testtest

Taurus G3C 9mm FTF issue

Interesting idea. Since I have both apart for cleaning I took one of my Federal HST rounds and dropped it into both barrels. It dropped in and fell out. Also your situation doesn't explain the failure to go into battery when installing a full mag into an empty gun.
I think rather than carry the G3C I will break it in more and carry the G2S instead until I am convinced that the G3 will not fail to go into battery or I have had to actually send it away.
I will be updating this post as things progress
Mine won't plunk any ammo - but it has no issues feeding - just extracting because the case hangs up in the chamber - extractor would skip off the rim.

".............................................." Also your situation doesn't explain the failure to go into battery when installing a full mag. "............................"
When you let the slide go to battery did you 'slingshot' it, or drop the slide stop, or just let it go easily with your hand?

Edit: To correct typo.

Interesting idea. Since I have both apart for cleaning I took one of my Federal HST rounds and dropped it into both barrels. It dropped in and fell out. Also your situation doesn't explain the failure to go into battery when installing a full mag into an empty gun.
I think rather than carry the G3C I will break it in more and carry the G2S instead until I am convinced that the G3 will not fail to go into battery or I have had to actually send it away.
I will be updating this post as things progress
When you let the slide go to battery did you 'slingshot' it, or drop the slide stop, or just let it go easily with your hand?

Edit: To correct typo.
I have had the failure to go to battery with all 3 ways. Though the "slingshot" method is not as easy due to some old nerve damage in my neck/shoulder area my left hand does not have the grip strength it should. So while I can pull the slide easily enough holding it tight enough is a little tough. My brother has no such issue with his left hand and when he tried it he easily made it slingshot rounds into battery with no failure. Oddly my G2S easily puts the rounds into battery with no issue no matter how I do it. I can hold the slide on that one and it will easily slip a round in with no issue. However I have put far more rounds through it than the G3C. The 3C seems to be getting better as I use it. So I am taking a wait and see with it.

I ran across this forum as I researched the issue I have had with my new G3C. I have only shot FMJ at this point - about 350 rounds. I have had some FTF’s with the cartridge jamming against the bottom of the barrel feed ramp. It only happens with the cartridges that have a somewhat flat nose (Blaser 147gr, Speer). It seems that there is enough “slop or looseness” in the barrel that there is enough gap between the barrel feed ramp and the lower feed ramp so the cartridge gets jammed in the gap. I haven’t been able to get any JHP ammo, but know this type of ammo has a flat face. I am concerned that a carry gun with defensive ammo would have this reliability issue. I like everything else about the gun.

I ran across this forum as I researched the issue I have had with my new G3C. I have only shot FMJ at this point - about 350 rounds. I have had some FTF’s with the cartridge jamming against the bottom of the barrel feed ramp. It only happens with the cartridges that have a somewhat flat nose (Blaser 147gr, Speer). It seems that there is enough “slop or looseness” in the barrel that there is enough gap between the barrel feed ramp and the lower feed ramp so the cartridge gets jammed in the gap. I haven’t been able to get any JHP ammo, but know this type of ammo has a flat face. I am concerned that a carry gun with defensive ammo would have this reliability issue. I like everything else about the gun.
I ended up having mine repaired with Taurus using their lifetime warranty. Their notes indicated they replaced a slide spring, and made adjustment to the slide. They made no mention at all of working on the barrel, but whatever they did solved the issue. My G3C is now able to cycle any ammunition I put thru it. I had the same issue with rounds nose diving into the bottom of the feed ramp, mainly 147 grain Federal HST rounds.

I ended up having mine repaired with Taurus using their lifetime warranty. Their notes indicated they replaced a slide spring, and made adjustment to the slide. They made no mention at all of working on the barrel, but whatever they did solved the issue. My G3C is now able to cycle any ammunition I put thru it. I had the same issue with rounds nose diving into the bottom of the feed ramp, mainly 147 grain Federal HST rounds.
Thanks, I read your post and am wondering if a weak spring would cause the issue. I am surprised at the amount of slop in the barreI and with gun titled to the side, I reracked the next round with no problem. I hesitate to spend the money to ship back a new gun so will try to get my hands on defense ammo for more testing.

