testtest

Squirrel Hunting Guide....

Boy did I get my butt whooped over a black squirrel 55 odd years ago when I was like 6. My grand uncle, closest thing to a grand parent I knew as a kid hated the black squirrels, they ate the pears on his tree more than others, or so he thought. He also thought they came across from Canada when the Blue Water bridge was built. He always called them those black bast****. Yeah you can see where this is headed.

Well there was a family, black family, who were the nicest people, they sure helped my fathers family eat, poor, during some rough times when he was young. I loved the old matriarch, he was the nicest man and my parents first house was bought from him.

Well one day there was a black squirrel in the side yard, and Mr. Johnson was out in his side yard, but I only saw the squirrel. I yelled at dad that there was a black bas**** outside in our yard. Dad looked and saw only Mr Johnson and boy did I get it...

Know this family today, and they are what I can only aspire to be...
And yes, I do see I messed up and said matriarch when I meant patriarch.

Well, I never really cared much for bear, and even less for racoon. Both are pretty greasy to me. Oh yeh, and I'm not real big on ducks either for the same reason. On the other hand, armadillo, especially young ones are a lot like fresh pork.
I knew a guy years back he could barbecue a duck no fatty taste at it was the best duck I ever eaten I think his secret was brining it first not sure

I fix wild duck breast from an old steakhouse recipe:
Soak in salt water in a baggie for 24 hours.
Then marinate another 24 hrs in Worcestershire, garlic, ginger powder, bay leaf, and some orange peel. Dash of soy. 1/4 cup red wine.

Sauce: 3 tablespoons raspberry jam and 2 cups of a hearty red wine like Cab or Merlot.
Bring to a slow simmer and reduce to a thicker sauce about 20 min

Pan fry duck over med low heat in a cast iron skillet with olive oil until med rare.

Plate duck and pour reduction sauce over the duck breast.View attachment 24582
Sounds like it might be worth a try .................... although I'm more partial to a simple fried meat in lard in a rocket hot cast iron skillet. As for the skunk that was asked about, there was a time in Boy Scouts when we needed to be creative and find a new source of protein. Well a poor young skunk just happened to be spotted and so for that night he was the target.

After a lot of gagging and eyes watering, he was finally skinned and ready for the pan to be split between about 4-5 of us. So in the grease he went ..... along with that sickening smell. 10 minutes, 15 minutes, 20 minutes, and it never changed, nor did the smell. So, we finally gave up on the pan frying and put his little morsel azz on some willow sticks and propped them up over the fire proper. Some while later they were all burned beyond recognition and looked much like little charcoal pieces on a stick and still smelled terrible.

Well, we all hem-hawed around, not wanting to actually put that foul, black charred stuff in our mouths, each daring the others to be the first ................... so in the end we all just threw away the skunk and ate the sticks. (y)(y)(y);)

I fix wild duck breast from an old steakhouse recipe:
Soak in salt water in a baggie for 24 hours.
Then marinate another 24 hrs in Worcestershire, garlic, ginger powder, bay leaf, and some orange peel. Dash of soy. 1/4 cup red wine.

Sauce: 3 tablespoons raspberry jam and 2 cups of a hearty red wine like Cab or Merlot.
Bring to a slow simmer and reduce to a thicker sauce about 20 min

Pan fry duck over med low heat in a cast iron skillet with olive oil until med rare.

Plate duck and pour reduction sauce over the duck breast.View attachment 24582
Killerford what time us dinner ?

No more hunting in the woods for me! Its either Albertsons or the base commissary.

When I was stationed in New Hampshire in the 70's a bunch of us used to get together every saturday morning and go tree rat hunting. We had a great time and on saturday night we had a great feast! Reading these posts brought back some memories.

I grew up on a farm in Central Illinois where we had these big fat red squirrels that got fat on all the nut trees we had, as well as the corn in our slat granary. My Dad loved squirrel and rabbit so he taught me to hunt and shoot at a young age. The lessons stuck. It was a special day when I brought home rabbits or squirrels, and my Mom had great recipes for them. Most of the adults from those days came up in the Depression and squirrels were a delicacy. All we have here in the Florida Panhandle are small gray squirrels and the Sherman Fox Squirrel, which is endangered and protected. The Fox squirrels can grow to 3 pounds, and are often black in color.

1648400772690.png

Sometime back there was a thread about hunting in general and I told how I enjoyed a good early morning squirrel hunt and then a late afternoon squirrel smother fried dinner.

I think at the time I said I considered the squirrel the biggest small game, and/or the smallest big game animal to hunt there was. Either way the squirrel hunt is one of my two favorite hunts.

Today, I'll stand by both those statements !!!

Well, I never really cared much for bear, and even less for racoon. Both are pretty greasy to me. Oh yeh, and I'm not real big on ducks either for the same reason. On the other hand, armadillo, especially young ones are a lot like fresh pork.
I have ate a great variety of critters over the years, many that most folks would choke just thinking about eating. Raccoon, possum, snakes, coyote, groundhog and even a bobcat, but you would get me to eat the a&& out of a live grizzly bear before you would get me to eat an armadillo. Never seen them around this part of Mo. until the last 5-10 years, nastiest looking things I've seen, possum aint got nothing on an armadillo in the nasty department.

I have ate a great variety of critters over the years, many that most folks would choke just thinking about eating. Raccoon, possum, snakes, coyote, groundhog and even a bobcat, but you would get me to eat the a&& out of a live grizzly bear before you would get me to eat an armadillo. Never seen them around this part of Mo. until the last 5-10 years, nastiest looking things I've seen, possum aint got nothing on an armadillo in the nasty department.
What part of Mo. is that?

They've been one of the main visions of roadkill in this part of Mo. for at least a decade now.

Back