testtest

Social Camouflage: Blending In to Safely CCW

This is mostly true. Until it isn't. Not all criminals are dumbasses. Nevertheless, I mostly agree with you, though I would have stopped short of the masculinity insult regarding fanny packs. At least for civility sake. I would never wear one around, but I do occasionally carry one with me in a car as a mini GHB. And I usually have one filled with 12 gauge shells on me at the range if I'm shooting shotguns.

Welcome to the forum by the way.
Fanny pack and 12 gauge shooting / hunting game birds is my only way to go.
Everything has it’s purpose and where it works.
Hiking is another great use.
My family laughs at my REI fanny pack until I pull stuff out of it they need on the trail 2 miles from the car

All I have to go by is my experience. My experience was in 2003 I put a political bumper sticker on my car and someone vandalized the car. The damage to the vehicle centered around the bumper sticker so I have to assume that's what drove it.

Similarly I've had people make comments on the logos on clothes I've worn, including one woman who chased me around Walmart prattling on endlessly about "Ralphie" (CU Buffs Mascot) because I was wearing a CU hat.

I've also watched random people give me the once over when I wore my NRA hat shopping at Walmart or to church.

My experience has also been that all that ended when I changed my style of dress.

When I'm out I observe the people around me and when I see a "tell" (Glock hat, Kimber logo on the shirt, Rigger belt, 5.11 pants) I look a little closer and I almost always "see" a gun. I'm certain I'm not the only person who does that. Someone on another forum said dressing like that sends a soft "quack" and I don't want to quack at people.

Now if you don't care if people know you're armed or that you're a gun guy that's fine, it's your life, dress how you want. But, understand that I do care and I choose not to advertise however obliquely.

For sure there are places I don't park my truck. Not so much any more, but I used to have some political bumper stickers. I probably wouldn't park a car with a FJB sticker in the Shaw neighborhood or The Grove.

This is mostly true. Until it isn't. Not all criminals are dumbasses. Nevertheless, I mostly agree with you, though I would have stopped short of the masculinity insult regarding fanny packs. At least for civility sake. I would never wear one around, but I do occasionally carry one with me in a car as a mini GHB. And I usually have one filled with 12 gauge shells on me at the range if I'm shooting shotguns.

Welcome to the forum by the way.
You better believe that not all criminals are dumbasses! Spot On! As for the fanny pack comment that was intended to add a little humor into the conversation. I expected most people to get that, though I find at my age I'm out of step with the rest of the world more and more every day. Add to that the fact of spending years with the worst people that our society has to offer, the things that I and those like me find funny would (I hope) sicken most "normal" people. God Bless

Hello every one 1st post here. I've been a prison guard for 25 years. Ive listened too Inmates talking to other IMs. talking to guards, talking to me. In that time I have heard stories that just might be mostly true, some that might be true and a hole bunch that was pure grade A cow pies. I have never, ever heard an IM say that they made a cop or a concealed carry holder by their clothes or the logo on such. Never has one said that they targeted/ avoided a car because of bumper stickers, vanity plate, etal. The "Grayman" thing is just fine right up to the point of using it to discourage someone from living and enjoying life. If you get a kick out of "lets go Brandon" or " keep honking I'm reloading" bumper stickers have at it. If that NRA ILA hat or that S&W jacket is comfortable wear it. Fanny packs, ( really? your a man and wearing a fanny pack??????............ooookay) If that's how you choose to carry do your own time. Lets face it most people including, (and maybe especially so) criminals are so intent on themselves that they pay little or no attention to you and me no matter how special we think we are.
Welcome from North Texas.

Around here its not a big deal. We are a open carry state so a lot of the time a handgun is in full view. Saying that, at times that can bring on a host of other issues.

As I said, I have been dressing the same for a long time. Before I really started carrying daily. The only change I made is my jeans these days are Wrangler that are infused with spandex so I can wear the right size and still carry IWB very comfortably. Also helps for after dinner too. :)
I wear the Wrangler performance jeans and shorts (80%) of the time

Hi,

This is a fun thread. It's almost as much fun as a "wearing shorts on stage" thread on a bass player forum, right @Bassbob? :ROFLMAO:

How about some Noob EDC Ramblings? I'm an old guy so I tend to dress fairly conservatively, except when on stage. For @southtex, @The Night Rider, and @HansGruber, I thought "open cover shirt" would mean something un-tucked, like a polo shirt or square-tailed button-up shirt. Examples of my carry wardrobe:

AM-JKLURLmwKAfZbqrozKf4XaaYMQ_iugTxwKrRk4ZMTw-bbEC-zmppNkpP9P5cEpt5koGtMm7_R_20T-dLLM300sOawXEhj_vPOhrqM0k9-AVb2JeObkoZ1qaO-1wzfP2l061DXi9sncjz4MEX5fSZ6GHhlzQ=w1236-h927-no

I know patterns make better concealment than solid colors but I haven't had any issues.

