testtest

Taurus G3C 9mm FTF issue

@ghosttwofive - any update? My more gun savvy brother is going to come in town during Christmas and give the feed ramp a look. Wondering if you’ve had the chance to try the sandpaper trick. If so how’s it go? Tips?
I did try it, no change at all, still jamming on the HST ammo. There's something about that barrel that the HST just doesn't like. Sorry for the slow response, my wife got diagnosed with COVID this last weekend so I've been making arrangements for my sons to stay at my parents' place while I dig a moat around our house and take care of her...lol

Interesting but completely unrelated story. Last Friday night I went Christmas shopping after work, stopped by my local gun shop that I frequent to pick up something for my dad. The owner, Tim, had somehow gotten his hands on some .40 cal actual Winchester Black Talon 180 grain....the real deal. I got a good deal on it, I've bought several handguns from him over the years so he gave me a really good price. The box was sealed up, the rounds look brand new. Not going to use them or anything but I like it that I have a box of such infamous ammo...lol

I did try it, no change at all, still jamming on the HST ammo. There's something about that barrel that the HST just doesn't like. Sorry for the slow response, my wife got diagnosed with COVID this last weekend so I've been making arrangements for my sons to stay at my parents' place while I dig a moat around our house and take care of her...lol

Interesting but completely unrelated story. Last Friday night I went Christmas shopping after work, stopped by my local gun shop that I frequent to pick up something for my dad. The owner, Tim, had somehow gotten his hands on some .40 cal actual Winchester Black Talon 180 grain....the real deal. I got a good deal on it, I've bought several handguns from him over the years so he gave me a really good price. The box was sealed up, the rounds look brand new. Not going to use them or anything but I like it that I have a box of such infamous ammo...lol
Dang it - sorry to hear about your wife. We’ll keep positive well wishes going out. Hopefully it’s something that simply runs it’s course and is gone in a week or so.
I found some hornady critical duty and critical defense at grabagun.com (where I also bought the gun from) and felt like I should have bought the whole lot. Left some for someone else to try. I still have to clean the gun before I run these through it. I’ll let you know how it goes.
Best wishes for yalls covid battle.

Dang it - sorry to hear about your wife. We’ll keep positive well wishes going out. Hopefully it’s something that simply runs it’s course and is gone in a week or so.
I found some hornady critical duty and critical defense at grabagun.com (where I also bought the gun from) and felt like I should have bought the whole lot. Left some for someone else to try. I still have to clean the gun before I run these through it. I’ll let you know how it goes.
Best wishes for yalls covid battle.
I appreciate that very much. You stay safe out there.

Okay, well I'm going to post what I hope will be a final resolution to this issue and the rabbit hole goes even deeper. On Friday December 11th, having tried several fixes but none successful as far as solving the HST ammo jam issue, I called Taurus customer service, had about a 10 minute conversation with a very knowledgeable rep who listened, repeated the issue back to me that I was having, gave me a ticket number and asked me to send the handgun back to them. This is my only gripe about the whole process, is that I had to pay $50.00 to ship it two day Fed-Ex to them, but in the end it was worth it. So, I got it shipped out at around noon on Friday the 11th, it was accepted first thing Monday morning the 14th. Thursday the 17th I got a notice that it had been inspected, repaired, and was being prepared to ship back to me via Fed-Ex.........but with no information on what they had done. I was a bit skeptical, actually I was very skeptical, I didn't get the email until after they closed on Wednesday so I called them first thing Thursday morning and asked for the same rep who was, to my amazement, actually available. She looked up my ticket number, confirmed what I had stated about the barrel and the ammo FTF issue, and stated they had replaced, get this, replaced the slide catch, replaced the slide catch spring, and made an adjustment to the slide............no mention of the barrel whatsoever. I verified with the rep that the barrel checked out ok, politely ended the conversation then just sulked at the fact that once again, customer service is a thing of the past and that I could fully expect my Taurus G3C to jam just as it had before i sent it back to them. So, again surprisingly, Fed Ex delivered my pistol back this last Saturday morning around 10am, quick shipping from Bainbridge, GA. I got the handgun out of the box, noticed it had definitely been fired, I cleaned it before I sent it to them, so definitely had been test fired. I'm no gunsmith, that's for damn sure, but I didn't notice anything different in the internals, just that it needed cleaned, which I did. After getting it all broken down, cleaned, oiled, and put back together, I put 15 rounds of HST 147 grain in one of my 15 round extended mags, locked the slide back, hit the slide release, got ready to laugh snarkily and...........the first HST round cycled perfectly......as did the 2nd, the 3rd, all the way up to and including the last round. I quickly loaded a 12 round magazine from a different box of HST rounds........all 12 cycled perfectly and without issue. I then loaded up 6 magazines, 2 15-round ones and 4 12-round mags with a vast assortment of Federal HST, American Eagle FMJ, Winchester Silver Tips, Hornady, Remington Golden Sabre, and Speer. All of it was 147 grain....6 mags, no malfunctions at all. I did this obsessively over the next couple of hours, trying to make something jam but I could not. so, much to my surprised, they fixed it.....now my question to the many more gunsmith savvy members here is....HOW WAS THE PROBLEM NOT BARREL RELATED???????? I mean, they HAD to have done something to the barrel, didn't they? If I put the G3C barrel into the G2C, I no longer have the issue with HST rounds jamming in the G2C which I did before I sent the handgun off for repair. Possibly they didn't notate something they did to the barrel? Am I taking crazy pills here?...lol. Don't get me wrong, I'm thrilled the issue is fixed but I had really done a lot of testing to arrive at the conclusion it was something barrel related. The slide catch and catch spring never even entered into my mind......anyway, just wanted to post some closure to this topic, this one will keep me shaking my head for a while. Going to take it to the range this weekend and sacrifice some hollow points to make sure it actually works ok, but it's cycling just fine now. Thanks for all the tips and info everyone posted, I really appreciate it. Kudos to Taurus warranty repair, with the exception of high shipping cost of the weapon, they were top notch all the way from start to finish.

