testtest

SHTF Apocalyptic Movies

Status
Not open for further replies.

10mmLife

Staff member
Founding Member
What is the best SHTF apocalyptic movie you've seen?

I thought the Road was really good for a post apocalyptic movie.

The man and his young son traveling on foot trying to find food and sanctuary in post apocalyptic America while trying to dodge cannibals and other dangerous types of people was pretty depressing but almost realistic.

What movie do you like, can you list a description.

Last edited:
The Road Warrior........
Classic!
Screenshot_20200206-183024_Firefox.jpg

The Road Warrior........

I'm a romantic at-heart.

And as a dog-lover on top of it, I really think there's something quite romantic about this scene from Mad Max, where he shares a can of the fictional "Dinki-Di" with his four-legged pal.

I'll miss my wife and daughter, but that's my romantic imagine the post-apocalypse: me and my dog, driving around in a battle-scarred but awesome car, sharing our chow together. :love:

-----

I love the dystopia genre in both film and literature, so if I were to go with the former, I'd actually go with Elysium (https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1535108/) and Interstellar (https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0816692/). The have -versus- have-not disparity of the SHTF future in Elysium mirrors the worst of our world now. Meanwhile, the way things played out towards SHTF (and yet continues to play out) on Earth in Interstellar digs at my pet-peeve of the reactionary "Greens" of today while lighting my hopes that perhaps a new generation will be inspired to reach for the stars.

1581036772830.png

1581036836446.png

The ones I like are Dawn of the dead(newer), land of the dead, resident evil series, book of eli, terminator salvation, war of the worlds. Theres a few others but I cant think at the moment.

For shows, I love the walking dead, the 100, black summer.

I like it when they describe the collapse and chaos of the event that is causing it too.

There’s a few, but I’ll start with this one. George Romero’s “Night of the Living Dead” which was one of the first if not the first movie that started the zombie craze. It was a small budget movie that was filmed in Pa. near Pittsburg. A probe burns up in the atmosphere & releases radiation that brings the recently deceased back to life craving live human flesh. It starts with a broth and sister visiting their father’s grave and the sister is spooked by someone walking in the cemetery by them. The brother’s classic line is “Their coming to get you Barbara” trying to scare her. The ghoul then kills & eats her brother as she runs away. The rest of the movie is how she hooks up with other survivors as the outside world tries to come up with a method to rid them of this menace. What made this movie ”special” is my best friend telling me how great it was before I even knew about it (he loved horror flix), and my mother, who just passed away, was buried the night I watched this (she was also a big horror and sci fyi film fan, so she would have appreciated me watching it that night). Needless to say, at age 17, I was scared :poop:less. But it’s now a cult classic, I’ve seen it several times, and George has gone on to make remakes/sequels to his original film.

Ok, since we had a thread about Charlton Heston, the second film in the 3 remakes of the book “I am Legend”, was “The Omega Man” that I actually saw with friends in the theater. Its plot is about a scientist (Heston), who takes an experimental vaccine before an Apocalyptic war that turns humans into zombie like beings afraid of the light. In the dark, they come out and try to kill the Omega Man. He, tries to save some by transferring his blood to reverse the affects with little success. As he fends off attack after attack. The first film made from the book was Vincent Price in “The Last Man Standing” (I have never seen it), the third was Will Smith’s “I am Legend”, which I saw and is basically the same as Omega Man only with better effects since it’s more recent.
Other movies I’ve seen in this genre include: the Mad Max trilogy & remake, Stephe King’s “The Stand”, “28 days”, “28 days later”, “10 Cloverfield Lane”, “War of the Worlds” (original & remake) “Book of Eli”, “The Postman”. I’m sure there’s more that I’ve seen & liked, but I can’t think of them at the moment.

There’s a few, but I’ll start with this one. George Romero’s “Night of the Living Dead” which was one of the first if not the first movie that started the zombie craze. It was a small budget movie that was filmed in Pa. near Pittsburg. A probe burns up in the atmosphere & releases radiation that brings the recently deceased back to life craving live human flesh. It starts with a broth and sister visiting their father’s grave and the sister is spooked by someone walking in the cemetery by them. The brother’s classic line is “Their coming to get you Barbara” trying to scare her. The ghoul then kills & eats her brother as she runs away. The rest of the movie is how she hooks up with other survivors as the outside world tries to come up with a method to rid them of this menace. What made this movie ”special” is my best friend telling me how great it was before I even knew about it (he loved horror flix), and my mother, who just passed away, was buried the night I watched this (she was also a big horror and sci fyi film fan, so she would have appreciated me watching it that night). Needless to say, at age 17, I was scared :poop:less. But it’s now a cult classic, I’ve seen it several times, and George has gone on to make remakes/sequels to his original film.
I absolutely love the original night of the living dead! Romero is the king of zombie flix!

