testtest

Taurus G3C 9mm FTF issue

I don’t know if that’s true or not. I’ve only got 124 gr.
I've been shopping around for a Taurus G2C barrel that I can install in the G3C and just be done with it. The G3C shoots very well, it's a nice sub compact 9mm that actually fits my hands so I hate to just get rid of it. I called Taurus and the G2C barrel is interchangeable with the G3C so if I can find one, it should solve the issue.

I would very much like to try the 124 grain, all my HST is 147 grain. I don't know if this is true or not, but I was told that the 124 grain round is a bit shorter than the 147 grain? It's hard to find right now but I'd definitely like to try it.
Well of course the 147 is a longer bullet than the 124, BUT the OAL can only be so much for a 9mm to function and fit the chamber. The 147 is pushed into the cartridge more than the 124 and the 147 will have less powder for that very reason. Compression loads in most instances is not a good thing. Most 147gr 9mm is subsonic because it does have less powder than lighter bullets and to keep the pressure in the safe range.

Well of course the 147 is a longer bullet than the 124, BUT the OAL can only be so much for a 9mm to function and fit the chamber. The 147 is pushed into the cartridge more than the 124 and the 147 will have less powder for that very reason. Compression loads in most instances is not a good thing. Most 147gr 9mm is subsonic because it does have less powder than lighter bullets and to keep the pressure in the safe range.
That's what I'm curious about. I'm wondering if the shorter round would have the same nose diving jam issue that I'm having with the 147 grain round. Soon as I can find a box, I'll buy some and see how it runs thru the G3C.

Had same FTF issue with JHP on a G3C. What resolved it for me is in line with your previous post about the barrel “machining...on the underside of the feed ramp”. Proceed with caution as the best way is to return to Taurus. However, I took 220 grit sandpaper on a flat bench and flattened the underside of the feed ramp. Sandpaper was used to avoid being too aggressive. Probably moved it back and forth about 40 to 50 times total. Picture shows a pointer to exactly what part of the barrel I’m talking about (although it’s laying on its side just for the photo). Also, please check all ammo for any setback issues If you’ve been chambering rounds and getting FTFs.

Attachments

• IMG_0005.jpg
    IMG_0005.jpg
    573.9 KB · Views: 530
Had same FTF issue with JHP on a G3C. What resolved it for me is in line with your previous post about the barrel “machining...on the underside of the feed ramp”. Proceed with caution as the best way is to return to Taurus. However, I took 220 grit sandpaper on a flat bench and flattened the underside of the feed ramp. Sandpaper was used to avoid being too aggressive. Probably moved it back and forth about 40 to 50 times total. Picture shows a pointer to exactly what part of the barrel I’m talking about (although it’s laying on its side just for the photo). Also, please check all ammo for any setback issues If you’ve been chambering rounds and getting FTFs.
Thanks for the info. I've got a replacement barrel ordered for mine, should be in Saturday. It's a G2C barrel but I'm thinking it will solve the problem with the HST ammo jamming issues.

I would very much like to try the 124 grain, all my HST is 147 grain. I don't know if this is true or not, but I was told that the 124 grain round is a bit shorter than the 147 grain? It's hard to find right now but I'd definitely like to try it.

I got some Hornady critical defense 115 gr. and tried them. They run through the gun perfectly. A little higher in price but worth knowing they will work. Thanks for everyone's input

I got some Hornady critical defense 115 gr. and tried them. They run through the gun perfectly. A little higher in price but worth knowing they will work. Thanks for everyone's input
That's what I carry and they've always cycled well in my firearms. Just ran two boxes through my XD-M Elite 3.8 Compact last week without an issue. They're specifically designed for short barreled pistols, and are totally reliable in my experience.

That's what I carry and they've always cycled well in my firearms. Just ran two boxes through my XD-M Elite 3.8 Compact last week without an issue. They're specifically designed for short barreled pistols, and are totally reliable in my experience.

This is why you still need to check with your particular gun before carrying with any ammo. Lots of people love CD, but it doesn't cycle in all my .45s. It's why I switched them all over to 230 gr. HSTs, which does cycle and performs very well in all my .45s.

Have a similar issue with my G3. Eats all FMJ rounds but any flat nose HPs get jammed at the lip of the ramp. Horandy Critical defense with polymer tips run great. My jams only happen with a full mag so I’m chalking it up to maybe mag springs. I did polish the feed ramp and have about 200 rounds through it. I have a G2c that eats anything. I’m gonna break both down side my side and see what the difference maybe and report back if I have a fix.

I’ll try that thanks a bunch

G3 FTF problem solved. I filed down the underside of feed ramp and polsihed it. It dry cylcled like a dream. See pics. Thanks to this thread, really appreciated your input.

