testtest

Social Camouflage: Blending In to Safely CCW

How would you define an "open cover shirt"?

Where I'm at most people over forty dress like they do all their shopping at Cabela's.

I went to an Audiology appointment one morning and every guy in the waiting room (3 of us) was wearing the same brand of cargo pants. The only difference was the color.
One of a Hawaiian, Flannel, Cotton Work, Tactical, or Fishing/Camo type

How would you define an "open cover shirt"?

Where I'm at most people over forty dress like they do all their shopping at Cabela's.

I went to an Audiology appointment one morning and every guy in the waiting room (3 of us) was wearing the same brand of cargo pants. The only difference was the color.
Today?

An untucked flannel shirt over the aforementioned DTC pants.

The EDC9 went unnoticed, as usual.

One of a Hawaiian, Flannel, Cotton Work, Tactical, or Fishing/Camo type
I wear open cover shirts all the time. Usually not flannel, tactical, camo or Hawaiian though. Usually just a button up shirt that's unbuttoned. No one knows. It's really not unusual. I ( and a lot of people) have always wore shirts like that even before we were carrying.

I wear open cover shirts all the time. Usually not flannel, tactical, camo or Hawaiian though. Usually just a button up shirt that's unbuttoned. No one knows. It's really not unusual. I ( and a lot of people) have always wore shirts like that even before we were carrying.
You wear nicer clothes than me 😊 but if I saw you in my grocery store with your shirt unbuttoned, I would put you in the carrying group. In my region of the country the open shirt over a T Shirt is a very common mode for people who carry.

You wear nicer clothes than me 😊 but if I saw you in my grocery store with your shirt unbuttoned, I would put you in the carrying group. In my region of the country the open shirt over a T Shirt is a very common mode for people who carry.
I wear wife beaters. Every day, under every shirt, no exceptions. If I was to not have a shirt over it I would look like Samuel L Jackson in that one movie. :p

I read an article somewhere about something called decision fatigue. The idea was that you minimize the amount of decisions that you have to make in a day so that you're not burned out by the time the important decisions come up. As part of the article they mentioned that Zuckerberg has several identical outfits that he wears on the day to day. Same shoes, same pants, same shirt, same hoody.

I think I had the idea before Zuckerberg. After the Army I worked in a factory we were required to wear a company uniform. It made life really simple. I didn't have to give any thought to what I was going to wear to work. After I left the first factory I went to work in another Factory and I went out and bought five identical sets of navy blue Dickies and that's what I wore to work every day.

So to make this looooooooong boring story really short, 7 or 8 years ago I decided to buy 7 pairs of Wrangler Cargo Pants and 10 black t-shirts. Then I went to the Goodwill in the good part of town and bought 7 Cabela's type camping shirts and that's what I wear. I hang them in the closet in sets like Garanimals and I just grab the next set every day.

I think I've said it before in this discussion but I blend right into the crowd in my town dressed like that. I also present the same image to the people around me every day. I try really hard not to give people a reason to take a second look at me

I read an article somewhere about something called decision fatigue. The idea was that you minimize the amount of decisions that you have to make in a day so that you're not burned out by the time the important decisions come up. As part of the article they mentioned that Zuckerberg has several identical outfits that he wears on the day to day. Same shoes, same pants, same shirt, same hoody.

I think I had the idea before Zuckerberg. After the Army I worked in a factory we were required to wear a company uniform. It made life really simple. I didn't have to give any thought to what I was going to wear to work. After I left the first factory I went to work in another Factory and I went out and bought five identical sets of navy blue Dickies and that's what I wore to work every day.

So to make this looooooooong boring story really short, 7 or 8 years ago I decided to buy 7 pairs of Wrangler Cargo Pants and 10 black t-shirts. Then I went to the Goodwill in the good part of town and bought 7 Cabela's type camping shirts and that's what I wear. I hang them in the closet in sets like Garanimals and I just grab the next set every day.

I think I've said it before in this discussion but I blend right into the crowd in my town dressed like that. I also present the same image to the people around me every day. I try really hard not to give people a reason to take a second look at me

^ Oh, this, I like!!! ----->

^ Consistency is my thing, too, @The Night Rider . :)

I also wanted to throw this out. When switched to wearing Wranglers/Camp. I was already mostly dressing in that same general style. I didn't make a huge wardrobe change all at once.