Ok, since we had a thread about Charlton Heston, the second film in the 3 remakes of the book “I am Legend”, was “The Omega Man” that I actually saw with friends in the theater. Its plot is about a scientist (Heston), who takes an experimental vaccine before an Apocalyptic war that turns humans into zombie like beings afraid of the light. In the dark, they come out and try to kill the Omega Man. He, tries to save some by transferring his blood to reverse the affects with little success. As he fends off attack after attack. The first film made from the book was Vincent Price in “The Last Man Standing” (I have never seen it), the third was Will Smith’s “I am Legend”, which I saw and is basically the same as Omega Man only with better effects since it’s more recent.
Other movies I’ve seen in this genre include: the Mad Max trilogy & remake, Stephe King’s “The Stand”, “28 days”, “28 days later”, “10 Cloverfield Lane”, “War of the Worlds” (original & remake) “Book of Eli”, “The Postman”. I’m sure there’s more that I’ve seen & liked, but I can’t think of them at the moment.
All great movies in the genre!

I think the postman was a lot better movie then the reviews it received at the time it was released.

My top 10 SHTF movies are:
1 - The Road
2- Arctic
(Extreme environment survival)
3- The Day
4- Contagion
(although I don't like how they focus on vaccination as the answer to pandemic or the film's propagandistic treatment of vaccine skeptics, it's Hollywood and they always push the globalist/leftist agenda, so... At least the parts where looters were invading homes, robbing stores, mobs bumrushing pharmacies, police & other emergency services overwhelmed, people running out of food & other necessities and subsequently rioting, society breaking down all around, et cetera, provided some needed realism. Even if some of these things were inferred in the movie, there's enough depicted in short scenes to connect the dots. And with what's going on right now in China, now is a good time to get full-face respirator masks, purell, hard surface germicidal/virucidal wipes, nitrile gloves, and other pandemic preps.)
5- How It Ends
6- No Escape
(SHTF/WROL when you're in a foreign country)
7- Into the Storm (Tornadoes)
8- I Am Legend / The Omega Man
(both versions are good)
9- Deep Impact (Asteroid strike)
10- Children of Men
(Global infertility)

Honorable Mentions

Doomsday
Outbreak
The Day After
The Postman
Assault on Precinct 13 (2005 remake) (WROL situation)

I'm sure there may be some other good SHTF movies out there, but I made a point of excluding anything of the sci-fi genre (like The Andromeda Strain 2008 remake) or zombie movies because that just wouldn't happen in real life. The only zombie movies that are even somewhat plausible are 28 Days Later & 28 Weeks Later, and that's really almost a pandemic movie than actual zombies. So maybe throw that in with Honorable Mentions.

My top 10 SHTF movies are:
1 - The Road
2- Arctic
(Extreme environment survival)
3- The Day
4- Contagion
(although I don't like how they focus on vaccination as the answer to pandemic or the film's propagandistic treatment of vaccine skeptics, it's Hollywood and they always push the globalist/leftist agenda, so... At least the parts where looters were invading homes, robbing stores, mobs bumrushing pharmacies, police & other emergency services overwhelmed, people running out of food & other necessities and subsequently rioting, society breaking down all around, et cetera, provided some needed realism. Even if some of these things were inferred in the movie, there's enough depicted in short scenes to connect the dots. And with what's going on right now in China, now is a good time to get full-face respirator masks, purell, hard surface germicidal/virucidal wipes, nitrile gloves, and other pandemic preps.)
5- How It Ends
6- No Escape
(SHTF/WROL when you're in a foreign country)
7- Into the Storm (Tornadoes)
8- I Am Legend / The Omega Man (both versions are good)
9- Deep Impact (Asteroid strike)
10- Children of Men (Global infertility)

Honorable Mentions
Doomsday
Outbreak
The Day After
The Postman
Assault on Precinct 13 (2005 remake) (WROL situation)

I'm sure there may be some other good SHTF movies out there, but I made a point of excluding anything of the sci-fi genre (like The Andromeda Strain 2008 remake) or zombie movies because that just wouldn't happen in real life. The only zombie movies that are even somewhat plausible are 28 Days Later & 28 Weeks Later, and that's really almost a pandemic movie than actual zombies. So maybe throw that in with Honorable Mentions.
I haven't seen some of the movies you're referencing I'll have to check them out!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back