Attachments

• 20201204_112632.jpg
    20201204_112632.jpg
    982.6 KB · Views: 622
  • 20201204_112725.jpg
    20201204_112725.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 608
  • 20201204_112837.jpg
    20201204_112837.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 921
  • 20201204_113006.jpg
    20201204_113006.jpg
    806.3 KB · Views: 558
  • 20201204_113130.jpg
    20201204_113130.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 734
  • 20201204_113301.jpg
    20201204_113301.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 819
  • 20201204_113412.jpg
    20201204_113412.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 674
  • 20201204_113501.jpg
    20201204_113501.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 609
Have a similar issue with my G3. Eats all FMJ rounds but any flat nose HPs get jammed at the lip of the ramp. Horandy Critical defense with polymer tips run great. My jams only happen with a full mag so I’m chalking it up to maybe mag springs. I did polish the feed ramp and have about 200 rounds through it. I have a G2c that eats anything. I’m gonna break both down side my side and see what the difference maybe and report back if I have a fix.
Try ordering some Wolfe Springs. Rob Leatham once told me that JHP's were slightly more accurate than FMJ so that is what I loaded for competition (USPSA using a Kimber 1911). Unfortunately my 1911 was not all that fond of JHP's even using Wilson mags. Not a cost issue I was reloading. After replacing with Wolfe Springs I had no issues.

Ghosttwofive - don’t waste your time testing the 124gr - it’ll do it as well.
I just unpacked my new G3c and tested simply loading some 124gr HST and it failed to feed a few of the 10 I loaded.(2 of 10)
Just wrote Taurus to see what can be done besides “change carry load”.
Thank you for starting this conversation - I have a few 100 rds of this and was excited to try the new G3c *until I saw this issue and started reading this. Now it looks like I’ll either have to double the cost of the gun by finding a g2c or spend it on other ammo that I !hope! works. Not fun saying “hope” referring to this stuff.
I attached a pic for anyone that hasn’t seen the issue yet.

Attachments

• 3398F531-BB8E-4A0B-9443-C113911E1F37.jpeg
    3398F531-BB8E-4A0B-9443-C113911E1F37.jpeg
    871.9 KB · Views: 309
  • C1B7C05D-BE52-488D-A60F-FF98F3D7B891.jpeg
    C1B7C05D-BE52-488D-A60F-FF98F3D7B891.jpeg
    1,008.2 KB · Views: 339
Ghosttwofive - don’t waste your time testing the 124gr - it’ll do it as well.
I just unpacked my new G3c and tested simply loading some 124gr HST and it failed to feed a few of the 10 I loaded.(2 of 10)
Just wrote Taurus to see what can be done besides “change carry load”.
Thank you for starting this conversation - I have a few 100 rds of this and was excited to try the new G3c *until I saw this issue and started reading this. Now it looks like I’ll either have to double the cost of the gun by finding a g2c or spend it on other ammo that I !hope! works. Not fun saying “hope” referring to this stuff.
I attached a pic for anyone that hasn’t seen the issue yet.
Hey thanks for the post, good to know I'm not crazy...well, not crazier anyway. Your pic nails it perfectly. A little updated information, I started searching around for a G2C barrel to replace the G3C barrel since my G2C barrel seems to be interchangeable with the G3C barrel and the G2C barrel runs the HST rounds flawlessly. I'm attaching a pic, centering on the cut of the feed ramp of the barrel of the G2C and the G3C. The barrel on the right is my G3C and the barrel on the left if the G2C. As you can see, the cut on the G2C, on the left, is much more even and precise. The barrel on the right looks like a much narrower cut and does not look exact like the barrel on the left. I think that may be the issue on why it will not feed the HST rounds. This was just a theory, but I went online and ordered a G2C barrel off of Ebay to test my theory. Here's where it gets weird. The G2C barrel came in last weekend and looked exactly like the barrel on the right as far as the feed ramp cut.....so, predictably, when I installed the bought G2C barrel into my G3C, the first round of HST I ran thru it did the nosedive jam first thing, and subsequent rounds did the same thing, about 5/10 HST rounds jammed. I installed the barrel on the left back into the G3C and there were no jams whatsoever with any kind of hollow point. So, just to summarize, newly bought G2C barrels are not necessarily going to work, I think it all depends on how the barrel itself is machined. I'm no machinist, and I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, but I think the machining on these barrels may need some quality control. My G3 barrel feed ramp looks very similar to the G2C machining and it runs HST ammo flawlessly. At this point, I'm going to just not run HST in my Taurus G3C, but it really does make me question it's reliability no matter what kind of ammo I run. I would carry my G2C concealed with no issue whatsoever and I do, but I find myself skipping over the G3C because of the barrel issue. I think if I took the two barrels to a machinist or a gunsmith, that person may be able to machine the G3C barrel to look more like the G2C, and I'm considering doing just that, but I'm also considering just selling it at this point and putting the money toward a Springfield compact 9mm. I have to say, this is the only problem I've ever encountered with Taurus firearms so I don't want to come off as I'm beating up on them or anything, it's just worrisome when you don't trust your firearm, ya' know?

