testtest

The Importance of Proper Gun and Ammo Storage

There can be a lot of variables with many products and not all products are right for everyone. I have a decent size safe for my main safe and I still use damp rid buckets in there as to avoid complications like you listed above.

Very much agreed.
The Goldenrod dehumidifier and Damprid are likely good products for those who can use them. Have seen too many instances where people rush out to get products w/o seeing or looking for differences beforehand. Are some variables here and there to consider before gathering the goods.

A simple incandescent light bulb's heat can help chase away moisture and dampness in certain locations.

Yup, that idea's gone to the birds? :)

Egg Hatching Drawing | Free download on ClipArtMag

May be a reason for that?
Golden rod is 110/120VAC needs to be plugged in, not any electrical outlets or holes for one in many firearm safes.

Other requirements per description:

"The GoldenRod Dehumidifier Rod is designed to handle humidity from the interior of your safe, locker or cabinet and protects against rust by generating a low level of heat that removes moisture from the air. All GoldenRod Dehumidifier Rods come with a detachable plug for easier mounting. This model must be mounted horizontally at the bottom of an enclosure to work properly."

Any safe with electric outlets in it or holes to install wiring are not going to do well in a flood. It has to affect the fire rating too. I bought a $15 Lockdown rechargeable dehumidifier. It has been working fine for years. Plug it in overnight once every two weeks or so.

Any safe with electric outlets in it or holes to install wiring are not going to do well in a flood. It has to affect the fire rating too. I bought a $15 Lockdown rechargeable dehumidifier. It has been working fine for years. Plug it in overnight once every two weeks or so.

Agreed on holes in safe BB, Is this what you're describing?

i have my ammo, and some of my guns in the basement, in locked cabinets. i have a dehumidifier and in each cabinet, a large desiccant bag, which can be dried out in the oven at low temps.

Drink your McDonalds coffee cold because you might get burned.

My safe has a hole in the back wall, as I'm sure others do. I drilled through the liner, stuck the cord through and attached the plug. Yep, I put it horizontally in the safe, right by the door cause heat rises. I did run an extension cord to it which lies along the back wall.

My comment was for informational purposes. If anyone chooses to do something else, go for it.

My safe has a hole in the back wall, as I'm sure others do. I drilled through the liner, stuck the cord through and attached the plug. Yep, I put it horizontally in the safe, right by the door cause heat rises. I did run an extension cord to it which lies along the back wall.

My comment was for informational purposes. If anyone chooses to do something else, go for it.

Yeah, you do you brother. I lost 90% of all my possessions in 2017 when my house flooded. So I'll not be drilling any holes in my safe. ;)

Anything that has a fire rating and a penetration should be equipped with an intumescent gasket that expands and seals the penetration. Most fire safes come equipped with this type of gasket on the door. I'm not personally a big fan of having any device that plugs into an outlet inside the safe with my firearms.

As for flooding that's a whole different issue.

Anything that has a fire rating and a penetration should be equipped with an intumescent gasket that expands and seals the penetration. Most fire safes come equipped with this type of gasket on the door. I'm not personally a big fan of having any device that plugs into an outlet inside the safe with my firearms.

As for flooding that's a whole different issue.

When a $20 rechargeable gadget does the job why would I drill any holes or remove any plugs ? I have never had any guns rust in a safe.

You could buy a tube of red intumescent fire caulking to seal the hole for the best chance at fire proofing the hole. We use it in construction all the time as it's required at all locations where holes are through a fire rated assembly.

I've had magnetized LED lights in my newest safe for about 3 years now. I haven't had to replace a battery yet. There's no reason to be drilling holes. In fact those magnetic lights look like light switches and I'm pretty sure I bought them at Harbor Freight. For $2 a piece or something.
I use an led battery light also for the main safe.

Back