testtest

Springfield Ronin EMP 4 Failure to Feed

"New gun owner" is a clue. In my experience, failure to fire is usually an ammo or gun failure, and failure to feed is due to out of spec ammo, damaged magazine, poor maintenance, or shooter induced malfunction. I have trained hundreds of officers with semi autos and have seen the problem many times over.

You seem to be on top of the lube and maintenance issue and it's a new gun. Let's eliminate the shooter induced question first, which is a grip issue and one of the most common causes of failure to feed or double feed. The recoil spring must compress enough during firing to store sufficient energy to return the slide sharply into battery. If your grip is not firm enough, the entire gun is recoiling and the recoil spring is not compressing fully. It has to have something solid to push against. It is so common that we have a name for it-"limp wristing". The average shooter will begin to lose their grip on the pistol after 3-4 rounds of centerfire ammo. Your statement that the trouble starts after 4 rounds or so is a flag to me. Insufficient lube, a dirty gun, or under powered or out of spec ammo can cascade the effect. The point at which guns will fail to feed from limp wristing varies from gun to gun and from shooter to shooter. I see it mostly with lighter weight polymer framed guns. Some guns that are temperamental to begin with are more susceptible. The simple test is to have an experienced shooter who is aware of what is going on run a couple magazines through the gun.

"New gun owner" is a clue. In my experience, failure to fire is usually an ammo or gun failure, and failure to feed is due to out of spec ammo, damaged magazine, poor maintenance, or shooter induced malfunction. I have trained hundreds of officers with semi autos and have seen the problem many times over.

You seem to be on top of the lube and maintenance issue and it's a new gun. Let's eliminate the shooter induced question first, which is a grip issue and one of the most common causes of failure to feed or double feed. The recoil spring must compress enough during firing to store sufficient energy to return the slide sharply into battery. If your grip is not firm enough, the entire gun is recoiling and the recoil spring is not compressing fully. It has to have something solid to push against. It is so common that we have a name for it-"limp wristing". The average shooter will begin to lose their grip on the pistol after 3-4 rounds of centerfire ammo. Your statement that the trouble starts after 4 rounds or so is a flag to me. Insufficient lube, a dirty gun, or under powered or out of spec ammo can cascade the effect. The point at which guns will fail to feed from limp wristing varies from gun to gun and from shooter to shooter. I see it mostly with lighter weight polymer framed guns. Some guns that are temperamental to begin with are more susceptible. The simple test is to have an experienced shooter who is aware of what is going on run a couple magazines through the gun.
👆👆👆👆👆👆👆

For what it is wroth, I have had to run many many rounds of ball ammo through my EMP3. You can cheat a bit and get a smith to fluff/buff as I hear that helps the cause, but the EMP 3 had some issues with feeding due to the short ramp. I read some random stuff about springs and/mag but I never had those issues once the break in period hits. Frustrating for sure given many new firearms eat anything you feed it, but thats part of the “fun.”

I hate aluminum. I bought three boxes of white box Blazer at Academy and wasn’t paying attention. Sure enough, I’d bought aluminum. I was going to fire it through a gun I don't really like, but I don’t own a Glock.
FF0C3C78-EBA7-48D8-8D86-C1E051174C8C.gif

New gun owner here. Sorry if I am not using correct terminology.

Has anyone experienced failure to feed with their new Springfield Ronin EMP in 4 inch barrel? I just received mine new last week. Went to my local shooting range with around 400 rounds. I was only able to shoot 100 rounds because the pistol kept failing to feed the cartridge into the barrel. I shot 50 rounds of Blazer brass FMJ and 50 rounds of Blazer aluminum.

I would load 4-9 rounds into the mag and rack it without any issues. No rounds sticking out or see anything out of the ordinary. When I go shoot it, Sometimes I can't.... unless I clear the chamber and rack a new round into the barrel. The gun will let me shoot 3-4 rounds and then fail to feed again. I experienced around 10-15 failures to feed out of 100 rounds trying to diagnose what's going on. The range master took a look at the gun and didn't see any issues with it. I'm not sure how to fix this issue or go about it. I'll try feeding the gun with other brands of ammo next week and see if it changes anything.
Just got the RONIN EMP 4”……….after 20 rounds, slide failed to lock open when the mag was empty.
Afterwards, 1st round would load, but would have a failure to feed the 2nd round.
Would also not eject the 1st spent round…it would stovepipe.
This happened repeatedly for 115 rounds (CCI BLAZER 115gr and FEDERAL AMERICAN EAGLE 115 gr)
Sent back to SA for a look:
2 problems…
- the slide attached to the barrel is rough and doesn’t let the round chamber
- the ejector pin (when taking down the gun, located at the left rear of the lower frame) would push against the rounds in the magazine (when loading the magazine)……causing the round to be displaced inferiorly (nose dive)…..which along with a rough barrel slide, would prevent loading of a new round.

