testtest

The Importance of Proper Gun and Ammo Storage

Good little article on storing ammo and guns, good read for beginners and the experienced shooters.

Great advice!

This is something a lot of people don't put too much thought into. I keep Damp Rid buckets in my safes and moisturizer absorbing packets in ammo boxes to avoid any moisture related issues with my firearms or ammo.

Rust can set in quick on certain guns once it starts and it can literally happen overnight in the right conditions.

Great advice!

This is something a lot of people don't put too much thought into. I keep Damp Rid buckets in my safes and moisturizer absorbing packets in ammo boxes to avoid any moisture related issues with my firearms or ammo.

Rust can set in quick on certain guns once it starts and it can literally happen overnight in the right conditions.
Mine are kept in a bedroom closet, always cool and dry.

Great advice!

10, are the packets those silica ones?

Great advice!

Do Yeet Cannons rust, Dr. Yeet :unsure:
:p😁

Except for my older S & W revolvers which came in those smaller blue boxes, most of my other handguns are stacked in my safe in boxes from Protecta-gun : http://protecta-gun.com/ They also sell brown Kraft paper that is plastic coated for wrapping up your guns. My safe queens are wrapped up tight and stored in these boxes which keeps them from getting scratched up. Another reason I do this is to protect my pistols should someone actually manage to turn my safe over if my house is broken in to. Hopefully they won't have enough time to break into the safe and my pistols won't be damaged during the attempt.

Thanks for the info Anni, very good article.
Plain old kitty litter is a good widely available and inexpensive desiccant too. Put kitty litter in a plastic cereal sized bowl and or net bag close to firearms to keep any possible litter mess to a minimum. Works well in larger enclosed areas like many safes and closets.

Thanks for the info Anni, very good article.
Plain old kitty litter is a good widely available and inexpensive desiccant too. Put kitty litter in a plastic cereal sized bowl and or net bag close to firearms to keep any possible litter mess to a minimum. Works well in larger enclosed areas like many safes and closets.
No kitty litter for me, my cat thinks she owns everything now, don’t need her to think my gun safe is also hers……..😬

I'm surprised no one mentioned the Golden Rod, the tubular device that prevents rust in your safe. I put one in mine and it works great. Wipe your guns down with an oiled rag, it will remove sweaty prints.

May be a reason for that?
Golden rod is 110/120VAC needs to be plugged in, not any electrical outlets or holes for one in many firearm safes.

Other requirements per description:

"The GoldenRod Dehumidifier Rod is designed to handle humidity from the interior of your safe, locker or cabinet and protects against rust by generating a low level of heat that removes moisture from the air. All GoldenRod Dehumidifier Rods come with a detachable plug for easier mounting. This model must be mounted horizontally at the bottom of an enclosure to work properly."

May be a reason for that?
Golden rod is 110/120VAC needs to be plugged in, not any electrical outlets or holes for one in many firearm safes.

Other requirements per description:

"The GoldenRod Dehumidifier Rod is designed to handle humidity from the interior of your safe, locker or cabinet and protects against rust by generating a low level of heat that removes moisture from the air. All GoldenRod Dehumidifier Rods come with a detachable plug for easier mounting. This model must be mounted horizontally at the bottom of an enclosure to work properly."

Larger safes typically coming with a location to allow cords through or have an outlet already inside the safe for lighting and dehumidifier rods.

Larger safes typically coming with a location to allow cords through or have an outlet already inside the safe for lighting and dehumidifier rods.

Very likely possible 10mm, but haven't seen many or too detailed descriptions when was looking for safes and was no electrical outlets or pass throughs noticed on ones seen when personally viewing them. But, has been awhile and things available in different locations can change? Another thought is if or when power goes out, what then? Or, is an electrical outlet near by? If supplied cord is only 6' long, extension cords can easily be trip hazards. Could likely install an outlet in safe or wall, but how many people are capable of that? Not thinking everyone is. Is what was pointing towards with previous comment.

Am not trying to beat on product or idea, but not everyone or every safe has an electrical outlet or a pass through. Maybe a good reason for that for several reasons? Possible insect or moisture intrusion? Product and idea is likely a good one if it's usable for certain applications. There are certain requirements needed with safes and other products, they're not all compatible or easily compatible.

Very likely possible 10mm, but haven't seen many or too detailed descriptions when was looking for safes and was no electrical outlets or pass throughs noticed on ones seen when personally viewing them. But, has been awhile and things available in different locations can change? Another thought is if or when power goes out, what then? Or, is an electrical outlet near by? If supplied cord is only 6' long, extension cords can easily be trip hazards. Could likely install an outlet in safe or wall, but how many people are capable of that? Not thinking everyone is. Is what was pointing towards with previous comment.

Am not trying to beat on product or idea, but not everyone or every safe has an electrical outlet or a pass through. Maybe a good reason for that for several reasons? Possible insect or moisture intrusion? Product and idea is likely a good one if it's usable for certain applications. There are certain requirements needed with safes and other products, they're not all compatible or easily compatible.
There can be a lot of variables with many products and not all products are right for everyone. I have a decent size safe for my main safe and I still use damp rid buckets in there as to avoid complications like you listed above.

Back