Post note.....I sacrificed fifty rounds of HST at the range last weekend thru my G3C......not even a hint at a jam. Still shaking my head about it but the issue seems to be resolved.
Hi, new tot he forum. I just bought a G3C a couple weeks ago. Took it to the range and it ate every FMJ round I fed it. I don't like to carry it with FMJ and had bought the same ammo from Federal you noted you had issues with. I too have a G2 but the G2S version. Liked it so much I bought the G3C for my EDC. But like you it fails to feed the first round of Federal HST. Hanging up on the lip of the barrel. I did discover though, if I only load it to 10 rounds it cycles them just fine. Thankfully the G2S has not shown any issue at all with the Federal HST.
Like you my gun is well cleaned and lubed. I called Taurus and the woman mentioned only using SAAMI rated ammo. I could not figure out if the Federal was or not. I am attaching some photos showing what happened. Maybe confirm you had this happen as well.
I sent Taurus an email with these same photos. I will see what they recommend to me as well. I did not change the barrel with my G2S as you did.
Keep us up to date on the issue and I will do the same.

Attachments

• 20210114_145332.jpg
    20210114_145332.jpg
    687.5 KB · Views: 314
  • 20210114_145341.jpg
    20210114_145341.jpg
    295.7 KB · Views: 273
  • 20210114_145420.jpg
    20210114_145420.jpg
    301.1 KB · Views: 246
  • 20210114_145424.jpg
    20210114_145424.jpg
    298.8 KB · Views: 254
  • 20210114_150138.jpg
    20210114_150138.jpg
    1,019.8 KB · Views: 254
Hi, new tot he forum. I just bought a G3C a couple weeks ago. Took it to the range and it ate every FMJ round I fed it. I don't like to carry it with FMJ and had bought the same ammo from Federal you noted you had issues with. I too have a G2 but the G2S version. Liked it so much I bought the G3C for my EDC. But like you it fails to feed the first round of Federal HST. Hanging up on the lip of the barrel. I did discover though, if I only load it to 10 rounds it cycles them just fine. Thankfully the G2S has not shown any issue at all with the Federal HST.
Like you my gun is well cleaned and lubed. I called Taurus and the woman mentioned only using SAAMI rated ammo. I could not figure out if the Federal was or not. I am attaching some photos showing what happened. Maybe confirm you had this happen as well.
I sent Taurus an email with these same photos. I will see what they recommend to me as well. I did not change the barrel with my G2S as you did.
Seems like the same issue for sure. Taurus’ resolve is to go to the range and shoot 200rds non-hp and that will wearin the feed ramp....I got some Fiocchi Hp and Hornady flex tip and only had this happen if I put in all 12 rds in the mag.
Good luck. Picky little gun isn’t it.

I don't have enough experience with it (or any gun of this type) to know if it's picky or not. Honestly if you watch YouTube you see as many complaints like this about Glock, Sig, and many other high priced options. This is my 3rd Taurus. I have a 4" barrel .357 revolver that I can drive tacks with, my G2S which honestly has been a gem and now the G3C. This is the only issue I have seen. Now it COULD have been a HUGE issue for me as I don't like to carry with one in the pipe. So for now until I get a resolution when I carry this one it'll be with one in the pipe or I will only load my mags to 10rds or do a 10+1 config. I do want to watch this for further info. Plus I do have a request into Taurus with photos. I will report back what I find. Though honestly I think I have only put MAYBE 75 to 100 rds through it. Maybe 125? Stuff is so much money right now it's a damned if you do damned if you don't situation.