I think mine may have simply been a "break in" issue as it is not feeding anything I throw at it whether JHP or FMJ. So I have more JHP coming and I may just put another 30 or 40 of that through it but so far so good. I am feeling confident about it. Just not as confident with my own accuracy with it. I am still not used to a semi auto. I prefer my revolver but it's not practical for a EDC. I will post more as I shoot it more wit more different types

Thanks, I read your post and am wondering if a weak spring would cause the issue. I am surprised at the amount of slop in the barreI and with gun titled to the side, I reracked the next round with no problem. I hesitate to spend the money to ship back a new gun so will try to get my hands on defense ammo for more testing.
The shipping the handgun to Taurus was my only complaint, flat rate of $50 to ship 2nd day Fed Ex. Otherwise, Taurus did a very admirable job fixing the handgun. You are very correct on the slop in the barrel. There seems to be an inordinate amount of play where the barrel hits the frame near the feed ramp, that was why I was so convinced it was a barrel issue. The funny thing is, on the G2C, the G3C's predecessor, I've literally had no jams, no FTF or FTE, nothing at all. There is noticeably less play in the barrel than the G3C, I guess it's just a matter of how they're made.

I don't have the G2C I have a G2S. I too thought the "slop" was an issue but than I compared my G3C to the G2S and they were identical in that regard. The more I run the G3C the smoother it becomes. I do clean it well and lube it after every outing to the range. Same with the G2S. Perhaps if I had tried putting JHP in the G2S when it was as "new" and "tight" as the G3C was when I tried it the same thing may have happened. I guess I will never know. For now, I will just continue to break in the G3C and report. One thing I noticed on my last outing with it as well is it shot "truer" than my first outing with it. Now, perhaps this was me just getting used to it (though considering the G2S is so similar not sure) but I know my grouping and placement was tighter. But that damn front sight came loose again even though I reinstalled it last time with loctite blue. I have Loctite red but I don't dare use that LOL. I would never be able to ever get it off again

Okay, well I'm going to post what I hope will be a final resolution to this issue and the rabbit hole goes even deeper. On Friday December 11th, having tried several fixes but none successful as far as solving the HST ammo jam issue, I called Taurus customer service, had about a 10 minute conversation with a very knowledgeable rep who listened, repeated the issue back to me that I was having, gave me a ticket number and asked me to send the handgun back to them. This is my only gripe about the whole process, is that I had to pay $50.00 to ship it two day Fed-Ex to them, but in the end it was worth it. So, I got it shipped out at around noon on Friday the 11th, it was accepted first thing Monday morning the 14th. Thursday the 17th I got a notice that it had been inspected, repaired, and was being prepared to ship back to me via Fed-Ex.........but with no information on what they had done. I was a bit skeptical, actually I was very skeptical, I didn't get the email until after they closed on Wednesday so I called them first thing Thursday morning and asked for the same rep who was, to my amazement, actually available. She looked up my ticket number, confirmed what I had stated about the barrel and the ammo FTF issue, and stated they had replaced, get this, replaced the slide catch, replaced the slide catch spring, and made an adjustment to the slide............no mention of the barrel whatsoever. I verified with the rep that the barrel checked out ok, politely ended the conversation then just sulked at the fact that once again, customer service is a thing of the past and that I could fully expect my Taurus G3C to jam just as it had before i sent it back to them. So, again surprisingly, Fed Ex delivered my pistol back this last Saturday morning around 10am, quick shipping from Bainbridge, GA. I got the handgun out of the box, noticed it had definitely been fired, I cleaned it before I sent it to them, so definitely had been test fired. I'm no gunsmith, that's for damn sure, but I didn't notice anything different in the internals, just that it needed cleaned, which I did. After getting it all broken down, cleaned, oiled, and put back together, I put 15 rounds of HST 147 grain in one of my 15 round extended mags, locked the slide back, hit the slide release, got ready to laugh snarkily and...........the first HST round cycled perfectly......as did the 2nd, the 3rd, all the way up to and including the last round. I quickly loaded a 12 round magazine from a different box of HST rounds........all 12 cycled perfectly and without issue. I then loaded up 6 magazines, 2 15-round ones and 4 12-round mags with a vast assortment of Federal HST, American Eagle FMJ, Winchester Silver Tips, Hornady, Remington Golden Sabre, and Speer. All of it was 147 grain....6 mags, no malfunctions at all. I did this obsessively over the next couple of hours, trying to make something jam but I could not. so, much to my surprised, they fixed it.....now my question to the many more gunsmith savvy members here is....HOW WAS THE PROBLEM NOT BARREL RELATED???????? I mean, they HAD to have done something to the barrel, didn't they? If I put the G3C barrel into the G2C, I no longer have the issue with HST rounds jamming in the G2C which I did before I sent the handgun off for repair. Possibly they didn't notate something they did to the barrel? Am I taking crazy pills here?...lol. Don't get me wrong, I'm thrilled the issue is fixed but I had really done a lot of testing to arrive at the conclusion it was something barrel related. The slide catch and catch spring never even entered into my mind......anyway, just wanted to post some closure to this topic, this one will keep me shaking my head for a while. Going to take it to the range this weekend and sacrifice some hollow points to make sure it actually works ok, but it's cycling just fine now. Thanks for all the tips and info everyone posted, I really appreciate it. Kudos to Taurus warranty repair, with the exception of high shipping cost of the weapon, they were top notch all the way from start to finish.
Thank you so very much for all this immensely helpful information!

