testtest

Social Camouflage: Blending In to Safely CCW

For me I do my best to keep concealed but also check how others are dressed. I don't feel there are many people (over 40) wearing open cover shirts that aren't carrying. I have found my carrying has definitely increased my awareness of others that carry.
How would you define an "open cover shirt"?

Where I'm at most people over forty dress like they do all their shopping at Cabela's.

I went to an Audiology appointment one morning and every guy in the waiting room (3 of us) was wearing the same brand of cargo pants. The only difference was the color.

^ A lot of "how folks dress" varies quite a bit by not only the geographic area they're in, but also the crowd they typically "run" with - i.e. where they work, where they shop, etc. Even the time-of-day can make a difference.

These are all good tips, but I worry that we may be in a bit of an echo chamber. From what I can tell, we are almost all middle-age to older people with no desire to stand out from the crowd.

I took my wife to the mall yesterday. Based on that experience, I'm assuming that 75% of the public now wants to dress in the manner that draws the most attention possible. 10 years from now, it's a definite possibility that anyone with their natural hair color, wearing pants that actually fit (i.e. not yoga pants or denim draperies), with a belt around their waste, and no neck/facial tattoos is going to automatically be presumed to be a heavily-armed right-wing domestic terrorist. If we really want to start blending-in, we may have to consider some drastic changes to our wardrobe.

Once in a while I may wear an NRA t-shirt, or something, if I'm feeling sassy. But I don't go in for "tactical" clothing either. The only people I ever see wearing that stuff are on Youtube. I go around looking like the old fashioned fuddy-duddy that I am. But I have a 1.5 second draw-to-first-shot.

I conducted an experiment once. People talk about how gun fanny packs just "scream gun" to anyone looking. So I decided to wear one on a walk-in day trip into Canada some years ago. Of course, all gun related items were removed. It was strictly being used as a fanny pack, but it was a pretty obvious "gun" fanny pack. I stood in the customs line fully prepared to be pulled aside, strip searched and interrogated under the hot lights. To my surprise, I was waived right through without a second glance. I could have been carrying a Desert Eagle if I wanted. Maybe Canadians have never heard of gun fanny packs. Who knows?

Living in Florida, most assume shorts and tshirts, which can be difficult to conceal with if you’re not shopping smart. Because I’m allergic to sunlight, I’m stuck in either oversized long sleeved Columbia stuff (god I hate wearing fishing clothing) or very thin speciality UV clothing that likes to print like they stole some $100 note plates. It’s a pain for so many reasons, the least of which is how fat my 🤬 is, lol.

Living in Florida, most assume shorts and tshirts, which can be difficult to conceal with if you’re not shopping smart. Because I’m allergic to sunlight, I’m stuck in either oversized long sleeved Columbia stuff (god I hate wearing fishing clothing) or very thin speciality UV clothing that likes to print like they stole some $100 note plates. It’s a pain for so many reasons, the least of which is how fat my 🤬 is, lol.
Language. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Once in a while I may wear an NRA t-shirt, or something, if I'm feeling sassy. But I don't go in for "tactical" clothing either. The only people I ever see wearing that stuff are on Youtube. I go around looking like the old fashioned fuddy-duddy that I am. But I have a 1.5 second draw-to-first-shot.

I conducted an experiment once. People talk about how gun fanny packs just "scream gun" to anyone looking. So I decided to wear one on a walk-in day trip into Canada some years ago. Of course, all gun related items were removed. It was strictly being used as a fanny pack, but it was a pretty obvious "gun" fanny pack. I stood in the customs line fully prepared to be pulled aside, strip searched and interrogated under the hot lights. To my surprise, I was waived right through without a second glance. I could have been carrying a Desert Eagle if I wanted. Maybe Canadians have never heard of gun fanny packs. Who knows?
What makes a fanny pack a "Gun" fanny pack ?

I wear regular clothes that I would wear if I wasn't carrying. The only thing I do different at the range is gloves, ear pro and eye pro. Even in shotgun courses the only thing that visually identifies me as a gun guy is my shotgun and safety gear.

I admit I have a couple t-shirts I have no issues wearing. One says " Invest in American steel" on the back and the S&W logo on the front. Couple NRA shirts. Where I live though it's pretty much just other people like me. Besides, I am not trying to convince anyone I'm not carrying, but it doesn't matter to me if they are wondering.

I dress fairly non dis script but do have and wear Springfield Armory t-shirts and have a Springfield Armory XD Jacket I wear.
With the Springfield logo’d stuff, I honestly don’t think the Brady bunch is with it enough to actually grasp what an armory is. Heck nowadays that probably applies to most under 30.

With the Springfield logo’d stuff, I honestly don’t think the Brady bunch is with it enough to actually grasp what an armory is. Heck nowadays that probably applies to most under 30.
My newest shirts just have just the name Springfield Armory but my older T-shirts have a picture of an XD gun albeit faded. I have no issues wearing them but do understand I’m putting myself front and center especially in today’s climate.