Your pics look very familiar to me...lol, a couple of posts above yours, I posted a long winded explanation of sending my handgun back to Taurus where they did everything except work on the barrel. They did some modifications to the slide, slide spring, and sent it back....and, although I'm still not sure exactly why, it's now cycling HST without issue....weird deal.

Well now they have said I can send it back in for repair BUT I have to cover cost of shipping to them. If it was older I would be ok with it but it's not even 2 weeks old and they are asking ME to spent $50 to ship to them?! Had I known this is their repair policy perhaps Taurus would not have been top of my purchase list for my last 2 purchases. I have sent them another message expressing my displeasure with this and will report back how they respond

Well now they have said I can send it back in for repair BUT I have to cover cost of shipping to them. If it was older I would be ok with it but it's not even 2 weeks old and they are asking ME to spent $50 to ship to them?! Had I known this is their repair policy perhaps Taurus would not have been top of my purchase list for my last 2 purchases. I have sent them another message expressing my displeasure with this and will report back how they respond

Don’t mean to be a **** but with just a small amount of research you probably would t have bought one anyway. By the time you pay to ship it both ways and the headache you’ve spent enough money to buy one that doesn’t have a reputation for issues.
That said, I hope you get your problems resolved brother.

Don’t mean to be a **** but with just a small amount of research you probably would t have bought one anyway. By the time you pay to ship it both ways and the headache you’ve spent enough money to buy one that doesn’t have a reputation for issues.
That said, I hope you get your problems resolved brother.
Honestly I saw "issues" being posted on every review of every brand I considered. I don't think there is such a thing as one "without issues". I have 2 other Taurus guns both absolutely flawless in operation. I had no reason to believe this G3C would be different. And truly it's very nice. My issue is not with the "problem" I am seeing it's with how Taurus is handling the remedy.
I also think this is more wide spread of an issue than with only Taurus. Otherwise I would not see so many YouTube videos on how to polish your feed ramp and chamber for issues feeding defense type ammo for all different brands of guns. I did a search and found as many folks having this with Glock, Sig, Canik, S&W and so on.
So I'll wait and see what the Taurus rep tells me. Until then I will either A not carry full mags, or B simply carry my G2S.

Well who am I to tell you what kind of gun to carry. Good luck.
It's no worry. Not taken that way at all. Everyone has a fav something or other. Example, only cars I buy are Toyota. Why? They just flat work. Do they need work sometimes sure but overall I know I can count on them. I was truly saving up to buy a SigP365 as my second carry weapon. But after all my research on the foibles people noted about the Sig I just could not justify spending twice what I spent on the Taurus.
I am going to polish the feed ramp and chamber plus shoot it some more. I will see if anything there helps. The tech rep at Taurus suggested as well that until I have about 250 rounds minimum through it wait to judge if it's not functioning correctly. Perhaps that is why the G2S functions perfectly is I have put about 500 rounds through it now

So here is an update. Yesterday I took the G3C to the range with both my carry ammo and regular range ammo. To date I have re-cleaned and oiled the gun well. Went to the range and it handled 2 mags full of the Federal HST with no issue. Put another box of regular range ammo through it as well. Everything went perfectly not a single misfeed or failure to go into battery on the HST or range ammo.
Take it home and went to put it away ready in my nightstand and I get a failure to go into battery. So, I am thinking it may need more break in. Talked with the range owner asked if he'd seen this type of thing happen with new weapons not just Taurus re range ammo vs carry.
He told me he sees it all the time with all different brands. With them needing in some cases 500 rds put through.
May order a box of Hornady Critical Defense and try that as they don't have that large open "throat" on the projectiles

Mine had to go back - the issue with my taurus G3c was the chamber - specifically the throat - was too short - to the point it was having issues. I'm reasonably certain they throated my barrel - but even still when plunk testing ammunition (take the barrel out of the slide - put a round in - see if it will spin without catching the leade/rifling - then invert it and see if the cartridge will fall free from it's own weight.) Mine failed the plunk test before - it still fails it and hangs up on even ball ammo as well as hollow points. If you took your $50 to a gunsmith and got the throat reamed I think a lot of the issues would go away.

Interesting idea. Since I have both apart for cleaning I took one of my Federal HST rounds and dropped it into both barrels. It dropped in and fell out. Also your situation doesn't explain the failure to go into battery when installing a full mag into an empty gun.
I think rather than carry the G3C I will break it in more and carry the G2S instead until I am convinced that the G3 will not fail to go into battery or I have had to actually send it away.
I will be updating this post as things progress

Back