testtest

Springfield Armory Garrison 1911 Review

…My Ronin remains my favorite. Garrison is a likely second place candidate, since the Emissary kinda disappointed when I got to handle one in person…
i had mentioned in another thread some time ago, regarding the Emissary, that the Emissary may be a limited time run.

if so, then i am glad i got mine.

right now, with this introduction of this Garrison, is making me think, the Emissary will end sooner then i think.

i had mentioned in another thread some time ago, regarding the Emissary, that the Emissary may be a limited time run.

if so, then i am glad i got mine.

right now, with this introduction of this Garrison, is making me think, the Emissary will end sooner then i think.
Yeah, agree…Emissary is a fine 1911 I’m sure but I don’t think it was as big a hit as they hoped, for various reasons. Not the least of which is the ~ $1200 price tag…

Looks like a nice 1911. I am particularly thankful for the absence of the forward cocking serrations.

However that useless Novak rear sight will be replaced as soon as I get one of these. Novak sights simply do not belong on combat handguns. I wish they would use the same rear sight they use on the Ronin for all of their combat pistols. Or at least offer a choice.

Looks like a nice 1911. I am particularly thankful for the absence of the forward cocking serrations.

However that useless Novak rear sight will be replaced as soon as I get one of these. Novak sights simply do not belong on combat handguns. I wish they would use the same rear sight they use on the Ronin for all of their combat pistols. Or at least offer a choice.
While you're entitled to your opinion, the Novak rear sight is far, far from being useless.

It's one of the most popular fixed rear sights' available.

SA has other 1911 models with other rear sights, so one has other choices of rear sights.

Last edited:
fordag: is there anything particular of a technical nature that you dislike?
Reason I ask is, I’m replacing sights on my Tisas Carry .45…. interested in any opinions for/against the Novak clone it has (stock).

Not fordag but...

I've used the Novak rear/front fixed sight system for decades, on several different pistols including 1911's, and they are excellent.

I'll likely be sending a slide to Novak sometime soon to get a another set installed.

It speaks for itself since many have cloned the design .

fordag: is there anything particular of a technical nature that you dislike?
Reason I ask is, I’m replacing sights on my Tisas Carry .45…. interested in any opinions for/against the Novak clone it has (stock).
It's one simple reason. The Novak rear sight does not work for one handed slide manipulation. It's a nice smooth ramp that slides right off of your belt or boot or whatever you might press the rear sight up against to rack the slide with only one hand.

My personal view is that I carry a gun for my worst day. That may well include only having one hand to work the action, which can't reliably be done with a Novak rear sight.

There are several methods of racking a 1911 with one hand, without using a rear sight.

One of which, that is closest to using a rear sight, is using the ejection port off a stiff belt, holster, or other surface.

There are several methods of racking a 1911 with one hand, without using a rear sight.

One of which, that is closest to using a rear sight, is using the ejection port off a stiff belt, holster, or other surface.
Yes, that is true, but I find the rear sight to be the most reliable with a properly designed rear sight. It's very easy to miss with the ejection port. The ejection port also can require an awkward twisting of your hand.

Why is it impossible for SA to produce\sell a 1911 with front strap serrations? Not all of us live in cool low humidity environs. An ambi safety would also be nice. Sadly many ‘smiths in my area will not work on SAs so if I could find one, I would end up shipping it back for the front strap serrations and an ambi safety…just charge an extra $100 and save me the grief…is there any hope?

Why is it impossible for SA to produce\sell a 1911 with front strap serrations? Not all of us live in cool low humidity environs. An ambi safety would also be nice. Sadly many ‘smiths in my area will not work on SAs so if I could find one, I would end up shipping it back for the front strap serrations and an ambi safety…just charge an extra $100 and save me the grief…is there any hope?
SA has multiple 1911 pistols with front slide serrations. Also humidity does not render the rear slide serrations ineffective.

Edit. Yes I sure did misread that, however SA does also produce several 1911s with front strap serrations.

Last edited:
Back