On a couple of other threads people have suggested having an open carry day once a year to 'wake the woke up'. Maybe we should have a wear the 'shirt that says it all' day once a month to make the general public aware of how many of us there really is !!

On a couple of other threads people have suggested having an open carry day once a year to 'wake the woke up'. Maybe we should have a wear the 'shirt that says it all' day once a month to make the general public aware of how many of us there really is !!
I don’t carry a firearm to make a political statement; and I find that most people that do…are people I prefer not to associate with.

So yeah. I’m not doing that.

Can see both sides of the argument, why shouldn't we wear gun related clothing its our choice but the whole idea of concealed carry is to go un-noticed.
Years ago nobody would even notice a gun t-shirt or shirt but with the political "anti gun omg he has a gun t-shirt on" he must have a hundred guns and going to shoot everyone he sees agenda,we feel persecuted just for displaying our choice of life and preferences.

I went to the local Kroger yesterday . I was wearing my bib overalls and my NRA life member cap. Around my area there isn't much worry over such things.

Oh by the way , during the summer months I sometimes wear my " shoot me first vest " just to see if it works. So far it hasn't. ;)

I posted this on another forum several years ago. I think it applies to this discussion as well

This clearly is a real issue because it comes up over and over and over again on just about every gun forum out there.

I don't have any problem believing that 95% of the people I encounter on a daily basis have no idea what 5.11 means. They're not the people I'm worried about.

The people I'm worried about are the 5% that do recognize those clothes and know exactly what they are.

I said this the last time this discussion came up and it's true so I'm going to say it again. The next time you see any kind of cop getting interviewed on TV look at what he's wearing. It's almost always going to be the 5.11 pants and the 5.11 Polo. It's literally a uniform.

I've said this before but a criminal , especially a criminal, who's been arrested by somebody wearing 5.11s is going to know what they are.

They may not be able to tell you "Those are 5.11 pants." but I bet they can tell you that cops wear them. Those are the people whose attention I'm trying to avoid.

Another thing that I've noticed is it there is a certain type of concealed carrier who wears the Tactical Tuxedo on purpose because he wants people to think he's an "operator" . There was a guy that used to live in my apartment complex who would walk around in his Karate pants all the time. He wanted everybody who saw him to know he wasn't the guy you wanted to mess with without actually having to say it. That's what I think of every time I see someone who isn't a cop wearing the 5.11.

What makes a fanny pack a "Gun" fanny pack ?

I wear regular clothes that I would wear if I wasn't carrying. The only thing I do different at the range is gloves, ear pro and eye pro. Even in shotgun courses the only thing that visually identifies me as a gun guy is my shotgun and safety gear.

I admit I have a couple t-shirts I have no issues wearing. One says " Invest in American steel" on the back and the S&W logo on the front. Couple NRA shirts. Where I live though it's pretty much just other people like me. Besides, I am not trying to convince anyone I'm not carrying, but it doesn't matter to me if they are wondering.
I assumed everyone knew what I meant. Gun fanny packs usually have a certain look. They may have some velcro visible from a peel-away panel, or an obvious zipper around the circumference of the pack for access to the gun comparment. I don't often use one, since it's sort of like carrying a gun in a purse: not the best idea.

I assumed everyone knew what I meant. Gun fanny packs usually have a certain look. They may have some velcro visible from a peel-away panel, or an obvious zipper around the circumference of the pack for access to the gun comparment. I don't often use one, since it's sort of like carrying a gun in a purse: not the best idea.
Oh. Well I have one. There's no gun in it. It's full of shotgun shells. :)

I went to the local Kroger yesterday . I was wearing my bib overalls and my NRA life member cap. Around my area there isn't much worry over such things.

Oh by the way , during the summer months I sometimes wear my " shoot me first vest " just to see if it works. So far it hasn't. ;)
I tell ya, that's one of the things I miss about Oklahoma. Lived next to Tulsa and you'd see tshirts with Hillary on the front and the "A Gun and a Girl" logo on the back.

This was from the local/area headlines on Wednesday/Thursday, last week -

1646169932507.png

I sympathize with the man for not wanting go disarmed to a large public event, and I don't agree with the current law - but as a legal concealed-carry citizen, I do abide by it.

The lessons to be learned here have been covered in by many in this thread. I just wanted to show a recent instance of its real-life application.

This was from the local/area headlines on Wednesday/Thursday, last week -

View attachment 25239

I sympathize with the man for not wanting go disarmed to a large public event, and I don't agree with the current law - but as a legal concealed-carry citizen, I do abide by it.

The lessons to be learned here have been covered in by many in this thread. I just wanted to show a recent instance of its real-life application.
Unfortunate on many levels.

Back