Some people say that by using higher grain ammo (~150 gr) you overcome this.
SA will be polishing the feed ramp….failing this, a new barrel. The ejector will be adjusted.

Hopefully it doesn’t become an expensive paperweight.

Have pics of my EMP 4” after being broken down….
The Ejector pin (black horizontal metal piece on the lower frame)….usually stuck into the frame with 2 pins……looks like 1 of the pins is broken, allowing it to swivel…..sent to SA after only 115 rounds.

1650504518001.jpeg

1650504562642.jpeg

Great info, and hopefully SA will sort things out for you quickly.
I have had my new Ronin EMP3 for less than two weeks and have shot a variety of 115gr and 124gr new brass ammo (no reman.) including Fiocchi, Remington, Winchester, Norma, Federal, Hornady Critical Defense, and Aguila. In shooting just over 600 rounds, I have experienced 3 failures to feed with Federal premium law enforcement 124gr HP and 2 with Federal 147gr. Otherwise, my EMP has been very reliable and accurate.
I have noticed some roughness and milling marks on the bottom of the slide and hope this doesn’t cause any issues and that it will smooth out with more use. I’m cleaning the gun frequently for the first 1500 rounds and making sure it is well-lubed.
Can’t help but wonder if the more expensive EMP has a better fit and finnish than the Ronin version.🤔

Just got the RONIN EMP 4”……….after 20 rounds, slide failed to lock open when the mag was empty.
Afterwards, 1st round would load, but would have a failure to feed the 2nd round.
Would also not eject the 1st spent round…it would stovepipe.
This happened repeatedly for 115 rounds (CCI BLAZER 115gr and FEDERAL AMERICAN EAGLE 115 gr)
Sent back to SA for a look:
2 problems…
- the slide attached to the barrel is rough and doesn’t let the round chamber
- the ejector pin (when taking down the gun, located at the left rear of the lower frame) would push against the rounds in the magazine (when loading the magazine)……causing the round to be displaced inferiorly (nose dive)…..which along with a rough barrel slide, would prevent loading of a new round.

Some people say that by using higher grain ammo (~150 gr) you overcome this.
SA will be polishing the feed ramp….failing this, a new barrel. The ejector will be adjusted.

Hopefully it doesn’t become an expensive paperweight.
Interesting! Almost the exact situation with my new EMP 4. I was going to test out the new mags I bought from Springfield in hope that it's a mag problem. But, the new mags I purchased has been MIA in transit for the last 3 days. I was supposed to received it this Monday. I think I'm going to just reach out to Springfield and fail for a claim.

Interesting! Almost the exact situation with my new EMP 4. I was going to test out the new mags I bought from Springfield in hope that it's a mag problem. But, the new mags I purchased has been MIA in transit for the last 3 days. I was supposed to received it this Monday. I think I'm going to just reach out to Springfield and fail for a claim.
All my mags were original parts purchased from SA.
Have been reading up on this…apparently a common problem that the barrel feed ramp needs to be polished more.
Pretty well everyone has said that SA was able to restore reliability to 100% 🤞

Haven’t run into any problems with the feed ramp on my Ronin EMP3. That being said, I do intend to polish it with my Dremel using bullet shaped polishing tips and Flitz polish, just to keep things flowing, as it were. With the right tools, it is straightforward and easy, with plenty of instructional videos on YouTube, if necessary.

It appears that MANY people have the same problems with their RONIN EMPs….even after being sent out to SA……mine is still being worked on.

Sounds like the RONIN EMP has a design failure……???? class action time.
All my mags were original parts purchased from SA.
Have been reading up on this…apparently a common problem that the barrel feed ramp needs to be polished more.
Pretty well everyone has said that SA was able to restore reliability to 100% 🤞
I hope polishing does the
trick….however, look at how steep the feed ramp is into the barrel compared to other weapons; although all 1911’s are that steep.

Some people are saying to best use rounds that are more round (not CCI Blazer)…go up the ramp easier.

Pain if you have to analyze things this way…..instead of load & fire……if not reliable, will not use as a defense weapon.

I don't mean to sound heartless, but considering at any given time there are at least two threads going about multiple people having problems with SA 1911 type firearms I am finding it difficult not to be filled with ennui.

Still, I hope it works out for everyone.

Back