testtest

Show off your 1911

@Annihilator a younger guy that helps me out has been shooting some with me and I got this colt and couldn't wait to show him??? He pulls up big grin on his face ,I told him want to show you something. He said me too and pulls this out won it in a raffle ???
IMG_20221012_174238_680.jpg

I still am having a hard time getting my slide stop to go into place
Here's what I've been doing to some of the slide stops in inventory:
1666732872708.png

1666732901322.png

1666732941012.png

I cut those little notches so that, when being inserted, they rest right on the plunger and keeping the slide stop from scratching your frame. Now, I had these units in stock when I scratched the new Gold Cup. Hey, they ain't called "idiot scratches" for nothin'. Feel free to pile on.

Mike

View attachment 31829
View attachment 31830
View attachment 31831
I cut those little notches so that, when being inserted, they rest right on the plunger and keeping the slide stop from scratching your frame. Now, I had these units in stock when I scratched the new Gold Cup. Hey, they ain't called "idiot scratches" for nothin'. Feel free to pile on.

Mike
Thanks because I put a tiny IDOT SCRATCH and my new one. 50 years of 1911 and the first one was my new colt. I bought this little plastic paper thin thing but still

View attachment 31829
View attachment 31830
View attachment 31831

Mike
If it works, that’s great, may try that on my Colt Classic, it’s a well you know to put back in

I walked into a local gun store a few months ago and spied a new Colt Gold Cup and, in a moment of weakness, bought it:
View attachment 31822
View attachment 31823
When I got it home, it was field stripped, lubed & greased properly in preparation for a trip to the range. Well, when I tried to put the slide release back in, it was stubborn! You guessed it, I did the infamous "idiot scratch." To make that sin even worse, I'm quite familiar with this JMB design since I was issued one in Vietnam and have a few in stock. Crap! Using well-practiced powers of rationalization, I reasoned that since I didn't like the finish anyway, I'd take it to a fine 'smith I know and get him to take care of business. He chuckled at the "idiot scratch" and said, "Hey, you know what they call this, don't you?" I casually mentioned my PTSD from my time in the infantry and he laughed even more. I picked it up not too long ago and was quite pleased with the results:
View attachment 31824
View attachment 31825
The 'smith lubed it properly and I went straight out to the range and rattled off 250 rounds. It proved to be a good shooter. When I got home and did the cleaning process, I noticed the slide stop dropped into place just like all of my other 1911s. It just needed a little break in time and a little grove cut in the stop.

Mike
No way can your purchase be a moment of weakness. I have one in polished stainless that is an amazing gun.

My auto-ordnance M1911A1
20220814_231935.jpg

According to multiple sources it is the closest reproduction to the actual USGI 1911A1's....
I did replace the USGI plastic grips with walnut that stripped and finished the old fashioned way with pure tung oil...
It motivated me to dig up my old M7 Holster out of boxes in the basement and clean it up....
M7 Holster Before-After.jpg

So, Auto-Ordnance....
Developed a bad rap for poor quality later in their career..
Was bought by the Kahr group, that most believe has improved the quality drastically...

My experience, seemed like reasonable quality, fit, finish, operation, reliability and accuracy all seem status quo for a $600 1911...

But, after a couple hundred rounds I had the extractor clock and had progressively more frequent extraction failures, to the point every other round failed to eject. I got a wilson combat extractor and firing pin stop plate just drop them in, no fitting, and its back to working flawlessly....

So mixed review on the quality of Auto-Ordnance, the pistol seems to be the expected quality of a $600 1911, till the extractor clocked way to early... ...at the same time, it was one part that was cheap and easy to fix...

My second 80% build, well I really did them at the same time, completing this one just a couple days after the first...
I call it my Warhawk 1911A2.... ....The frame is an 80% rock island double stack frame, that they call a 1911A2...
20221017_014939.jpg

The laser engraving on the slide came out really good on this one, it is suppose look weathered and pock marked, it looks better IRL than in the photo...
20221017_014921.jpg

20221017_001237.jpg

Back