testtest

Sports on TV

Formula 1 is very popular in Europe but you have to respect their decision to keep it safe. I enjoy watching the races on TV anyway, you see more “all” of the race and replay’s of the spectacular driving.

Yeah, I have been to a few Indycar races in person, and an IMSA race at Road America - but you always get a fuller picture of a race watching it on TV. The atmosphere and seeing and hearing the cars in person is cool though too, of course.

Yeah, I have been to a few Indycar races in person, and an IMSA race at Road America - but you always get a fuller picture of a race watching it on TV. The atmosphere and seeing and hearing the cars in person is cool though too, of course.
Indy races are awesome to watch. I’ve been a racing fan sense I was a young boy. Haven’t watched much of it this year tho been to busy with work and being at the range.

When I was born (in the 1940's), my dad was racing stock cars all up and down the east coast from Hialeah, Fl, to Ft. Erie, Canada. That was before NASCAR was even formed and it was much like an 'outlaw' circuit for hard core racers. It's often been said I cut my teeth on a 9/16" wrench in the pits of many short track 'bullrings'. He was a member of NASCAR in 1947 and actually raced on the old 'beach course' before Daytona Int. was built in 1969, but retired only a few years later.

Well, I grew up loving it and raced for a few years myself around many of the 'bullrings' in the southeast and still today love 'stock car' racing as much as I ever did. However, I no longer go to any of the big tracks like Daytona, 'Dega, or any of the 'cookie cutter' tracks. I would much rather watch any of those on a big screen TV from my recliner at home with a cold one on the table beside me. You can actually see so much more than being there in person. I still do however attend many local (and even some more distant) small tracks and still love it just as much as ever.

And for general info, there's much more to it than just turning left, going fast, and hurrying back. The driving requires much technical knowledge as well as physics. There's more geometric and physical calculations and design features in those cars than is taught in many schools. You have to be able to feel when the car will let you turn in to a turn, when to get off the gas, how hard to push into and around the turn, when you can get back in the gas and how much without spinning out, and how the air around you will affect your car and situation at all those times. I think only those who have 'been there and done that' can fully understand and appreciate all that goes into that simple turn left, go fast, and hurry back. If it were really as simple as some think, those guys wouldn't be making in the millions of $$$'s per year. There are no gauges or meters to tell the driver those things, he must be able to feel it in the seat of his pants and react accordingly. NASCAR still does not allow computers for traction control, skid avoidance, no ALB's, etc. I even hate the fact they eventually went to EFI rather than carbs and the stupid digital dash gauges.

All that being said, NASCAR and all other forms of auto racing except drag racing still appeal to me after all these years. Especially the "Whelen" modifieds and "Outlaw" figure 8's. I fully appreciate drags from the technical standpoint. It boggles my mind how they can get the HP out of those push rod engines they do without them exploding on ignition. And I fully recognize the expertise required of those drivers too. But that straight line racing just doesn't do it for me like 'rubbin' -n- racin' !!

Just this man's opinion ..... !!!

When I was born (in the 1940's), my dad was racing stock cars all up and down the east coast from Hialeah, Fl, to Ft. Erie, Canada. That was before NASCAR was even formed and it was much like an 'outlaw' circuit for hard core racers. It's often been said I cut my teeth on a 9/16" wrench in the pits of many short track 'bullrings'. He was a member of NASCAR in 1947 and actually raced on the old 'beach course' before Daytona Int. was built in 1969, but retired only a few years later.

Well, I grew up loving it and raced for a few years myself around many of the 'bullrings' in the southeast and still today love 'stock car' racing as much as I ever did. However, I no longer go to any of the big tracks like Daytona, 'Dega, or any of the 'cookie cutter' tracks. I would much rather watch any of those on a big screen TV from my recliner at home with a cold one on the table beside me. You can actually see so much more than being there in person. I still do however attend many local (and even some more distant) small tracks and still love it just as much as ever.

And for general info, there's much more to it than just turning left, going fast, and hurrying back. The driving requires much technical knowledge as well as physics. There's more geometric and physical calculations and design features in those cars than is taught in many schools. You have to be able to feel when the car will let you turn in to a turn, when to get off the gas, how hard to push into and around the turn, when you can get back in the gas and how much without spinning out, and how the air around you will affect your car and situation at all those times. I think only those who have 'been there and done that' can fully understand and appreciate all that goes into that simple turn left, go fast, and hurry back. If it were really as simple as some think, those guys wouldn't be making in the millions of $$$'s per year. There are no gauges or meters to tell the driver those things, he must be able to feel it in the seat of his pants and react accordingly. NASCAR still does not allow computers for traction control, skid avoidance, no ALB's, etc. I even hate the fact they eventually went to EFI rather than carbs and the stupid digital dash gauges.