Dhein5, thanks again for the post, I very much appreciate it.

G2C pic.jpg

Wow, this is an amazing thread and really helped me, thought my new G3C was broke out of the box. When I got it I put about 200 rounds of FMJ thru it with no issues at all. Finally scored some HST as a home defense round (got to love the Pandemic) and when I went to rack the first one it, jammed, exactly as described here, I mean really jammed, gouged the tip/jacket of the bullet really deep. Thought maybe I short stroked it, second one did the same. Switched mags and same issues, FTF happened randomly. Reloaded with FMJ and cycled all 3 mags without an issue. Put the HST back in and random FTF and when they did it was very difficult to clear and essentially ruined the bullet. This would have been scary on the range during live fire.

Before I bought the G3C I watched all the online reviews, 500 round torture tests with all kinds of bad/dirty ammo and the thing ran all of them like a champ. Again, it got such overall rave reviews and was an upgrade from the G2C that I made the decision to buy it and I was very disappointed to say the least...until I did an internet search and came upon this thread.

I took out my barrel and inspected the lower edge of the feed ramp. The ramp itself was polished to perfection and the bottom was smooth and very flat. I placed the barrel with the flat bottom down on a flat marble surface and tried to push it from the barrel end towards the feed ramp. The edge instantly stuck/bit into the marble. I got out a microscope and looked at the leading edge of the lower feed ramp, sharp as could be with what looked like a burr across the C shape. I took some 320 grit paper and lightly wet sanded the edge, I had to do it lightly or it would cut the paper. After a couple minutes the burr and sharp edge was gone and it would no longer bite into the marble. Reassembled the gun and it fed round after round of the HST in all of the magazine. Switched back and forth from HST to FMJ until I got tired of racking, not one FTF.

Could this just be a need to lightly deburr that edge? Not sure but this appeared to work for me. I am an engineer but not a gunsmith so who knows. I seriously doubt if the light sanding I did to that edge could change the function of the gun, but I would warn everyone to proceed at their own risk. I just wasn't going to send a brand new gun back to Taurus. Like someone else said, they would probably return it and say nothing was wrong or change ammo.

Sorry for the long first post but I had to say THANK YOU to ghosttwofive, GBT and everyone else who contributed to this thread. I joined this forum just to say THANKS AGAIN. This might restore some faith in believing stories on the internet can be true....nah!

Wow, this is an amazing thread and really helped me, thought my new G3C was broke out of the box. When I got it I put about 200 rounds of FMJ thru it with no issues at all. Finally scored some HST as a home defense round (got to love the Pandemic) and when I went to rack the first one it, jammed, exactly as described here, I mean really jammed, gouged the tip/jacket of the bullet really deep. Thought maybe I short stroked it, second one did the same. Switched mags and same issues, FTF happened randomly. Reloaded with FMJ and cycled all 3 mags without an issue. Put the HST back in and random FTF and when they did it was very difficult to clear and essentially ruined the bullet. This would have been scary on the range during live fire.

Before I bought the G3C I watched all the online reviews, 500 round torture tests with all kinds of bad/dirty ammo and the thing ran all of them like a champ. Again, it got such overall rave reviews and was an upgrade from the G2C that I made the decision to buy it and I was very disappointed to say the least...until I did an internet search and came upon this thread.

I took out my barrel and inspected the lower edge of the feed ramp. The ramp itself was polished to perfection and the bottom was smooth and very flat. I placed the barrel with the flat bottom down on a flat marble surface and tried to push it from the barrel end towards the feed ramp. The edge instantly stuck/bit into the marble. I got out a microscope and looked at the leading edge of the lower feed ramp, sharp as could be with what looked like a burr across the C shape. I took some 320 grit paper and lightly wet sanded the edge, I had to do it lightly or it would cut the paper. After a couple minutes the burr and sharp edge was gone and it would no longer bite into the marble. Reassembled the gun and it fed round after round of the HST in all of the magazine. Switched back and forth from HST to FMJ until I got tired of racking, not one FTF.

Could this just be a need to lightly deburr that edge? Not sure but this appeared to work for me. I am an engineer but not a gunsmith so who knows. I seriously doubt if the light sanding I did to that edge could change the function of the gun, but I would warn everyone to proceed at their own risk. I just wasn't going to send a brand new gun back to Taurus. Like someone else said, they would probably return it and say nothing was wrong or change ammo.

Sorry for the long first post but I had to say THANK YOU to ghosttwofive, GBT and everyone else who contributed to this thread. I joined this forum just to say THANKS AGAIN. This might restore some faith in believing stories on the internet can be true....nah!
Thank you for the info. Would you have time to inbox me what you did exactly sir? I'd be more than willing to get some 320 grit sandpaper and try and do what you did but I'd just like to know exactly how you proceeded. Thanks again for the info.

Back