testtest

Taurus G3C 9mm FTF issue

When you put the g2c and g3c barrels side by side is there any visible difference in the feed ramp as far as angle or length goes ? Can you post some pics?
I did a pretty thorough inspection on both barrels, and other than the serial numbers, I could not find any cosmetic or structural differences. The outer coating on the barrels seems a tad different but other than they they look identical.

The HST and HST Micro are the same length. Maybe a tiny bit different but not that I can measure visually. I think the difference is in the engineering of the round not the size. The shape looks to be roughly the same too.
Thanks. I was curious if the nosecone might be different, that's the part that seems to "nosedive" into the feed ramp on my G3C.

I just got my G3c and haven't shot it yet, but having the same jamming issues using SIG V-Crown 124 gr. Have no issues with my FMJ rounds feeding thru. Store employee told me when I picked it up, that they come real dry and oil it real good(which i did). Its my only 9mm so don't have any other carry ammo yet. Anybody have any experience on which carry ammo has not gave them any trouble feeding the G3C and trusted to carry?

o

I just got my G3c and haven't shot it yet, but having the same jamming issues using SIG V-Crown 124 gr. Have no issues with my FMJ rounds feeding thru. Store employee told me when I picked it up, that they come real dry and oil it real good(which i did). Its my only 9mm so don't have any other carry ammo yet. Anybody have any experience on which carry ammo has not gave them any trouble feeding the G3C and trusted to carry?

o
I would use hornady critical defense. It has much narrower nose and it has the polymer filled hollow that supposedly performs better than other hollow points. No ftf with that and still have ftf with the crown. The v crown has very sharp edges and much larger diameter of the hole.

I would get me another barrel that works and not worry about the serial numbers matching... I would rather do that than change up my ccw ammo.

It takes so little for a gun to hate a certain ammo. Bullet shape, length, ramp design, etc. If one thing is off, it could mess up everything. I swear that I own the only gun that 100% chokes on Gold Dots. Every. Single. One. Literally the gun smashes the bullet opening like a lil sammich. Bullet looks all smushed up. And I had ammo cans of Gold Dots ready for that gun.

It sucks but you gotta feed it what it wants. You lucked out that the other barrel solves the issue. Even luckier if that working barrel is available to buy so you don’t have to gut your other firearm to make this one whole.

Me personally I’d definitely stick with HST in 9 mm. I’d have to get that finicky barrel out of that gun though. That way I could shoot whatever ammo I wanted.

I sorta said it before. I know Taurus is an inexpensive polymer handgun however, while some have had a good experience with them there are many bad experiences with them. There are many inexpensive polymer handguns with better reputations and better customer service. If you look at the cost, about $300 or less and what you are spending on ammo at current prices, especially self defense ammo, you are not being cost effective with a problem, ineffective handgun.

I sorta said it before. I know Taurus is an inexpensive polymer handgun however, while some have had a good experience with them there are many bad experiences with them. There are many inexpensive polymer handguns with better reputations and better customer service. If you look at the cost, about $300 or less and what you are spending on ammo at current prices, especially self defense ammo, you are not being cost effective with a problem, ineffective handgun.
Great points!

The Beretta APX line of pistols is far superior and an amazing bargain to be had for around $350.00 at Bass Pro.

I would use hornady critical defense. It has much narrower nose and it has the polymer filled hollow that supposedly performs better than other hollow points. No ftf with that and still have ftf with the crown. The v crown has very sharp edges and much larger diameter of the hole.

I can't speak to whether or not CD cycles better in the Taurus, but I can tell you there are plenty of guns it doesn't cycle well in.

Just an update on this issue. This last weekend a machinist friend of mine did a world class polishing job on the feed ramp and surrounding areas of the G3C barrel. The feed ramp looked nothing short of spectacular when he was finished. I loaded up a few magazines of the HST 147 grain 9mm and......third round nosedived right into the feed ramp and jammed bigger than life and twice as ugly. I once again switched out my G2C barrel with the G3C barrel, mainly to try and show another human being that I'm not crazy and the G2C barrel in my G3C handgun worked the HST ammo flawlessly so there is just something about that G3C barrel that will not consistently feed the 147 grain HST hollow points....sigh.......so I'm done testing and trying to fix it. I'm going to look for a G2C barrel after market and install it in the G3C. Other than not having matching serial numbers on the barrel and frame, it should solve the problem. Frustrating to say the least....

I'm sure you have but I will ask anyway , have you compared the barrels of both guns side by side ? Like maybe there is a slightly different angle to the feed ramp of one compared to the other?
Yes sir, my machinist buddy agreed with me that there is a slightly different angle on the underside of the feed ramp between the two barrels. What I mean is the G2C barrel seems to be more evenly machined on the underside of the feed ramp. The G3C barrel almost looks as if one side wasn't machined as evenly as the G2C. I know that sounds crazy, but I'm thinking it may be just enough to cause an inconsistency in the feeding of that one type of ammo. Otherwise, the barrels of the two handguns look identical as far as how they are made. It's hard to explain. My friend offered to try and grind on it a bit, and I may take him up on it eventually. I racked about 50 or 60 HST rounds thru it with the G2C barrel in the G3C and didn't have any jams at all.

How about some benign neglect if the thing works straight out of the box? I never clean, oil, or polish. The damn thing should be good for a thousand shots without any of that. To me, that is all I expect from my guns while I am waiting for a dumbass who would come uninvited at 2 a.m. Periodically, I go to the Second Amendment Sports range to check if they are still capable. I do use the most ordinary 115 Lugar.

What I immediately objected to and took care of was that awful grip on my G3C as holding a gun should not be torture. Twenty minutes with 800 sandpaper took care of that.

Thank you. I will try the Hornady critical defense and see how it works. My brother uses that in is 9 mm( not the g3c) and he swears by it

Back