Also FWIW When Wrangler discontinued that style of Cargos I went to Walmart and bought every pair they had that fit me (maybe 8 pairs). So I never have to worry about what to wear when they wear out.

As I said, I have been dressing the same for a long time. Before I really started carrying daily. The only change I made is my jeans these days are Wrangler that are infused with spandex so I can wear the right size and still carry IWB very comfortably. Also helps for after dinner too. :)

As I said, I have been dressing the same for a long time. Before I really started carrying daily. The only change I made is my jeans these days are Wrangler that are infused with spandex so I can wear the right size and still carry IWB very comfortably. Also helps for after dinner too. :)
I to made a change in jeans moving from Levi’s to Wrangler for a variety of reasons, for one the Levi’s were getting to expensive and Wranglers offered a greater size variation as well as more belt loops to help with gun belts.

I to made a change in jeans moving from Levi’s to Wrangler for a variety of reasons, for one the Levi’s were getting to expensive and Wranglers offered a greater size variation as well as more belt loops to help with gun belts.
Plus Levi-Strauss is ardently anti-gun. I stopped giving them any of my money years and years ago.

Hello every one 1st post here. I've been a prison guard for 25 years. Ive listened too Inmates talking to other IMs. talking to guards, talking to me. In that time I have heard stories that just might be mostly true, some that might be true and a hole bunch that was pure grade A cow pies. I have never, ever heard an IM say that they made a cop or a concealed carry holder by their clothes or the logo on such. Never has one said that they targeted/ avoided a car because of bumper stickers, vanity plate, etal. The "Grayman" thing is just fine right up to the point of using it to discourage someone from living and enjoying life. If you get a kick out of "lets go Brandon" or " keep honking I'm reloading" bumper stickers have at it. If that NRA ILA hat or that S&W jacket is comfortable wear it. Fanny packs, ( really? your a man and wearing a fanny pack??????............ooookay) If that's how you choose to carry do your own time. Lets face it most people including, (and maybe especially so) criminals are so intent on themselves that they pay little or no attention to you and me no matter how special we think we are.

Hello every one 1st post here. I've been a prison guard for 25 years. Ive listened too Inmates talking to other IMs. talking to guards, talking to me. In that time I have heard stories that just might be mostly true, some that might be true and a hole bunch that was pure grade A cow pies. I have never, ever heard an IM say that they made a cop or a concealed carry holder by their clothes or the logo on such. Never has one said that they targeted/ avoided a car because of bumper stickers, vanity plate, etal. The "Grayman" thing is just fine right up to the point of using it to discourage someone from living and enjoying life. If you get a kick out of "lets go Brandon" or " keep honking I'm reloading" bumper stickers have at it. If that NRA ILA hat or that S&W jacket is comfortable wear it. Fanny packs, ( really? your a man and wearing a fanny pack??????............ooookay) If that's how you choose to carry do your own time. Lets face it most people including, (and maybe especially so) criminals are so intent on themselves that they pay little or no attention to you and me no matter how special we think we are.
This is mostly true. Until it isn't. Not all criminals are dumbasses. Nevertheless, I mostly agree with you, though I would have stopped short of the masculinity insult regarding fanny packs. At least for civility sake. I would never wear one around, but I do occasionally carry one with me in a car as a mini GHB. And I usually have one filled with 12 gauge shells on me at the range if I'm shooting shotguns.

Welcome to the forum by the way.

Interesting. Welcome aboard!

All I have to go by is my experience. My experience was in 2003 I put a political bumper sticker on my car and someone vandalized the car. The damage to the vehicle centered around the bumper sticker so I have to assume that's what drove it.

Similarly I've had people make comments on the logos on clothes I've worn, including one woman who chased me around Walmart prattling on endlessly about "Ralphie" (CU Buffs Mascot) because I was wearing a CU hat.

I've also watched random people give me the once over when I wore my NRA hat shopping at Walmart or to church.

My experience has also been that all that ended when I changed my style of dress.

When I'm out I observe the people around me and when I see a "tell" (Glock hat, Kimber logo on the shirt, Rigger belt, 5.11 pants) I look a little closer and I almost always "see" a gun. I'm certain I'm not the only person who does that. Someone on another forum said dressing like that sends a soft "quack" and I don't want to quack at people.

Now if you don't care if people know you're armed or that you're a gun guy that's fine, it's your life, dress how you want. But, understand that I do care and I choose not to advertise however obliquely.

Back