testtest

Show off your 1911

My Christmas present (to myself, lol) just arrived today ! Needs a good cleanin’....

Sight pictures, one front focus and one rear. Love the U-shape of the rear sight, and the large front dot seems to acquire quickly... we’ll see at the range. B39A540C-70C7-43FB-B261-6279AC33C197.jpeg132E8740-B807-42FF-B775-1DD49B225B9B.jpeg

Actually, 10th, I’ll answer upfront and then by way of a comparison:
BLUF (Bottom Line, Up Front:):
The Ronin - in .45 mind u - is IMHO one of the best buys out there and I LOVE mine !
The only change I’d make is to sights: a bit larger diameter to the FO front and U-shape the rear instead of square hole, and elim the rear dots.

Talking Points: I love the big front dot and U rear on the Vickers. But I’m older now and in ever-changing glasses...
Vickers front strap checkering is an advantage over Ronin . But with my small hands the Ronin slim grips feel better (but today was my first range time with Vickers; had my Ronin since June). Ronin’s deep cuts on the slide grip are firmer, though i got used to Vickers special pattern quickly. Vickers is better for CC or quick draw ; it also has a narrower thumb safety for that purpose (personal counterpoint: with my small hands the wider Ronin safety *seems* better to reach - but again I’m not ‘used to’ the Vickers yet !
i so wish the Ronin had the ball cut slide like Vick. But thats only appearance.
Vickers advantage: that longer sight radius ! Helped right off, at 20 yd mark. Definitely shot better despite being more used to Ronin (but that’s probably totally mental; they’re both Spgfld 1911s).
Vickers comes with 2 Wilson mags (I only used my MecGar) while Ronin only gives one.

if I was really pressed, I’d have to give a slight nod to the Ronin as the better value all around. BUT I gotta add the caveat that I shot better with the Vick today (first time with it) than I did way back on my first day with the Ronin.

you won’t go wrong with yours! Curious: did u go .45 or 9 ?

Oh, one thing:
everyone here is an old pro of course and has their cleaning techniques down pat. Wanted to ask if anyone uses these swabs? I stumbled upon them early in this autumn. Moistened with CLP, they seem to make a great ‘quick clean’ during breaks at the range and I’m starting to use them at home after a swipe or two with the nylon bore brush for final clean. Works good, esp since I can’t fire a lot with ammo scarce and costly...
(sorry about the glare in the pic)
D9F37B49-77B4-4178-8A5B-B989377A0F54.jpeg

Oh, one thing:
everyone here is an old pro of course and has their cleaning techniques down pat. Wanted to ask if anyone uses these swabs? I stumbled upon them early in this autumn. Moistened with CLP, they seem to make a great ‘quick clean’ during breaks at the range and I’m starting to use them at home after a swipe or two with the nylon bore brush for final clean. Works good, esp since I can’t fire a lot with ammo scarce and costly...
(sorry about the glare in the pic)View attachment 13391
Those look like they would be very useful to clean any gun, may have to pick some up, thanks for the post.

Thanks for the info TidalWave. I have fired a friend's Ronin and had to get one. It will be my first 1911. I have a few other Springfields and they make quality firearms. I'm probably relatively new to gun ownership compared to many on these boards but that's not to say I'm new to shooting. I really enjoy these forums. I went with a 9mm since I have a few other 9s and actually can get my hands on ammo right now. I debated getting the 45ACP but my current inventory persuaded me to go the other direction.

EDIT--- I use Ballistol , regular old fashioned Qtips and cut up old sheets to clean my guns. I do not recall seeing the cleaners in your picture, but admit I have not been looking for it either.

Thanks for the info TidalWave. I have fired a friend's Ronin and had to get one. It will be my first 1911. I have a few other Springfields and they make quality firearms. I'm probably relatively new to gun ownership compared to many on these boards but that's not to say I'm new to shooting. I really enjoy these forums. I went with a 9mm since I have a few other 9s and actually can get my hands on ammo right now. I debated getting the 45ACP but my current inventory persuaded me to go the other direction.

EDIT--- I use Ballistol , regular old fashioned Qtips and cut up old sheets to clean my guns. I do not recall seeing the cleaners in your picture, but admit I have not been looking for it either.
I found my RamRodz swabs at a store here, but just now located them on Amazon. About $14 for a pack of 100 in .45..... you get 200 swabs in 9mm for the same price.
Just put some Ballistol on it and run it either end...
In your circumstances the 9 sounds like a good choice (although I’m a purist about 1911s, myself). One thing: if you got the full size, it’ll be stainless steel frame, but I understand the 4.25/commander size or whatever that they just came out with is aluminum with cerakote finish. ( hope I’ve got that right)...anyway there’s a post on this forum from someone who’s having a wear problem on his relatively new 4.25 ronin. You might monitor his situation if yours is same model... just a tip. (I’m sure Spgfld will make it right if its due to defect).

I found my RamRodz swabs at a store here, but just now located them on Amazon. About $14 for a pack of 100 in .45..... you get 200 swabs in 9mm for the same price.
Just put some Ballistol on it and run it either end...
In your circumstances the 9 sounds like a good choice (although I’m a purist about 1911s, myself). One thing: if you got the full size, it’ll be stainless steel frame, but I understand the 4.25/commander size or whatever that they just came out with is aluminum with cerakote finish. ( hope I’ve got that right)...anyway there’s a post on this forum from someone who’s having a wear problem on his relatively new 4.25 ronin. You might monitor his situation if yours is same model... just a tip. (I’m sure Spgfld will make it right if its due to defect).
The title of his post thread is “Wear on a new Ronin”

1B94EF1C-D8E6-42C3-94DD-6374E6F41C71.jpeg

Went to the LGS this morning with ALL intentions of bringing home a Hellcat OSP . Sitting by its lonesome was this 45 acp range officer. Remembered looking at this thread and awesome 1911 pics , and could not leave it there. First 1911 , 3rd SA ! Happy New Year it is !!

View attachment 13529
Went to the LGS this morning with ALL intentions of bringing home a Hellcat OSP . Sitting by its lonesome was this 45 acp range officer. Remembered looking at this thread and awesome 1911 pics , and could not leave it there. First 1911 , 3rd SA ! Happy New Year it is !!
Happy New Year indeed !! I do not think that will disappoint...
U can pick up the plastic some other time Lol

Back