testtest

Suppressors: Are They Worth the Trouble?

An NFA item (SBR's, Suppressor, etc that require a tax stamp) cannot be out of your possession. No one can ever borrow it. Other people can only use it under your direct supervision, i.e. you standing right behind them.

If something happens to you, no one can inherit it without doing all the paper work to transfer the tax stamp within 30 days. (correct me where I'm wrong on the details).

If something happens to you, and your family members have no idea what that NFA item is and what is required for them to possess it, and they inherit it by default. You just made your family members a Felon 30 days later and they never knew it.

If circumstance ever come up where you need to leave your NFA with someone for safe keeping, and they do happen and sometimes in circumstance that don't allow the time to complete the processes, you can't do it without committing a felony.
An NFA item can be used and transported in legal areas by those on the trust who have been permitted in that trust with the settlor.
If you put your wife in the trust with her fingerprints and background check done , she can use the nfa item as well without you present.

Going through an organization like Silencer Shop will help with all the paperwork. You can purchase a trust from them for like $25 and it gets electronically sent to the ATF. Many local gun shops also have Silencer Shop kiosks where you can download your photo from your phone and you can do your fingerprints right at the kiosk. The process is pretty simple. You can also do a trust and have only yourself as the responsible person. After you are approved you can add someone else, but you don’t have to initially.

eForm 4 times right now are around 7 months. Not near as quick as the ATF initially stated. I’m over 7 months on my first suppressor that I bought. I have another that’s been waiting for about 6 months.
My silencershop experience and delays on their end was atrocious .

I ended up going structly thru my LGS who can file direct with ATF after a 90 day delay from SS.
I’ll never use them again. Ever !

An NFA item can be used and transported in legal areas by those on the trust who have been permitted in that trust with the settlor.
If you put your wife in the trust with her fingerprints and background check done , she can use the nfa item as well without you present.
Thanks, I hadn't finished that post when Rino77 posted with questions, never went back and finished it.

But you said exactly what I intended to finish with. You can avoid all these problems by setting up a trust.

And the inheritance, especially NFA items, it really settles things ahead of time and keeps your family members legal. I hope no NFA owner would be so irresponsible to not inform their family members about the NFA and the requirements to transfer it for ownership or destroy it informing the ATF or its a felony. Kids box up dad's stuff after he's gone, having no idea what a SBR or Suppressor is, take it home and have no idea they are committing a felony.

A standard velocity 9mm will always be louder than a standard velocity .45acp because a standard velocity 9mm break the sound barrier negating some of the sound reduction. I mostly shoot subsonic loads through my suppressors. A dedicated center-fire pistol or rifle suppressor will most likely only give a minor decibel reduction difference vs a multiple caliber suppressor.
That's why I keep my multi caliber pistol suppressor mounted on my .45 ACP pistol - it's very quiet. I do have a dedicated .22 LR/ .22 Magnum suppressor that bounces between a LR pistol and a Magnum carbine - it works quite well. My 7.62 and 5.56 NATO rifle share a .30 caliber suppressor - it works very well, and the 7.62 NATO subsonic that I shoot is Hollywood quiet.

Going through an organization like Silencer Shop will help with all the paperwork. You can purchase a trust from them for like $25 and it gets electronically sent to the ATF. Many local gun shops also have Silencer Shop kiosks where you can download your photo from your phone and you can do your fingerprints right at the kiosk. The process is pretty simple. You can also do a trust and have only yourself as the responsible person. After you are approved you can add someone else, but you don’t have to initially.

eForm 4 times right now are around 7 months. Not near as quick as the ATF initially stated. I’m over 7 months on my first suppressor that I bought. I have another that’s been waiting for about 6 months.
Yeah, we have a Silencer Shop at the place I buy guns, was looking for information about having others on it to avoid problems later on. I guess someone there can help with questions as I fill it out. Thanks

That's why I keep my multi caliber pistol suppressor mounted on my .45 ACP pistol - it's very quiet. I do have a dedicated .22 LR/ .22 Magnum suppressor that bounces between a LR pistol and a Magnum carbine - it works quite well. My 7.62 and 5.56 NATO rifle share a .30 caliber suppressor - it works very well, and the 7.62 NATO subsonic that I shoot is Hollywood quiet.

