testtest

Small of Back Carry

For clarity, I'm not suggesting anyone draw with their off hand. Just put the gun in an opposite hand holster if you're carrying SOB so you don't have to twist your wrist all the way around to grab it.
I don't have to twist my wrist I just reach back normally to draw.

At least that's how my SOB holster is designed, it's like an upside down cross-draw.

So maybe other SOB designs require a wrist twist.

I don't have to twist my wrist I just reach back normally to draw.

At least that's how my SOB holster is designed, it's like an upside down cross-draw.

So maybe other SOB designs require a wrist twist.
If you are carrying in the center of your back and when you grasp the gun with your dominant hand your palm is facing your back you are twisting your wrist and/or your elbow.

I get that people are trying to use regular holsters in a way they weren't intended for and hey, whatever works for you is fine with me, but think about it like this. If you were quickly shoving a pistol down your pants at the small of your back would you do it with the grip facing your offhand side ? You wouldn't. Why would you dedicate a holster to SOB carry with the gun oriented that way ?

If you are carrying in the center of your back and when you grasp the gun with your dominant hand your palm is facing your back you are twisting your wrist and/or your elbow.

I get that people are trying to use regular holsters in a way they weren't intended for and hey, whatever works for you is fine with me, but think about it like this. If you were quickly shoving a pistol down your pants at the small of your back would you do it with the grip facing your offhand side ? You wouldn't. Why would you dedicate a holster to SOB carry with the gun oriented that way ?
The SOB holster was designed the way I described it and not a repurposed regular holster. To draw I sweep my dominant hand back & the elbow bends inward the way it was designed & the wrist does not rotate in any manner. The palm of my hand faces my back as I grip the pistol grip. It's much like how a belt holster drawn with the exception that the pistol is grip up & slide down but angled forward. The holster is OWB not IWB.

1711243536133.png
1711243582824.png

I'm not going to describe what I just did anymore here since that's the way it works.

Whatever works for some may not work for others.

Last edited:
The SOB holster was designed the way I described it and not a repurposed regular holster. To draw I sweep my dominant hand back & the elbow bends inward the way it was designed & the wrist does not rotate in any manner. The palm of my hand faces my back as I grip the pistol grip. It's much like how a belt holster drawn with the exception that the pistol is grip up & slide down but angled forward. The holster is OWB not IWB.

I'm not going to describe what I just did anymore here since that's the way it works.

I guess I don't understand what you're saying. Maybe a photo of the holster. Also I wasn't responding only to you, but other comments on the thread which indicate that people use the same holster they carry at 3:00 with to carry SOB.

If the gun is upside down it makes a whole lot more sense. It would need to be upside down or oriented opposite hand to be even remotely convenient I would think.

I guess I don't understand what you're saying. Maybe a photo of the holster. Also I wasn't responding only to you, but other comments on the thread which indicate that people use the same holster they carry at 3:00 with to carry SOB.

If the gun is upside down it makes a whole lot more sense. It would need to be upside down or oriented opposite hand to be even remotely convenient I would think.
I just added pics.

Makes perfect sense now.

View attachment 54647View attachment 54648

The first time I saw one of those was on NCIS New Orleans. I can't imagine riding around in a car with a holster like that or sitting in the chair or getting knocked on my ass.

Tried it. Nope no way. As a LEO why do you think most of us leave our backs open on our duty belts ? For the fact of if we fall on our backs or pushed into a wall or car or something you risk injuring your back pretty badly. Just my two cents worth....

To say nothing of the cumulative damage being seated in a patrol car with lumpy stuff affecting the muscles, nerves and vertebrae for a few decades. o_O

No. Very popular on TV and in movies, but in real life? I doubt it.

I was watching a YouTube series on a child abuse investigation against two ladies. One of the investigators had his sidearm just tucked into the small of his back. Both at the person's house and in the agency headquarters while they were walking the suspects around to be interviewed I counted over a half a dozen times when the bad ladies were with in a step of the officer's gun.

A female investigator I worked with wanted to get rid of the "tumor" (holstered weapon) on her hip and bought a small-of-back holster. She was told very politely that no one would go out in the field with her and then a supervisor told her to get rid of it when he saw it that morning.

Back