The amount of time and effort you spent troubleshooting much less the time it took to post all of this is truly remarkable!

I picked up my Taurus G3C on January 14 and have the exact same issue with 147g HST and Speer Gold Dot 124g GDHP.

After reading this entire post, I'm going to cut to the chase and contact Taurus Customer Service.

Would you mind sharing the name of the "very knowledgeable rep" that assisted you?

Thanks again for all your diligence!

Thank you so very much for all this immensely helpful information!

The amount of time and effort you spent troubleshooting much less the time it took to post all of this is truly remarkable!

I picked up my Taurus G3C on January 14 and have the exact same issue with 147g HST and Speer Gold Dot 124g GDHP.

After reading this entire post, I'm going to cut to the chase and contact Taurus Customer Service.

Would you mind sharing the name of the "very knowledgeable rep" that assisted you?

Thanks again for all your diligence!
You're more than welcome. Let me get to my emails and I'll try and get the name. I think I have it there but if not, I'll check the paperwork from my return when I get home and get back to you.

I don't think you can email to a specific rep directly. Also primit I would really see if the thing "breaks in". Mine is now working without any issue and putting shots downrange perfectly. Now the only "issue" I have is the front sight keeps loosening up even though I have fully removed it, cleaned the threads and reinstalled it with Loctite blue. If anyone has a tip for that. I would like to know. But, I have to say I am confident enough in it to carry it now (other than the sight)

I don't think you can email to a specific rep directly. Also primit I would really see if the thing "breaks in". Mine is now working without any issue and putting shots downrange perfectly. Now the only "issue" I have is the front sight keeps loosening up even though I have fully removed it, cleaned the threads and reinstalled it with Loctite blue. If anyone has a tip for that. I would like to know. But, I have to say I am confident enough in it to carry it now (other than the sight)
Thank you for the info! I'm hoping I can just get the name so that if I need to resort to Customer Service, at least I could get to someone knowledgeable and helpful regarding the issue.

I just bought a G3C today. And went to the range to bang out a couple mags thru it real quick to kinda get a feel for it, and was letting my friend's wife bang a few rounds out 1st, and had NOTHING BUT PROBLEMS trying to chamber a round of these here BLAZER 147gr. FMJ rounds.... The first 4 halfway came up out of the mag and jammed against the lower edge of the ramp mashing up the tip of the rounds. And then after the 4 or 5 that did actually chamber and she fired, it would jam up every round behind it when itd cycle. Well, tried to cycle.... Anyways, in the next day or two we are going back out to the range with some different ammo. So i will be back with yall in a few days with what happens. Also, does anyone know if the G3C is rated to fire +P+ ammo or not?

Update....put about 200 rounds thru the G3C last weekend, still having the issues with Federal HST catching when you drop the slide. Strange that it's such an intermittent problem, not an every round issue. I've decided to just run the Hornady 135 grain Critical Duty as my carry ammo instead of risking a failure to feed when it counts. I've just never owned a handgun that didn't work with a certain type of ammo, it's a bit frustrating..lol
i have a CZ 75B, 9mm, it does not like steel case (Wolf) ammo.

i have a Remington R 1911 .45ACP, it does not like Blazer brass ammo

my G3c, does not like reloaded ammo. (from a very reputable reloader supplier in my area)

my Glock G-17 4th Gen, eats anything and everything and begs for more.

so yes, many times, some guns just do not like what we feed them.

According to the owners manual, all Taurus firearms chambered for 9mm are rated for Plus P ammunition that is SAAMI compliant. The owners manual also states not to use reloaded ammunition.

According to the owners manual, all Taurus firearms chambered for 9mm are rated for Plus P ammunition that is SAAMI compliant. The owners manual also states not to use reloaded ammunition.
nearly all gun makers say not to use reloaded ammo.

it's an insurance thing.

i been using quality reloaded ammo for quite some time now. the only problem(s) i have had are shortages and the occasional gun that just does not like it.

but ALL my .45 ACP guns, whether they be 1911's or not, and nearly all my 9mm's eat it up, save for the Taurus G3c.

Back