Oh yeah, it was worth the trouble.

If you already have an NFA item (& have for decades), can you still set up a trust so that it can be inherited w/o the hassle? How would you go about it? And if you have another person on the trust, could you decide to sell it instead, & if you did, would you need the other person's permission, & would you be required to split the money?

I find it very strange all the BS we have to go through with suppressors in the US, when there are far more firearms-restrictive countries that actually encourage people to use them, and its actually regarded as being considerate at the range, as well as in the field.

With a trust, if you pass away, the NFA item can pass to those in the trust

Individual, when you pass, it must be forfeited back to the govt
There's the option to Form 5 an inherited NFA item if the NFA item isn't in a trust so you don't have to forfeit the item back to the gov. Though a trust is a much simpler way of guaranteed compliance for the person inheriting with the NFA item and it eliminates a lot of unnecessary risk for your family.

If you already have an NFA item (& have for decades), can you still set up a trust so that it can be inherited w/o the hassle? How would you go about it? And if you have another person on the trust, could you decide to sell it instead, & if you did, would you need the other person's permission, & would you be required to split the money?
Well a trust is very easy to setup. Pay a website $50, get all the paperwork emailed to you in a PDF that you can print out and get the trustee's to sign in front of a Notary. Or go to a local lawyer.

As far as the state is concerned, its a Power of Attorney for the firearms. So it can be done after the fact for none NFA items. There is a page with a list of firearms in the trust, and it is notarized, so if you add firearms to the trust, you do have to go back to the notary. ATF is not going to recognize that you gave someone power of attorney for your NFA item, that person has to go through the same process and have the same things on record as you do, then they'll recognize the Trust for an NFA item.

But doing a trust alone does nothing to clear the trustee's with the ATF, that have to have all the paper work and background check that you do, to share the tax stamp (only one person has to actual pay for the tax stamp).

I only know of the process to apply for a tax stamp with a trust ahead of time and not after the fact. And in that process, you already have the trust. You upload a scanned copy of it (Minus the page that lists the firearms, they don't need it, so why give it to the ATF). Then you upload scanned copies of each trustee's forms, the same as you have to upload for yourself.

So you'll probably have to ask someone better in the know or the ATF, it might be on their website, there is probably another form number or a way to re-apply for the same tax stamp to include your trust. It is safe to assume, what ever that process is, it will include that you will have to deliver all the paper for each trustee that you had to for yourself. The signed questionnaire form, a Passport type Photo, the Fingerprint Card.

My son is active duty and stationed in California, I live in Maryland, nearly as anti-gun as California. California has their silly safety roster, that they keep the latest version of firearms illegal to purchase, cause you know its always safer to keep newer improved designs that are general safer than the earlier versions off the market, to improve safety.:cautious: No its not a pre-text to hassle gun owners.:cautious:

Maryland passed laws making gun owners responsible for any that happens with the gun they own, i.e. someone uses your gun shoots someone, you'll be a co-conspirator and accessory. And how they can't be out of your possession, etc... Pretty vague, but the general consensus its a big risk to lend someone your firearm or to leave a firearm with someone or safe keeping....

So my son got a new Glock Gen5, California only allows you to own Gen3 or earlier, and active duty isn't exempt, State Employee's are exempt, not State Law Enforcement, all state employees including desk clerks at the DMV.

We did a Gun Trust, so its covers us both, for him leaving his Glock Gen 5 with me in my Safe.

My son is active duty and stationed in California, I live in Maryland, nearly as anti-gun as California. California has their silly safety roster, that they keep the latest version of firearms illegal to purchase, cause you know its always safer to keep newer improved designs that are general safer than the earlier versions off the market, to improve safety.:cautious: No its not a pre-text to hassle gun owners.:cautious:

Maryland passed laws making gun owners responsible for any that happens with the gun they own, i.e. someone uses your gun shoots someone, you'll be a co-conspirator and accessory. And how they can't be out of your possession, etc... Pretty vague, but the general consensus its a big risk to lend someone your firearm or to leave a firearm with someone or safe keeping....

