testtest

Slide-lock reload

somorris

Professional
Founding Member
When my semi-auto is empty and I reload, I have always just pushed the slide release and let it slam home. I have done this with handguns and autoloading shotguns since I was a kid. I watched a video yesterday that for handguns, the presenter recommended grabbing the slide with your weak side hand, pushing the slide release, and letting go of the slide to chamber a new round from the newly installed full magazine. He did not explain why he preferred this method. What do you do??

I have never used the slide lock to chamber another round. I use the sling shot method by grabbing the slide with off hand , pulling to the rear , and releasing the slide. Now if the firearm is empty , with or withot a mag in it , I will pull back on the slide and push down on the slide release to let the slide down gently.

I have always used the slide lock to chamber a round, but, I know Glock doesn’t recommend that, they want you to grasp the slide and to reload the gun, I guess, it’s up to the individual, really don’t think there is a wrong or right way, just what ever you prefer I guess.

I do not understand the point of using the slide lock and gripping the slide at the same time unless the gun is empty then I'll walk the slide home.

I use the slide lock release when using certain guns and I sling shot others. The determining factor is the gun itself. A few of my smaller pistols have a slide lock release that you really need to grip and force down but all my full size guns have a much smoother slide lock release that can be operated with a firm push.

I'm not sure what difference it makes, but now I wonder if I have been doing it "wrong" all these years. I started off many, many years ago with my Dad's Browning shotgun. It had a curved slide pull, but it would have been difficult to ease it down and be sure a round chambered. I just pushed the little button. Most of my younger day handgun shooting was with a revolver, so no need to worry about the slide. I really don't see that it makes much difference. Maybe somebody from SA will chime in.

That's my understanding as well - using it all the time will result (COULD result) in wearing/rounding the corners of the lock tab, or the lock slot, keeping the lock from functioning properly all the time.

That said...I always use the slide lock to release a rearward slide on my XDs.

My normal post-clean process is, lock it back, drop one in the chamber, release the lock, insert the mag, turn on the laser, and put it in the holster.

My shooting process is, drop the empty mag, insert the fresh mag, release the lock, aim and fire.

If things start to wear too badly I can a) replace the slide lock tab, and/or b) dremel a square edge back into the slide itself to remove any rounded corners that may form. Eventually I may need to replace the slide...but that's tens and tens of thousands of rounds from now anyway...

The issue is that if you always release by the slide lock you can eventually wear it out and then it won't ever hold the slide back. I guess that would make a difference if you shoot ten of thousands of rounds a year.
I used to use the slide release button on my XD Mod2 & XDS, but have recently stopped doing that due to thinking about rounding-off a squared corner, even I'm far from having shot thousands of rounds. I now use the "slingshot" method.

On the new M&P EZ9, trying to use the slide lock button as a release is futile at best. Doing the slingshot method is the way to go with that pistol, and it's also that way for my wife's 380EZ.

It all comes down to training.

I would slide release all the time until I started shooting my xdm more and because I ride the slide release with my grip it would never lock back at all. So I had to teach myself to slingshot. Now I slingshot all of my pistols.

I have done it both ways over the years. I finally just standardized on pulling the slide, it seems that it could be quicker than hitting the slide lock. Part of that is also if your thumb slips off of the slide lock you lose time. I also use it when I am training new shooters, I have shown them if their hands are smaller or weaker that it is quicker than trying to use the lock.

I pull the slide back and release it (sometimes guilty of riding it back with my hand which is a bad habit). The argument against using the slide stop/release, is that it's a fine motor skill that will be lost when engaged in a deadly defense scenario, and using the "sling shot method" will contribute to muscle memory with it's constant practice. There's argument against this, as some say that the "sling shot" method is also a fine motor skill, and then those that say you don't lose fine motor skills in an adrenaline fueled event. So there's many opinions on which is right or wrong. I linked an article that makes the case of NOT using the slide stop/release, but I'm sure articles could be found saying the opposite.

Depends on the gun. If I can release the slide via the lever I will do so. Always do this with my Sigs and I can do it with my Springfields. Glock is a little tougher but can be done. Have to slingshot my Shield as that is listed as a slide stop lever. S&W states to manually rack the slide in the manual.

I pull the slide back and release it (sometimes guilty of riding it back with my hand which is a bad habit). The argument against using the slide stop/release, is that it's a fine motor skill that will be lost when engaged in a deadly defense scenario, and using the "sling shot method" will contribute to muscle memory with it's constant practice. There's argument against this, as some say that the "sling shot" method is also a fine motor skill, and then those that say you don't lose fine motor skills in an adrenaline fueled event. So there's many opinions on which is right or wrong. I linked an article that makes the case of NOT using the slide stop/release, but I'm sure articles could be found saying the opposite.

1584739208007.gif

Oppps....did I post a stupid pic again......🤔🤔🤔🤔

On my XDM Mod2’s I am able to use the slide lock lever to release the slide after inserting a fresh mag because it allows me to do so without much effort. I found on my 1911 RO I can’t so I rack the slide.
Never gave much thought to the possibility of rounding off the corners.
It’s something I’ll pay attention to.

Depends on the gun. If I can release the slide via the lever I will do so. Always do this with my Sigs and I can do it with my Springfields. Glock is a little tougher but can be done. Have to slingshot my Shield as that is listed as a slide stop lever. S&W states to manually rack the slide in the manual.
My shield is a bear on the slide lock compared to my XD

"It is a slide stop. Not a release." is what I taught all the years I was a department and academy firearms instructor. The main reason for it was hitting the slide release to chamber a round is a fine motor skill. In a gunfight your fine motor skill goes to hell in a hand basket. Slingshoting the slide is a gross motor skill. Remember folks you'll play like you practice!

Back