All that being said, NASCAR and all other forms of auto racing except drag racing still appeal to me after all these years. Especially the "Whelen" modifieds and "Outlaw" figure 8's. I fully appreciate drags from the technical standpoint. It boggles my mind how they can get the HP out of those push rod engines they do without them exploding on ignition. And I fully recognize the expertise required of those drivers too. But that straight line racing just doesn't do it for me like 'rubbin' -n- racin' !!

Just this man's opinion ..... !!!

That is cool that both you and your dad raced. I bet those are some great memories going to races with your dad.

I haven't raced myself, but I've been to enough dirt track races (big fan of Sprint cars, among others) to get a large appreciate for oval racing. Side note, but when going to see a race in person I'd much rather it be an oval so I can see what's going on the whole time.

Agreed on drag racing - I can definitely appreciate it, but wheel to wheel action is where it's at for my taste.

"That is cool that both you and your dad raced. I bet those are some great memories going to races with your dad."
"..................."
"Agreed on drag racing - I can definitely appreciate it, but wheel to wheel action is where it's at for my taste."
Thanks for the comment. And yes, it made for many great memories, obviously why I love it like I do. When I was about 4-5-6 yrs old my step mom would hold me next to her in the stands when dad raced. She would always buy me one of the little 'checkered' flags so that I could flag the races from where we sat. I watched my dad like a hawk and made every lap he made.

When he won, he would pull to the starter's stand and my step mom would carry me down to the fence and hand me over to the flag man who would then hand me to my dad in through the side window. He'd make his V-lap with me sitting in his lap 'helping' him hold the real checkered flag out the window many times. The thing I remember most vividly, is how big the inside of his race car was. To a 5 yr old not understanding they had stripped everything out of the inside of a race car, it just really seemed strange to be that big (open) inside his car when our 'real' car seemed so small.

And BTW, that was back in the days when they typically towed their race cars behind a pick-up truck with a simple tow bar. Very few of them back then had enough $$$'s to own a hauler trailer.

And to keep this gun related, my dad passed away just a year ago and left me all his guns he had acquired over many years. Included in that was a (I think) 1950's vintage A-5 Browning 12 ga and an old 12 ga side by side. I believe it's an Iver Johnson, but well worn. There was also a grade 4 Browning semi-auto 30/06 and several old .22 cal rifles. One single shot, bolt action that his daddy, my grandpa bought for him in 1938 when he was 10. Paid something less than $30's for it and paid it off $1.50 per/week. Supposedly a few of those payments were made in trade for a qt of grandpa's 'shine' liquor. The little rifle is more than 90 yrs old right now and still drives tacks, although the extractor is showing some signs of wear and misses one every now and then. Then of course, so do I !!!

Good, good times !!!!

Long time Formula 1 fan here also. Always been a Ferrari fan but the team has too many internal issues, driver screw-ups, and performance issues this year. Getting a little boring due to Mercedes so F1 needs to even the playing field.

Also, prefer other road racing series such as DTM, WEC, and US IMSA.

BIG fan of the Aussie Supercars Championship for years, and the Bathurst 12 hour race at Mount Panorama.

IMO Indy cars are low-end go carts compared to F1. I see they now have covid screens on them this year.

NASCAR is too boring since they put the limiters on the cars. Round & round waiting for the inevitable big pile-up.

Also like the Euro Rally series especially when they run on snow.

Long time Formula 1 fan here also. Always been a Ferrari fan but the team has too many internal issues, driver screw-ups, and performance issues this year. Getting a little boring due to Mercedes so F1 needs to even the playing field.

Also, prefer other road racing series such as DTM, WEC, and US IMSA.

BIG fan of the Aussie Supercars Championship for years, and the Bathurst 12 hour race at Mount Panorama.

IMO Indy cars are low-end go carts compared to F1. I see they now have covid screens on them this year.

NASCAR is too boring since they put the limiters on the cars. Round & round waiting for the inevitable big pile-up.

Also like the Euro Rally series especially when they run on snow.

Ferrari fan here too, but really, what a mess this year.

I have pretty much lost all interest in watching sports on TV, about the only thing I watch occasionally, is golf.

Back