So my son got a new Glock Gen5, California only allows you to own Gen3 or earlier, and active duty isn't exempt, State Employee's are exempt, not State Law Enforcement, all state employees including desk clerks at the DMV.

We did a Gun Trust, so its covers us both, for him leaving his Glock Gen 5 with me in my Safe.
Wow, am I reading this right? State LE are NOT exempt ... but a DMV clerk is exempt or some desk jockey at the public works department!

Wow, am I reading this right? State LE are NOT exempt ... but a DMV clerk is exempt or some desk jockey at the public works department!
No, I may have confused it by emphasizing how ridiculous it is. State LE is exempt, they can buy the latest Glocks and other pistols, that is not to unreasonable, but the law says all state employee's, so that includes DMV clerks. I meant, "NOT just LE State Employees, but all state employees including"... But the law does not exempt Federal Employee's or Active Duty Military.

State Employee's are allowed to sell their new Glocks and other pistols to other citizens that are banned from buying them, to citizens. You can get one of the banned pistols as gift from family out of state also.

But, they put a retired cop in jail for selling too many pistols. I don't know all the details but the news article certainly made it sound like the prosecutors, jury and judge convicted him of violating the law, despite there being no stipulation in the law that he violated. There is nothing in the law saying state employee's have a limit on the number of banned pistols they can buy and resell. But they said he sold too many and was acting like a dealer, and the jury agreed and convicted him merely on the notion he took it too far.

My silencershop experience and delays on their end was atrocious .

I ended up going structly thru my LGS who can file direct with ATF after a 90 day delay from SS.
I’ll never use them again. Ever !
Hey @KillerFord1977, sorry to hear your experience didn't go smoothly, generally customer can go from purchased to certified in just a few weeks, 90 days is an inordinate amount of time and should not be the case. I'll send you a message to follow up and get more info on this. - Chase

Yeah, we have a Silencer Shop at the place I buy guns, was looking for information about having others on it to avoid problems later on. I guess someone there can help with questions as I fill it out. Thanks
Howdy, @Rhino77. Since your local shop has a kiosk the process is pretty simple. You can add everything the suppressor, tax stamp, and trust (if you choose) to your cart, select your local Powered by Silencer Shop dealer, and we will transfer the item to them free of charge. You can then use then fill out your registration info in your Silencer Shop profile, use the kiosk at your shop to submit your fingerprints, and upload a photo using your Silencer Shop app. Then our Compliance team will prepare the forms and check for accuracy, and after you certify the application it is sent off to the ATF for processing. We'd be happy to answer any questions. - Chase

Dude, you might want to re-read my post. Particularly this part.

"I may get a suppressor. AFTER they are no longer regulated. EVEN THEN I don't see me paying $500 for one. I might make one."

Where in this sentence do I in any way intimate that I am willing to break the law to build my own suppressor? I could give two :poop:s about a suppressor. I clearly said AFTER they were no longer regulated I would still not drop big money on one. AFTER they were no longer regulated I MAY just build my own. It's really bad form to suggest people are saying they would break federal law on an open internet forum when they clearly aren't saying that at all.

Let me be even more clear. I don't care about anything the government regulates under the NFA enough to register it and pay the tax. I am not interested in short barreled rifles and I am not interested in suppressors. Frankly I don't care about the new brace rules either since I have never liked a brace. I'd rather hold the tube against my cheek. Nevertheless, it is ridiculous government over reach and I oppose it vehemently. I am also not all that excited about full auto. I have shot other people's LEGALLY POSSESSED fully automatic rifles. Yeah it's fun for about 37 seconds, but I see little practicality in it. That said, it's ridiculous that the government is able to prohibit it.
Sorry if I offended you. But no it wasn't absolutely clear that you would make one only after they were no longer regulated. It was its own stand alone sentence. Your expressed disinterest in the subject might indicate you don't know that much about it. It was simply a warning, if you didn't know, getting caught with any kind of home made suppressor that is not NFA tax stamped, will get you in big legal trouble.

Back