AM-JKLV37PBMv8h2jOSS6QS_97lHRMB58CAZtEB6l77AujG4fss74-YbcVJ1XMnfXIdbnAM4H8nxe6WCyNJ-r16RJIA6k4sAAZtX62aibX1FEGTbn-YhWgdnkyoUrPg_lio5h6swUAIy2KxGT6RR7Dq6d0orfQ=w1236-h927-no

I have a few shirts like this that work very well.

AM-JKLVWx6uHxvyUkHzhJhEAWYREd6XCwm6tHgHVM61ODQeLn3bmrZVl1Y5jOouBDRm_AJpTZhjMP3kvWvPoeznXIjXaEKtsOHrEl80BaIv1l_pXk_9eSivt21R5k4h-fHkVSbDnAKIUOpvkirgIRhghmfkAqQ=w796-h873-no

AM-JKLXvk_WDN2qEZCzt9YjVOzzFwo0fIRdOw2I1sHk1RiY_E2TT5BRvOcE9j5fjRO4xZfzQ5RCVJA4aHtuKdtAlM26E5Ay47eW7U_kedh6rRgUFP_7ttbOyZl4nq9b6iOhdo728oNi2LH4S0pjyR1GhkDIB_g=w747-h927-no

But there are definitely shirts I won't wear because the draw is too cumbersome. The tails are too long, the shirt is too tight to defeat easily, etc. I also wear mostly jeans. My tech/tactical pants are reserved for the range, as are my gun logo shirts. In this neck of the woods it's better if you don't advertise simply because it's not a 2A friendly state.

I don't have any bumper stickers on my truck. My neighbor mentioned that once I move I might get some guff because of the CA license plate (like "Don't California my Texas"). Perhaps then I'll put my NRA sticker in the back window. ;)

Hey, thanks for letting me spout my ignorance. I appreciate all of you sharing your experiences.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Hi,

This is a fun thread. It's almost as much fun as a "wearing shorts on stage" thread on a bass player forum, right @Bassbob? :ROFLMAO:

How about some Noob EDC Ramblings? I'm an old guy so I tend to dress fairly conservatively, except when on stage. For @southtex, @The Night Rider, and @HansGruber, I thought "open cover shirt" would mean something un-tucked, like a polo shirt or square-tailed button-up shirt. Examples of my carry wardrobe:

AM-JKLURLmwKAfZbqrozKf4XaaYMQ_iugTxwKrRk4ZMTw-bbEC-zmppNkpP9P5cEpt5koGtMm7_R_20T-dLLM300sOawXEhj_vPOhrqM0k9-AVb2JeObkoZ1qaO-1wzfP2l061DXi9sncjz4MEX5fSZ6GHhlzQ=w1236-h927-no

I know patterns make better concealment than solid colors but I haven't had any issues.

AM-JKLV37PBMv8h2jOSS6QS_97lHRMB58CAZtEB6l77AujG4fss74-YbcVJ1XMnfXIdbnAM4H8nxe6WCyNJ-r16RJIA6k4sAAZtX62aibX1FEGTbn-YhWgdnkyoUrPg_lio5h6swUAIy2KxGT6RR7Dq6d0orfQ=w1236-h927-no

I have a few shirts like this that work very well.

AM-JKLVWx6uHxvyUkHzhJhEAWYREd6XCwm6tHgHVM61ODQeLn3bmrZVl1Y5jOouBDRm_AJpTZhjMP3kvWvPoeznXIjXaEKtsOHrEl80BaIv1l_pXk_9eSivt21R5k4h-fHkVSbDnAKIUOpvkirgIRhghmfkAqQ=w796-h873-no

AM-JKLXvk_WDN2qEZCzt9YjVOzzFwo0fIRdOw2I1sHk1RiY_E2TT5BRvOcE9j5fjRO4xZfzQ5RCVJA4aHtuKdtAlM26E5Ay47eW7U_kedh6rRgUFP_7ttbOyZl4nq9b6iOhdo728oNi2LH4S0pjyR1GhkDIB_g=w747-h927-no

But there are definitely shirts I won't wear because the draw is too cumbersome. The tails are too long, the shirt is too tight to defeat easily, etc. I also wear mostly jeans. My tech/tactical pants are reserved for the range, as are my gun logo shirts. In this neck of the woods it's better if you don't advertise simply because it's not a 2A friendly state.

I don't have any bumper stickers on my truck. My neighbor mentioned that once I move I might get some guff because of the CA license plate (like "Don't California my Texas"). Perhaps then I'll put my NRA sticker in the back window. ;)

Hey, thanks for letting me spout my ignorance. I appreciate all of you sharing your experiences.

BassCliff

Shorts on stage I'll do.

IIYFeuN.jpg

Sandals or barefoot on stage ( I don't wear sandals anywhere, ever) just screams D-bag though.

Hi,

It's nice to know you've got standards. :ROFLMAO:

I'll carry on stage, but I will not wear shorts. ;)

BassCliff
I have carried on stage. We used to play some pretty rough places. I've also used the headstock of that 1974 Rickenbacker like a lance and jabbed a guy right in his face with it on stage.

Back