’s supposed to look like. The set screw is a tiny hex head that you should be able to back it all the way out. You are probably not using the right size allen key.

I don’t think that screw broke, thats how it’s supposed to look like. The set screw is a tiny hex head that you should be able to back it all the way out. You are probably not using the right size allen key.
In the pictures you can see two views. The top and bottom. The top shows the missing piece of the screw. The bottom one shows the remainder of the screw. Do you have the A14B plate? If so, can you send me a picture of the sight from the top view? Thanks

In the pictures you can see two views. The top and bottom. The top shows the missing piece of the screw. The bottom one shows the remainder of the screw. Do you have the A14B plate? If so, can you send me a picture of the sight from the top view? Thanks
Its not broke the screw is small and deep in the sight, use a long 1/16th allen key shove it in the top of the sight. And turn the set screw like you are tightening and it will fall out. The only way to break it is by stripping the set screw.

Last edited:
The top of the sight, you will not see the set screw. The set screw has no head, unlike the screws used to attach the plate to the slide, and the optic to the plate. You will not see the set screw because it is buried deep in the tall sight blade.
IMG_2509.jpeg

You need a 1/16th allen key
IMG_2510.jpeg

Look how deep the set screw is in the sight and how far you have to reach in the sight blade
IMG_2512.jpeg

To remove the set screw you need to turn clockwise as if tightening and the screw will come out the bottom. The screw will not come out of the top since it is a blind hole (not threaded all the way through). It makes it impossible to loose the set screw unless you completely remove the rear sight.
IMG_2513.jpeg

IMG_2514.jpeg

Last edited:
The top of the sight, you will not see the set screw. The set screw has no head, unlike the screws used to attach the plate to the slide, and the optic to the plate. You will not see the set screw because it is buried deep in the tall sight blade.
View attachment 51738

You need a 1/16th allen key
View attachment 51739

Look how deep the set screw is in the sight and how far you have to reach in the sight blade
View attachment 51740

To remove the set screw you need to turn clockwise as if tightening and the screw will come out the bottom. The screw will not come out of the top since it is a blind hole (not threaded all the way through). It makes it impossible to loose the set screw unless you completely remove the rear sight.
View attachment 51741

View attachment 51742
XDMan, Thank you so much for your info. As you can see from my picture I was able to remove the screw from the sight just as you instructed. Now my questions are how do I zero the sight and how much torque do I use to keep it in place, if torque is the right word. Hard to believe that this set screw doesn't screw into a hole on the plate only presses against it. Again, thank you so much.

Attachments

• IMG_2960.jpg
    IMG_2960.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 18
XDMan, Thank you so much for your info. As you can see from my picture I was able to remove the screw from the sight just as you instructed. Now my questions are how do I zero the sight and how much torque do I use to keep it in place, if torque is the right word. Hard to believe that this set screw doesn't screw into a hole on the plate only presses against it. Again, thank you so much.
The dovetail should do most of the work, the set screw is just an extra back up. If the sight is super loose in the dovetail, I use red locktite and spread it in the dovetail. Then push the sight centered, and cinch the set screw down. Wipe off the excess loctite. No locktite directly on the screw, just in the dovetail. Thats how we install sights at xdman and has worked for 20 something years. Red is non wicking and wont really work its way up the threads unless you put it in the sight blade hole first. Yes it will be removable.

The dovetail should do most of the work, the set screw is just an extra back up. If the sight is super loose in the dovetail, I use red locktite and spread it in the dovetail. Then push the sight centered, and cinch the set screw down. Wipe off the excess loctite. No locktite directly on the screw, just in the dovetail. Thats how we install sights at xdman and has worked for 20 something years. Red is non wicking and wont really work its way up the threads unless you put it in the sight blade hole first. Yes it will be removable.
Again, thanks for the tips. I don't have any red Loctite, only blue, but I will get the red. Thank you!

Back